• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 A-Max Jump

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
Just picked up my 300 Win Mag barreled action today and was checking the throat. I get a OAL of 3.590 using a 208 to reach the lands. The AI mag will allow for ~3.68 OAL. Question is, should I seat the A-Max to the lands, or leave ~.01 jump? Not sure if I need to leave a slight jump with a magnum cartridge, or if it will do better with the secant tangent ogive touching the lands.

I load all my AMAX bullets, including the 208, to .020" off the lands. They shoot great there for me.

I'll have to make more. The first rounds were loaded at 3.435. I figured that would give me the ability to shorten as needed in this custom chamber. Guess I'll go +.070 and + .135 with the same load weights and see how she does.

The culprit
9ia0z4.jpg

I found a jump of .030 to be the most accurate in my 700P. This makes the COAL about 3.632". I guess my factory chamber has a REALLY LONG throat.

Last edited: