• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Rimfire Squirrel Rifles

So has everyone stopped shooting squirrels? This is the perfect time of the year for it... They're already cooked by the time they hit the ground! :LOL:
Were not allowed to haplessly slaughter them in Texas we have a Fall and Spring Season. Plus I dont want squirrel fleas on my Yorkie !

Reactions: nikonNUT
Were not allowed to haplessly slaughter them in Texas we have a Fall and Spring Season. Plus I dont want squirrel fleas on my Yorkie !
I think I read the season runs from Sept 1st to August 31st in most of the state? So the squirrels get "A" night off. Apparently east Texas is the civilized part of Texas. ;) But honestly, y'all have a county named Scurry! How can a place like that possiblely NOT have a year-round season? Just sayin'. :LOL: And round these parts squirrels are like gray hairs. You kill one and three take its place!

As for the fleas... I get that. I have yet to see a flea covered squirrel but the rabbits here are nasty and covered in ticks! Mr. Hippity Hop is a hard pass.

So I gave one a pass this weekend... I had him dead to rights and he jumped to a pine tree that was about 1" in diameter and was whipping back and forth like a windshield wiper on high! He didn't know what to do and I was laughing so hard I had to let him go!

• Haha
Reactions: Texasflyer
Like a mover!?! Haha

Not sure I could let him go without at least one attempt.

I’ll bet it was more like this.
4AF0E899-0D95-47D3-A652-5449C1D2043A.gif

20210621_171412.jpg

The glenfeild model 60, or the magnum research 10/22. Either is perfect for the task. But the squirrels i have seen lately have mangy looking tails missing alot of fur.... and as stated above we have a season in Tx.

View attachment 7652129
The glenfeild model 60, or the magnum research 10/22. Either is perfect for the task. But the squirrels i have seen lately have mangy looking tails missing alot of fur.... and as stated above we have a season in Tx.
WHAT R YOU TRYIN TO DO ! Give these fine folk an impression we have mangy squirrels ? I did get this photo of a fox squirrel the wife feeds peanuts

Attachments

• 20210621_183134.jpg
    20210621_183134.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Haha
Somthin dont look kosher with'im , but the wife said , he's pretty smart !
Not sure about kosher but wasn't he cast in Gremlins? Your wife isn't feeding him after midnight is she?

WHAT R YOU TRYIN TO DO ! Give these fine folk an impression we have mangy squirrels ? I did get this photo of a fox squirrel the wife feeds peanuts
Well im not trying to lie about it. Not every squirrel is lion tailed.... but an alarming number are. Im not really sure but i dont even think its mange... i was hoping some know it all would chime in by now with "well actually the central Texas squirrels shed their mid tail in summer for better heat dissipation"

Well im not trying to lie about it. Not every squirrel is lion tailed.... but an alarming number are. Im not really sure but i dont even think its mange... i was hoping some know it all would chime in by now with "well actually the central Texas squirrels shed their mid tail in summer for better heat dissipation"
From what I have read a squirrels bushy tail is used for heat dissipation. A patchy tail is “ Not an uncommon occurrence, squirrels lose hair, including on their tails, to mange and fungal disease. Mange is caused by microscopic mites – likely the species Sarcoptes scabiei – that burrow under the squirrel's skin to feed on the animal's blood” 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Texasflyer
From what I have read a squirrels bushy tail is used for heat dissipation. A patchy tail is “ Not an uncommon occurrence, squirrels lose hair, including on their tails, to mange and fungal disease. Mange is caused by microscopic mites – likely the species Sarcoptes scabiei – that burrow under the squirrel's skin to feed on the animal's blood” 🤷‍♀️
So Nikon? r u trying to say my wife's pet squirrel has issue's or some sort ?

• Haha
Heres my newest squirrel tamer a 82c ssv last out of Oregon! Been looking for one for ever, their great river guns . You break your paddle the fluted barrel wont twist in your hands and their perfectly balanced! Good for beating snakes as well!

Attachments

• 20210622_200611.jpg
    20210622_200611.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 111
Heres my newest squirrel tamer a 82c ssv last out of Oregon! Been looking for one for ever, their great river guns . You break your paddle the fluted barrel wont twist in your hands and their perfectly balanced! Good for beating snakes as well!
@Rimdenter That is a pretty rifle! Congrats!

I'm not gonna put alot of glass on it but I will run it thru the paces to see what it will do, proably gonna be a 75 yd in gun we got a few thick spots around the lake.
Thank you

Born and raised in the Ozarks I killed a jillion squirrels with my trusty Rem 513T. Was taught if you hit them any where but the head you messed up. 😉
Now days in MT I shoot ground squirrels (gophers) by the hundreds every year. Back when they first came out I grabbed a CZ 452 in 17m2 and figured it was the ultimate squirrel rifle. Now I love it and super deadly on “gophers” but I’m not so particular on where I hit them. Took it back too MO a few years ago and head shot a few reds and greys. Sadly for me at least it wasn’t as lethal as the 22hp. Shot both Ely and Hor ammo and unless it was skull centered I would get a .177” thru hole and be chasing them down.

I strive for head shots but an RWS sub sonic HP seems to do the job just about anywhere :) If I can clip their neck they drop like rag dolls! Of course these Arkie squirrels may be wimps! :LOL:

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I strive for head shots but an RWS sub sonic HP seems to do the job just about anywhere :) If I can clip their neck they drop like rag dolls! Of course these Arkie squirrels may be wimps! :LOL:
Sub 17m2 or 22lr?

I shoot mostly 22sub hp on these MT Richardson Ground Squirrels and they perform. Picked u a Tikka T1X last year, dolled it up a bit with a Vortex PST 4-16 and McMillan stock. Hardly take the CZ 17 out any more.

Sub 17m2 or 22lr?

I shoot mostly 22sub hp on these MT Richardson Ground Squirrels and they perform. Picked u a Tikka T1X last year, dolled it up a bit with a Vortex PST 4-16 and McMillan stock. Hardly take the CZ 17 out any more.
.22LR. Where I am hunting 50 yards a long shot so I have no need for the extra umpfh the 17s offer. Not saying I won’t own a 17 someday but for now the 22 seems to be getting the job done! 😊

Oh yea, I remember those days. 😉Out here on these ground squirrel’s we regularly shoot over 100 yards. Course this is killing pests and not table fare. I do miss a big batch of fried squirrel, biscuits and gravy though.

• Love
Oh yea, I remember those days. 😉Out here on these ground squirrel’s we regularly shoot over 100 yards. Course this is killing pests and not table fare. I do miss a big batch of fried squirrel, biscuits and gravy though.
👍🏻 I can’t believe I waited until I was 49 to give the squirrel thing a try! I swear the only thing that are more plentiful than squirrels in the Ouichitas’ are ticks and mosquitoes! LOL

Damn Ouachita squirrels are evil. Had one run all the way up my arm and take a flying leap into a tree once. He was a special kind of little shit though. Shady Mountain special was his nickname.

👍🏻 I can’t believe I waited until I was 49 to give the squirrel thing a try! I swear the only thing that are more plentiful than squirrels in the Ouichitas’ are ticks and mosquitoes! LOL
Ha, grew up eating them. A buddy in OH even took pity on me couple years ago and overnighted 10 frozen squirrels to MT. 😂Now that’s a good buddy!
There was no shortage of blood suckers in southern MO either. One thing I sure don’t miss! Some areas of MT are cursed with ticks but not around us thank God.

Alright after alittle gun smith work on the Kimber we got her running. The bolt block was alittle tight creating drag during extraction honed about .0005 off ,polished inside of tensioner. Chamber was really tight ironed it due to someone dry firing it lapped chamber with diamond micro compound. Built a 1 PC picatinny rail for it put on the scope. It like SKRM, SKHV it really likes SK PLUS. While I was typing this @nikonNUT 30 hogs come out under feeder the Ole kimber got her a neck hit at 250! YEA! 1ST BLOOD gun pic and 5x6 of SK PLUS .260 avg. SQUIRRELS BEWARE!

Attachments

• 20210624_184314.jpg
    20210624_184314.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210624_193152.jpg
    20210624_193152.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 110
Alright after alittle gun smith work on the Kimber we got her running. The bolt block was alittle tight creating drag during extraction honed about .0005 off ,polished inside of tensioner. Chamber was really tight ironed it due to someone dry firing it lapped chamber with diamond micro compound. Built a 1 PC picatinny rail for it put on the scope. It like SKRM, SKHV it really likes SK PLUS. While I was typing this @nikonNUT 30 hogs come out under feeder the Ole kimber got her a neck hit at 250! YEA! 1ST BLOOD gun pic and 5x6 of SK PLUS .260 avg. SQUIRRELS BEWARE!
Dang man! That's a shooter! 100 yard groups I assume? I gotta get my act together! Best I've managed is .6MOA at 200... The CZ can produce .3MOA groups at 50 when I slow down but .08?!? That is legendary!!!!

Dang man! That's a shooter! 100 yard groups I assume? I gotta get my act together! Best I've managed is .6MOA at 200... The CZ can produce .3MOA groups at 50 when I slow down but .08?!? That is legendary!!!!
No 50 yds I forgot to change the yardage distance in the app. But thanks I need all the help I can get!😁 MOA avg. Close to .480 alittle better then my best group at 300 yds the other day that was .540 moa

Last edited:
I will say this the scope has to go for hunting I'm gonna run a compact on it proably 9x max with AO what'ch yall think on glass?

No 50 yds I forgot to change the yardage distance in the app. But thanks I need all the help I can get!😁 MOA avg. Close to .480 alittle better then my best group at 300 yds the other day that was .540 moa
Still damn impressive! My CZ really likes SK standard+ but it LOvES Flatnose Match. Sadly the Flatnose stuff falls apart past 50 yards…
Flatnose match at 50. Need to tweak the POi…
9D0822EF-68C7-4364-814D-17CBB302875C.jpeg

Standard Plus at 50 yards…
94FC6D86-1FB2-41A1-9498-87EA84B04DC4.jpeg

I bet you that flat nose knocks the snot out of squirrels , the SKHV shot great was just to loud the Kimber barrel is 22"

I bet you that flat nose knocks the snot out of squirrels , the SKHV shot great was just to loud the Kimber barrel is 22"
It does indeed. I think I have a brick of the SKHV somewhere but I’ve never tried it. I’m still digging hanging a can off the end of the rifle and hearing the stiiker hit the round. 😁

Reactions: Rimdenter
HO LEE COW! Just ran a mag of CCI quiet thru the CZ. I though it was quiet before…I was wrong. With a can it’s just a quiet pop. Gonna take a ton of dial to over come the 340 FPS loss of MV but the squirrels will never hear it coming!

Last edited:
I got a few thousand of the eley team flat nose stuff. It hits fairly hard for a 22. Maybe try and see iffin it will get some tree rats when the season opens

The SK flatnose ran well out of my Henry and these are on my short list to try. I would be very interested in hearing of your results.
I’ve shot them out to 300 from my cz 457. It seems repeatable enough for that. At 50-100, I can stay on a 1 inch steel swinger pretty consistently. It’s not the best setup or best ammo, but it works pretty good in the 5-700 rounds I’ve shot from it.

08944D8D-260E-443F-80C0-5353D294EF9A.jpeg

I really like my RUGER 96/22 Magnum lever gun. It has an octagonal Green Mountain barrel.
The barrel change improved the accuracy. 40 grain polymer tipped jacketed bullets from Winchester/Bowning seem to work best.
Next is a new WENIG stock with a classic cheekpiece.

OK, I win! BIGGEST squirrel evah! 🤣 Serously, I had no idea we had whistlepigs (Wood Chucks) around here…
682C7BFE-D4BD-4E48-9AC3-458DAE619677.jpeg

Size 11 shoe for scale. Must weight 15 pounds! But seriously... WHAT...THE...HELL is running around my yard?

Last edited:
You need to bring that with you! Better bring one that's nice for walking up and down a few hardwood hollars !
Bring a sling... And ibuprofen! Got it! 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: STex
My favorite squirrel rifle is a Marlin 39 with a Williams rear aperture sight. I like my CZ rifles a lot and a CZ 452 American with a good scope would be hard to beat.