• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

20MOA base and 20MOA scope mount?

cljl07

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
Hi everyone! New to these forums and new to long-distance shooting. While reading up on scope mounts I felt that the 20MOA mount was the correct choice for me, so I ordered one. However, I didn't know at the time that my rifle would come with a 20MOA base mount as well, so now I pretty much have a 40MOA scope, or 0MOA if I mount it backwards. Is 40MOA too much of an angle for shooting? I'm thinking I should just return the scope mount (purchased from Brownells) and buy either rings or a 0MOA mount. Thoughts?! Thanks in advance!

It depends on the scope, because the issue is going to be enough down travel to get you to zero with 40moa built in. What scope is it?

There are certainly ELR shooters who have 40moa bases, but I’ve never owned a scope with enough travel to set it up that way. Any good scope will do 20, and many 30, but 40 is a lot.

It depends on the scope, because the issue is going to be enough down travel to get you to zero with 40moa built in. What scope is it?

There are certainly ELR shooters who have 40moa bases, but I’ve never owned a scope with enough travel to set it up that way. Any good scope will do 20, and many 30, but 40 is a lot.
Thanks for the reply! It's a Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56mm scope w/SCR-MOA reticle. According to their website specs, it has 90MOA of elevation range at 100 m

Just got a spuhr with 6mil (20moa) to go on a tikka and hancock with 20moa rails. Gonna use a razor gen 2 with 33ish mil of travel. 12 mil from mount and rail is less than 1/2 and closer to 1/3 total travel. So I should be good for a lot of adjustment while still being in a good place at 100y zero