• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Barrel life?

Ragnarok127

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2023
Denver
I realize barrel life is a difficult thing to predict with the various factors that go into it.

Heat, firing frequency, cleaning schedule, bore material just to name a few.

What's the typical barrel life of a 223 proof SS barrel shooting 80 elds with varget? Not rapid firing .

5k doable holding roughly MOA? 10K?

I have around 20,000 on my Armalite AR still shoots .5 moa, it's older AR b4 they moved. What's the concern for shoot it out and get another pipe.

Reactions: Redvanes
Mine went south after about 4k.

Mostly 3gun use, so normal range shooting at least half again if not twice that.

I’ve seen them shot out. IN Vietnam, shooting tracers. The most interesting spiral, ever expanding. Never abused mine. Always semi only except for a couple times on the hill jsut to see how it does

Guys. You're throwing in stats from chromed barrels. That's not applicable to this situation.

Buttoned .223 will usually go 2,500-3,000 rounds at a high degree of accuracy.

Cut or broached barrels are generally 4-5,000.

Heat them up, and cut those figures in half, or worse.

Guys. You're throwing in stats from chromed barrels. That's not applicable to this situation.
There is also a huge range of life based on powder type and load configuration. IMHO, AR comp has good expected barrel life but its a PITA to clean. Varget burns really clean, but not great expected barrel life. VV powders can be all over the place, depending on if you go 540 vs 140 etc.

Reactions: natdscott
I realize barrel life is a difficult thing to predict with the various factors that go into it.

Heat, firing frequency, cleaning schedule, bore material just to name a few.

What's the typical barrel life of a 223 proof SS barrel shooting 80 elds with varget? Not rapid firing .

5k doable holding roughly MOA? 10K?

I think roughly MOA at 5K is doable. Like you said, rate of fire, pressure, powder, and cleaning will play into introducing variables to that estimate.

If you were trying to compete in midrange F-class or PRS, you'd probably notice a drop-off in velocity and/or consistency before that point...but for a fun gun at closer ranges I doubt you'd notice much difference.

Correction 10,000 thru the tube on the Armalite, but it is chrome lined. So i would guess 5k is probable, probably more.

Reactions: xsn10s
5-6K if it’s a good barrel and you’re pretty nice to it. 3-4K if you’re not.

There’s a moderator on rokslide running around telling people he’s got a Tikka 223 with over 20K rounds on the factory barrel with no accuracy degradation or velocity loss though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DIBBS
5-6K if it’s a good barrel and you’re pretty nice to it. 3-4K if you’re not.

There’s a moderator on rokslide running around telling people he’s got a Tikka 223 with over 20K rounds on the factory barrel with no accuracy degradation or velocity loss though 😂
Maybe he's shooting cast lead at 900 fps?

:D

My WOA 26" 1/8 twist barrel has 6,845 rounds so far using Tac and loads considered 5.56 level and above the max for 223. I shoot 5 round groups then pause for a couple minutes. Using RMR 69 and 75s.

It still shoots sub MOA. I also watch the barrel and gas port for wear.

Screenshot_20231106_071309_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2
Just so everyone is on the same page my specific rig is a origin with a proof prefit comp contour 26" 1/7 twist shooting 80 elds at 2900 with 24.4 varget. Probably 5 rounds per minute average. Depends on how many Prarie dogs are out

If you shoot often, better get a tube on order at 2,500, given wait times for some things.

Pdogs are little.

Just so everyone is on the same page my specific rig is a origin with a proof prefit comp contour 26" 1/7 twist shooting 80 elds at 2900 with 24.4 varget. Probably 5 rounds per minute average. Depends on how many Prarie dogs are out

You could always back down a grain or so to improve life.

My WOA 26" 1/8 twist barrel has 6,845 rounds so far using Tac and loads considered 5.56 level and above the max for 223. I shoot 5 round groups then pause for a couple minutes. Using RMR 69 and 75s.

It still shoots sub MOA. I also watch the barrel and gas port for wear.

View attachment 8265545
How are those rmr 75s? Good enough for prs style club matches?

My criterion remage has somewhere around 4300 rounds through it, last time I had it out
it shot Hornady 75 BTHP 5 shot groups in the .4 range with no load development.