• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

223 muzzle device

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I’ve got a 223 threaded in 5/8x24, currently just running a blended thread protector.

Am I gonna get anything performance wise out of a brake? Is it even worth it on a 223?

If so, which do you recommend?

Sitting at 24”, I live in the communist state of nj…. So no go on the suppressor.

Brakes are used for competition guns to keep the muzzle on target for self spotting. At PRS you will see 6mm, 20 pound guns, with 5 port brakes. They are very effective. With a .223 they are still useful, since self spotting can be a bit tricky due to low bullet signature, and every bit of stability on target thanks tot the brake, helps (believe it or not). The downsisde is the concussion/noise goes up a bit at the shooter, and more substantialy in adjacent spaces. Thats a tradeoff you need to consider. Keep in mind non-PRS style disciplines may dis-allow them or allow them only with restrictions (check your local rules).