• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Rimfire Squirrel Rifles

Thanks.
I noticed as I became accustomed to the lighter rifle the groups shrinking. See the first ones I posted above.

Reactions: 629-4
I've taken to using my 22 cal AirKing springer for picking off squirrels.
It's quiet and accurate, ideal for stealth hunting where you don't want to draw attention.
Sub inch accuracy at 50 yards from a braced hold.

rws54-balance.JPG

At 20 yards no problem performing grey craniotomies.

color-pellets.jpeg

HW-95 in .177.

IMG_2204.jpg

Diana K-98 in .177.

Diana K98 and Squirrel.jpg

That one right under the stock is a BEAST ! Kinda like popcorn shrimp !

That chipmunk was my best shot. Those little buggers are hard to hit! The smaller animal targets should be the real trophies because they require all of one's marksmanship skills.

I absolutely love that Diana K-98. Where did you get it?

Mike

I got it from https://www.pyramydair.com/

I had all sorts of problems with it and had to work on it extensively. Go to this thread to see about some fixes for the rifle, starting at reply #26.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=131853.20

Realize that some people have never had any problem with the rifle. On the other hand, if it's a spring-powered air rifle, I have to work on it.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Beeman/Weihrauch line of air rifles. I've had to work on everyone of them right out of the box. After I've done that, they shoot like a dream.

The Air Arms ProSport has me drooling right now. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-arms-pro-sport?m=177

They only have them in beech. I want one in walnut. From everything that I've read, the ProSport is great right out of the box.

During the years when the Kenyan born marxist was in the whitehouse and rimfire ammo was hard to get, I immersed myself in the airgun world. Even with all the work that I've done on the springers, I'm still happy that I did.

I don't want to hijack the thread. So I'll post a photo of the RAR. I got it back from the gunsmith after having the barrel cut down and threaded for the suppressor. I still need to take it back out to the range with some good ammunition to see how it performs.

Here's the laundry list of modifications and add-ons:

Boyd's Rifle Stock
Glades Armory Extended Bolt Handle and Knob
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10X
Vortex Switchview Scope Lever
UTG Scope Rings
Timney Trigger
Leather Sling and Swivels
Williams dovetail blank
Cut down and thread barrel
SIG 22LR Suppressor

IMG_2860.jpg

Last edited:
I got it from https://www.pyramydair.com/

I had all sorts of problems with it and had to work on it extensively. Go to this thread to see about some fixes for the rifle, starting at reply #26.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=131853.20

Realize that some people have never had any problem with the rifle. On the other hand, if it's a spring-powered air rifle, I have to work on it.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Beeman/Weihrauch line of air rifles. I've had to work on everyone of them right out of the box. After I've done that, they shoot like a dream.

The Air Arms ProSport has me drooling right now. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-arms-pro-sport?m=177

They only have them in beech. I want one in walnut. From everything that I've read, the ProSport is great right out of the box.

During the years when the Kenyan born marxist was in the whitehouse and rimfire ammo was hard to get, I immersed myself in the airgun world. Even with all the work that I've done on the springers, I'm still happy that I did.

I don't want to hijack the thread. So I'll post a photo of the RAR. I got it back from the gunsmith after having the barrel cut down and threaded for the suppressor. I still need to take it back out to the range with some good ammunition to see how it performs.

Here's the laundry list of modifications and add-ons:

Boyd's Rifle Stock
Glades Armory Extended Bolt Handle and Knob
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10X
Vortex Switchview Scope Lever
UTG Scope Rings
Timney Trigger
Leather Sling and Swivels
Williams dovetail blank
Cut down and thread barrel
SIG 22LR Suppressor

View attachment 7629072
What's the most reasonably priced accurate 22 cal. Air rifle out there out of the box? That you wouldnt have to tune to death ?

Hey Longshot, great reply, I've seen some of the reviews on the springer, goo/bad. I also noticed you can get the Diana k-98 in PCP. I just think that a K98 in air rifle form is super cool. I could lay waste to the horde of starling in my back yard.

Mike

Is yours .177 or .22? I would probably opt for the .22

What's the most reasonably priced accurate 22 cal. Air rifle out there out of the box? That you wouldnt have to tune to death ?

I wish that I could answer that question for myself. I did purchase a PCP from Hajimoto productions and it’s a fantastic air rifle. He does makeovers on $300 Umarex Gauntlets.

You will need scuba tanks or a compressor. Sold all my scuba equipment a few years ago.

I could have kept a few tanks but I like the compressor better.

A friend of mine purchased the Gamo Swarm in .22. The scope left a little to be desired. I’m a self-confessed trigger snob but I have to say that for a $200 air rifle, it wasn’t bad.

Buy once cry once. I’m really lusting after the Air Arms ProSport. It’s really got my attention and it’s a proven design but anything that Air Arms makes is first class. Do a google search for reviews and videos. Keep in mind that the British reviews are of guns rated at less than 12 ft-lbs. it’s higher in the US.

Hey Longshot, great reply, I've seen some of the reviews on the springer, goo/bad. I also noticed you can get the Diana k-98 in PCP. I just think that a K98 in air rifle form is super cool. I could lay waste to the horde of starling in my back yard.

Mike

Is yours .177 or .22? I would probably opt for the .22

Mine are .177. If I had to do it over I would have got .22 but I’m happy with .177. It shoots Crosman heavy domed pellets 10.5 grains really well.

EDIT: This soup can was shot at 100 yards from the bench. On a calm day, I can hit it about 75% of the time. Believe it or not, I use the Sig Kilo 2400 ABS for a firing solution for this thing.

The scope from the earlier photo was swapped out in favor of the SWFA SS 10X. I put a DonnyFL silencer on the end. The barrel is threaded for the 1/2-20 UNF. Except for the piston slamming forward this thing is super quiet for anything with ears that is downrange.

Diana K98 Soup Can 100 yds.jpg

Last edited:
I am certainly jealous of those who also get a spring season for squirrels. Here in PA, we don’t have that luxury. Our season starts in September and is off-and-on until February. With that said, I hunt with multiple .22s, mostly being CZ; however, I enjoy using the 17HM2 more. My furtherest squirrel to date is 127 yards. Here are my two favorite squirrel rimfires. The CZ is a 17HM2 and the Single Six Hunter is 22LR.

THANK YOU! I had been wondering where all the dead squirrels were, with ALL this squirrel shooting!!! Nice pistol!

I'm a little late to the party, and maybe missing the mark, but we have some Henry 22LRs that are pretty good for squirrel. My Small Game Carbine (in the middle) is my favorite for tree chickens. My daughter likes her Golden Boy. My Evil Roy is pretty nice too.

Attachments

• family.jpg
    family.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 63
Dude your killin me,,,,,,,that SWFA scope and that Can on the front of that rifle. That's a sweet setup, I think I need one.

Mike

Reactions: Longshot231
I bought a nice little Remington 581 late last year. Everything appears fine, EXCEPT the trigger is frozen. I recall Remington packed these triggers with lithium grease. I'm thinking after 40 years it's set up. Hopefully a nice long soak in acetone will remove it. Anyway, it's my 'Summer Project'.

Reactions: RTH1800
I bought a Daystate Huntsman Revere 22 air rifle last year and the 22's haven't been out of the safe for a squirrel since. 12 shot magazine, great trigger and incredible accuracy, but the best thing is how quiet it is. The squirrels don't even run off when you pop one of their brothers. I regularly drop them at 75yds with this thing. Air guns have came a long way!

Attachments

• 20210206_094432.jpg
    20210206_094432.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 56
Here is a link to a squirrel hunting thread on RimfireCentral.com which is long, over 3,500 pages. Jump in on the last page if you want.

While I sit seething with envy at all your beautiful 52 Sporters.... totally enjoying this thread.

My squirrel rifles. Savage 29 bought new by my grandfather and after years of carrying and shooting... still looks almost new. And my Stevens dropping block. Marbles tang sight.
7DF1DD3C-DAEC-4A33-A037-07A0B68F4CDE.jpeg

Sadly, very few gray squirrels here. But lots of reds, which are pests. I leave the grays alone hoping the population will come back. We are in a hollow that just doesn’t have many grays. Never has. But tons and tons and tons of reds.

That Savage must be a deluxe model. I cleaned and sighted one for a friend last weekend. It was plan and uncheckered but otherwise identical.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
As squirrel season is about to open in Kansas and Missouri I am starting a thread about rifles and related items we utilize to hunt them. Was not sure if proper to post in this or the hunting thread but decided here as the main focus will be rifles and ammo.
I will be posting photos of my rifles, ammo, groups, DOPE etc.
I encourage others to make commnets and post thier own photos as well.
It will take me a while to get photos posted but will start today.
Rifle pictured is is old Winchester 52C factory Sporting Rifle.
The groups are Eley Match EPS bullet. listed at 1057 velocity. Both are 5 shot groups one at 50 and one at 100 yards. Both fired sitting with back against tree and tight sling.
Scope is Leupold 3-9 AO EFR. Dot reticule. I aim off top of dot at junction of fine CH. some vertical dispersion is caused by the inexact aiming point. I will trade out scope at some time. I sight rifles to shoot just above the POA. That way I can hold on bottom of squirrel eye and center it.
The flat nose EPS BULLET kills better than the older RN bullet. Rounds are all magazine fed just as they are in hunting.
Will post more information on this and other rifles later.
My 100 yard data is exactly +5 min above the 50 yard data. I find this odd as my 28" 52 is 7M plus to the same range with same ammo. The 24" barrel is faster and louder.
View attachment 7625244View attachment 7625245View attachment 7625246View attachment 7625247
That's good shooting for 100 yard .22. My system for KS squirrels is my Ruger 10-22 with Kidd barrel , Midas plus Ammo and a suppressor for most timber hunting . I'm aim and shoot out to 60 yards off a light tripod . But for pastures or open timber out comes the 22 magnum. I can put 10 in a quarter at 100 yards all day . So yea, I take 2 rifles on trips . I only head shoot them too. June 1 is coming up quick !

Reactions: RTH1800
I've already irritated the 22wmr fanboyz at RFC, might as well continue the tradition. :D

All day long with 10 shot quarter sized groups at 100 yards? I find it difficult to believe.
A US quarter is less than an inch in diameter.
That'd be sub-moa results at 100 yards...even match grade 22lr has problems getting that done.

I'd need to see it. The ammunition I've been shipped isn't capable of it.
Between mv spread in excess of 200 fps and sloppy bullet seating with irregular cartridge dimensions
it just ain't happening....didn't matter which setup I used or which barrel.

The 22wmr is a hunting cartridge...short range center of critter...not a precision paper punching cartridge.
And I was attempting it off a bench under controlled conditions, not out in the woods offhand or braced on a fence post.

I'd like to see a 50 at 100 attempted with the 22wmr to see if "all day long" is even possible.

Last edited:
Justin,

Glad your in the thread. Always value your information. While your here check out some of my wallet groups.😂

Also don’t go too hard on my fellow Kansan! We are good folks out here. Largely truthful as well.
👍

Man, I can’t even stay up all day long much less shoot well. You will not see me making that claim. 😁

Seriously, I can shoot good groups but my vision fades after a few groups and I need to rest my eyes or accuracy falls off.

Reactions: Rimdenter
Lil! Something to rile yur blood I have a bow stand by this feeder it's good for a limit 2 times a week.

Attachments

• spypoint_11722012889329.jpg
    spypoint_11722012889329.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 76
Nice rifle! Do you have any history on it, or is it a recent purchase?
DW
Winchester 1885 “Winder Musket” circa late 1918/early 1919 iirc, US Property stamped. Bought it from a guy who was selling an estate for a friend who passed away. Shoots good and still in great shape. I’ve had it for about a year now, shot it a few times and put it in safe.

My squirrel getter, just because I want to be different.
It's a .36 caliber flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle kit by Jim Kibler that I put together a couple of years ago. The barrel is made by Green Mountain and is 42" long, but is swamped (the middle of the barrel is smaller in it's outside diameter than at either end), so it's balanced real well. Over all weight is just over 7 pounds. It has double set triggers, and the let off is adjustable, but is just a few ounces. I paid extra for the fancier maple stock. The kit parts are all of excellent quality and the various springs of the flintlock are well balanced so the lock time is very quick.
I'm still in the process of working up it's most accurate load. I load tested the rifle with 40 grains of 3f powder and got over 1900 fps with the round. I'm guessing that somewhere around half of that powder charge will give me my most accurate load.
I've promised my great nephew that I would take him squirrel hunting an while he'll be using his .22, I'll be using this.

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_123407.jpg
    IMG_20210520_123407.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20210520_123533.jpg
    IMG_20210520_123533.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 98
This thread would not be complete without a video interlude:

I love sporters for hunting, but will carry anything from target pistols to heavy rifles.
496015FE-4BC9-4010-85FA-754F400D6369.jpeg

Dude your killin me,,,,,,,that SWFA scope and that Can on the front of that rifle. That's a sweet setup, I think I need one.

Mike

Be advised it's one heavy rifle with all that stuff on it. It's about 11 pounds as you are looking at it.

Just fine for sniping the starling while sitting on my back deck. I was looking at the PCP version, but cant find much info.

Mike

That SWFA scope takes the recoil of that springer?

Just fine for sniping the starling while sitting on my back deck. I was looking at the PCP version, but cant find much info.

Mike

That SWFA scope takes the recoil of that springer?

Every scope that I've tried on it will take the recoil. The two scopes that work well on it are the SWFA that you see in the photo and the UTG 4X with a mildot reticle.

I had even used a cheap Vortex Crossfire with the BDC reticle. It worked well on that rifle except that I hate the BDC reticle.

I tried the Vortex 4-16X Tactical on it but the problem is that I ran out of elevation adjustment to get it zeroed in. That problem reared its head with two other air air rifles. So I got the scope mount with barrel droop compensation. Even though the price on this thing is really low don't think it isn't a robust mount. It does what the manufacturer says it will do.

The only problem with that mount on the K98 is getting enough eye relief on the SWFA scope when I'm in the prone position. I have that problem with the SWFA with the setup you see in the photo but it's not as bad.

The SWFA scopes in 10X are out of stock the last time that I looked. However, before I tried the SWFA, I used the $79 UTG in 4X. I was surprised at what the scope could do!

There are a couple of caveats with the UTG. First is that the mildots are not in true mils. The displacement is actually every three mils. I compensated for that by just doing the math for the long shots.

The bottom line with the SWFA and UTG scopes is that I can zero them in without any problem with elevation adjustments and use the reticle for holdover at longer distances. On a 60 degree day the holdover for the soup can at 100 yards is about 8 MILS. I've shot that rifle on days when it was down to freezing. The holdover can increase to about 10-11 MILS. BTW, I zero the air rifles at 25 yards.

For those that don't know it the movement of the piston going forward can cause the rings to slip on the dovetail. So a ring with a stop pin is needed. Pyramyd Air sells a lot of rings for that purpose. They are really inexpensive compared to what we use on powder burners but they do the job. I've found nothing better for spring guns.

I was going to try the FX no-limit scope rings, which can compensate for the massive pellet drop at long ranges. However, they would have been too high on the K98. Of course that was a problem during WWI and WWII with the sniper variants of the K98. Look at the photos and or hold a K98 sniper rifle and you will see that you cannot get a good cheek weld because the scope is so high.

I had a Swedish M41B that had to be sold for attorney fees. I cried when I sold that beauty. For the time that rifle was the best. I digress. I wished they still made the k98 in 22LR.

I'd also like to see some camo clothing in the flecktarn pattern because it's one most versatile schemes ever designed. However, I don't want to run around in the woods during squirrel season looking like I'm in the German Army.

We really need a sub-forum on air rifles. With the lack of availability of rimfire ammo, the air rifles are a great alternative to marksmanship practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruger1300