• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Ackley Improved

Re: 223 Ackley Improved

Nobody,
You are sure going through your nine lives in a hurry.

Still, it's good to have your razor wit and charm back.

I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

my 223ai will be done soon and i am wondering what powder to shoot 75amaxs with. lapua brass and would like to use up my cci 400 primers but if need i have br4s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjonh2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 223ai will be done soon and i am wondering what powder to shoot 75amaxs with. lapua brass and would like to use up my cci 400 primers but if need i have br4s. </div></div>

If Oily Owl was still here, he would tell you to run H335.

It would probably be worth a try.
wink.gif

i tried h-335 but i could not get good speed with it and ran into pressure pretty early.

i run rl-15 like alot of others i think i am at 26.7 now, my mv is right around 3080fps it is also nice that i can grab some corbon dpx hunting bullets and cut the hole of my a-max loads, works out great for hunting season.

i run what ever primers i can find, at one time i had 4 different primers loaded up and i couldnt tell a difference at distance when shooting them, i use my 223ai for fun and as a training tool and it just happens to be the most accurate gun i own

Am up to 26.1 TAC, 80gr bergers, and cci 400's with no pressure. I've loaded in increments of .1 grain up to 26.6 to see about pressure. No matter what load I have, I am cleaning the sniper's hide dot target. A lot of fun!

Thinking about getting MGM to make a 223AI bbl for my Encore.
22" SS with 8 twist.
Bbl will be set up to shoot the 75 A-Max.
How much free bore? Anything special about the chamber or neck sizing?

THANKS
Coach

My chamber was cut for 75 AMAX and it is 2.485 to reach the lands. It will also allow me to shoot 50s as well and reach the lands. I would have chamber cut somewhere around 2.5-2.485.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does a 6.5 krieger have to do with a 223ai? </div></div>

i believe he is refering to the twist of his barrel

26.6 TAC, CCI 400's, 80gr berger, and Lapua formed brass netted me 3025 average velocity out of a 22 inch rock barrel yesterday. There was no pressure and excellent accuracy. Bergers Balistic Calculator shows me at about 9 mils to 1k, and 2.6-ish mils for 10 mph wind.

I love this round.

As an update to this, as it heated up outside, I starting blowing primers with this load. I've since backed it down to 26.1 TAC. Great performance still, zero pressure signs, and excellent accuracy. Most important, it's safe.

The thread that will not die!

I am putting together a new build and was thinking about a regular ole .223 Rem, but this thread has got me seriously considering a .223 AI.

What dies are people using to reload?

Question on brass prep.... I have a Giraud and was wondering if I can set up for regular 223 only and run the cases through the Giraud for uniformity, and then not have to do anymore case trimming after the little cases began their lives as AI's.

Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question on brass prep.... I have a Giraud and was wondering if I can set up for regular 223 only and run the cases through the Giraud for uniformity, and then not have to do anymore case trimming after the little cases began their lives as AI's.

Thoughts? </div></div>

I trimmed all my cases pre fireforming, and haven't trimmed them since. It's working well enough for me.

Tagging this thread for later. I'm sending off two Remington SAAMI chambers this week to get punched out. A 22" sporter, and 20" varmint weight 9 twist. They'll shoot the 50Vmax and 75Amax respectively-----------with possible TSX dabbling down the road. I finally got tire of missing out on all the fun.
grin.gif

I just punched out my 9 twist 20" XCR Tactical. It's shooting pretty good with my forming loads so far. I'll be trying the formed brass with 75gr Amaxs this weekend...

I don't know? I own a 243AI, two 22-250AI, a 25'06AI and a 223AI which is the only factory barrel of the lot, a Model 700 LVSF. I use 55VMax with Varget. It's strictly a light walkaround coyote rifle and I would say that I'm not overly impressed with the performance. I think a 204 would be a better deal, for my purpose, but anyway. Velocity itself, probably wasn't worth the cost? Accuracy is average, however, terminal performance has been very good, only lost one in three years, thus far. I attribute that to the bullet rather than the chambering.

Would I do it again? No. And, it's certainly not my idea of a thousand yard rig. FWIW

Buzz: Try H335 with 50Vmax or BT and you might improve your outlook. I would not expect Varget to push a 55 any faster than the parent round.

Thanks, but I'm going in a different direction direction. I got me a 22-243Middlested, a little heavier, (a lot actually) and packs a lot more punch. Have not killed anything yet, but I would bet the house that it will perform quite well. My first trip will be north Texas in about three weeks and that should tell the tale.

To each his own, but I have no confidence in the 50 grain VMax for killing coyotes. The Ackley does push a 55 faster, 50fps. Big deal! Like I said above, not worth the cost, but the 55 is a far better, and reliable killer. The only real benefit is not having to trim necks to length, thanks to the 40 deg shoulder. However, the 223AI will be spending the rest of this and the next season, in the safe, on stand by, as a loaner. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My chamber was cut for 75 AMAX and it is 2.485 to reach the lands. It will also allow me to shoot 50s as well and reach the lands. I would have chamber cut somewhere around 2.5-2.485. </div></div>

Does anyone have a reamer print for a 223 ack imp intended to shoot 75 or 80 grain bullets in a DBM system?

22" 1:7 Criterion 223AI Savage prefit barrel (0.061" freebore)
80gr A-Max @ 2.485" OAL
26.2gr Varget
CCI-450
Nosler ff'd brass
2890fps