• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 ammo shortage

GreyShirts

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Oklahoma
I went to a local gun store today to get some .223 ammo for my daughter. They were nearly out, and only had FMJ ammo(that wont fly for deer hunting). The store owner said .223 ammo is on the rise in price and becoming hard to get. He told me the government is allocating a bunch of it in the event of civil un-rest after the upcoming election. Has anyone else heard this or is the guy just low on ammo and looking for a jab at the current administration?

Re: .223 ammo shortage

People are definitely gun/ammo running but I doubt the government is doing more then they were with our on going wars.

It's better now then a few years past when I've seen it but it doesn't hurt to stock up as prices never seem to fall.

I personally believe it's hype to drive up the prices...
My local here in Smyrna has 2 skids of it out on the floor with a sale tag on-em.
I reload so i didn't pay it much attention.

I just checked my order from yesterday, and from January '12 from cheaper than dirt. It has actually come down

I haven't bought any 223/5.56 for a good long while now, but I helped a buddy of mine locate 1,200 rounds last week (1k 55gr ball range/practice fodder and 200rnds of Winchester Razorback 64gr hunting ammo for hogs and deer) and all of the places I referred him to had plenty of options in stock and ready to roll out the door. Check with Ammunition to Go for one (where my buddy ended up getting his), Palmetto Stare Armory, as well as Southwest Ammunition (who has at least 4-5 kinds of highly suitable 223/5.56 hunting ammo in stock).

Also, while shopping local is always nice and it certainly supports your local economy/vendors, don't buy into the local gunstore bull$#!T propaganda in an election year about: 1) new broad/sweeping gun control laws if x, y, and z happen; 2) civil unrest; 3) ammo bans; 4) increased demand = higher prices, etc., etc. Some people will say/do anything to drive up demand and prices on a product, preying on fear/the unknown, etc. without any real justification/reasoning.

While not as plentiful and higher priced, you can find it very readily. The pre-election panic seems to have leveled off in the last month or so.

NO shortage around here.

Academy in Lafayette, LA had *plenty* of 223/5.56 on their shelves on Monday afternoon.

Natchez, Palmetto State, and others have had 223/556 sales over the last couple weeks.

Do NOT buy any 'shortage' or 'civil unrest' nonsense...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do NOT buy any 'shortage' or 'civil unrest' nonsense... </div></div>

Buy it, and you have it, or at least more of it. Don't buy it, and you don't have it, or at least not as much of it. Eventually, after the last panic, things straightened out and the shelves at Wal*Mart refilled, but what if they don't this time through legislation that, until last night, was unthinkable? I appreciate the "voices of reason," but I also know the comfort of being relatively well-provisioned.

All the local suppliers have cheap FMJ .223 in stock, even Wal-Mart, which usually runs out the day it arrives on the shelves; same-same 7.62x39.

I handload mine and don't see any great value to building up stocks of handloaded ammo. My components work best when freshly assembled, and store best in their original packaging.

I've never subscribed to impulse purchasing as a response to the political weather. So far, the biggest threat to ammo and component supplies has actually always been from panicky shooters, and not from politicians.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The incumbent doesn't need to get reelected to screw our pooch, he's just as powerful the day after the election as he is the day before. The important part of this election takes place in Congress and especially in the Senate. Neither candidate can sign laws if nobody passses them.</span></span>

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do NOT buy any 'shortage' or 'civil unrest' nonsense... </div></div>

Buy it, and you have it, or at least more of it. Don't buy it, and you don't have it, or at least not as much of it. </div></div>

That's true of any thing, at any time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eventually, after the last panic, things straightened out and the shelves at Wal*Mart refilled, but what if they don't this time through legislation that, until last night, was unthinkable?</div></div>

I'm sure glad you brought this up.

"After the last panic", which proved to be just that - a panic, fueled by fear which has proven thus far to be entirely unfounded.

And what changed last night? NOTHING AT ALL.

POTUS doesn't make or pass legislation, ***Congress*** does. Its a pretty safe assumption that Obama himself, as a Chicago liberal, would like nothing more to have a federal 'assault weapon' and/or handgun ban, but what he wants doesn't mean jack shit unless Congress puts such legislation across his desk to sign.

Which they won't ever do, so long as Republicans control at least one house of Congress.

So while I don't have any love for Obama, his record (which so many Republicans are rightfully using against him) on gun control hasn't exactly been that of a left-wing gun grabber like he has continually been painted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the "voices of reason," but I also know the comfort of being relatively well-provisioned. </div></div>

Again...that's true of any thing, at any time.

Let us not forget the frightening power of the Executive Order gentlemen.

With a demonstrably compliant media who seems to feel the only issues worthy of outrage is insufficient gay programming on TV, and appellate courts who seem to care more about being loved than respected, executive orders take on a profoundly more dangerous manifestation.

A lot of this depends on the buying power of the gun shop. Do they have good standing meeting terms so when they pick up the phone the wholesaler listens or not. Did they preseason orders or trying to fill in, preseasons get filled first. Right now they should be ordering for fall 13 and spring 14. Do they order the quantity that gets them preferred.

I had vendors that would hang up on others to take my orders and other vendors who would not call me back. Its business, the more you order and pay on time, the better service and more product you get.

But, I did receive an email saying things could get tight but I feel its a preemptive strike for prices. Under manufacture and customers think there is a shortage, rise prices, the shortage becomes personal. Any one who thinks manufactures do not under manufacturer do not know the retail business.