• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .223 trainer-experienced input needed!!!

The tl3? Well it has less than 200k pinfall out the factory, that's a no no for consistent ignition.

I find it hard to believe Zermatt is selling 1000's of TL3's with out of spec pinfall.... I have 6, my first one is out of the 1st pre-order batch when they first came out. Never a single issue, problem, no ignition issue in 223rem, 308win, 6.5cm, 6.5x47L, 6BR, 220TB, etc.... Im sure Ray @Zermatt Arms can clear this up right here as I dont believe it. Sorry. I have BNA TacSport Pro 2 Stages on every one of mine. Ive tried them all, the TT didnt even compare to properly tuned BNA TacSport Pros for me.

I find it hard to believe Zermatt is selling 1000's of TL3's with out of spec pinfall.... I have 6, my first one is out of the 1st pre-order batch when they first came out. Never a single issue, problem, no ignition issue in 223rem, 308win, 6.5cm, 6.5x47L, 6BR, 220TB, etc.... Im sure Ray @Zermatt Arms can clear this up right here as I dont believe it. Sorry. I have BNA TacSport Pro 2 Stages on every one of mine. Ive tried them all, the TT didnt even compare to properly tuned BNA TacSport Pros for me.
Its within the design of the action, I've checked 3 and they're all around 195. It works but it's not ideal. Check some of yours! I believe the sr3 is the same way.

At .195" firing pin travel, you're about spot on for timing as the action is designed and should be able to expect consistent ignition given proper geometry in the full system. There were a few factors that went into that design change from the TL2/SR2 design. Mostly, it was about the feel of the product. We achieve the lighter bolt lift in the TL/SR line by using a combination of a shorter than normal firing pin travel and a shallower than normal extraction and closing cam system.

Both of those features were bumped back up to the more "normal" levels in the Origin resulting in a heavier bolt lift.

The Origin got that design input because the price point of the action brought in a lot more shooters and we felt the need for that product to be more forgiving from a reloaders standpoint. Increased firing pin travel resulted in more consistent ignition and less issues with light strikes and the increase extraction cam angle resulted in more primary extraction for over pressured cartridges.

All that being said, the TL3/SR3 ignition system is different but still functional. There is definitely a higher propensity for issues with ignition consistency but all of those issues are easily mitigated by small modifications to problematic fire controls or by more attention to detail within the reloading process.

Some people won't get past the shortened firing pin travel and that's totally fine. But we don't believe it's totally fair to say with an absolute certainty that ignition consistency is an issue given the shorter firing pin travel. A greater potential for issues? Totally fair.

All of the designs take a lot of time to get full thought for functionality and usability. There's always compromise somewhere within the design but those decisions aren't made without taking in a wide range of information prior to doing so.

As always, if you or someone you know is having issues and needs assistance, we're very happy to help formulate a solution for that issue.

Thank you - Ray

At .195" firing pin travel, you're about spot on for timing as the action is designed and should be able to expect consistent ignition given proper geometry in the full system. There were a few factors that went into that design change from the TL2/SR2 design. Mostly, it was about the feel of the product. We achieve the lighter bolt lift in the TL/SR line by using a combination of a shorter than normal firing pin travel and a shallower than normal extraction and closing cam system.

Both of those features were bumped back up to the more "normal" levels in the Origin resulting in a heavier bolt lift.

The Origin got that design input because the price point of the action brought in a lot more shooters and we felt the need for that product to be more forgiving from a reloaders standpoint. Increased firing pin travel resulted in more consistent ignition and less issues with light strikes and the increase extraction cam angle resulted in more primary extraction for over pressured cartridges.

All that being said, the TL3/SR3 ignition system is different but still functional. There is definitely a higher propensity for issues with ignition consistency but all of those issues are easily mitigated by small modifications to problematic fire controls or by more attention to detail within the reloading process.

Some people won't get past the shortened firing pin travel and that's totally fine. But we don't believe it's totally fair to say with an absolute certainty that ignition consistency is an issue given the shorter firing pin travel. A greater potential for issues? Totally fair.

All of the designs take a lot of time to get full thought for functionality and usability. There's always compromise somewhere within the design but those decisions aren't made without taking in a wide range of information prior to doing so.

As always, if you or someone you know is having issues and needs assistance, we're very happy to help formulate a solution for that issue.

Thank you - Ray

Appreciate the quick and detailed response as always Ray. No light strikes or ignition issues for me so all is good.

I also want to note...I don't shoot factory ammo out of my gun.. all handloads in all calibers...I did shoot a few boxes of FGMM Mike sent me for the 308 barrel testing and it Shot fine...but thats the only factory ammo every shot out of my 6 tl3

Thats so true......I sold my impacts and deviants and went to arc and bighorn, and I honestly like them more and they're much lower priced. I know not integral but I'm really happy with em.

Gonna spin it up to my nucleus

Here's a picture of some case mouths that were dented from ejection from a Rem 700 clone.
I have since shortened the ejector spring and now it's almost not noticeable.

Good luck reloading cases like this and getting low runout.

If I was to buy a new action tomorrow it would be one with controlled round feed for this reason alone.

Yes the problem can be resolved with a shorter ejection spring on a Rem 700 but then we flirt with less reliable ejection. That's fine for a bench rest or F Class rifle but it sucks for practical field use.

1643565429401.png

Reactions: 4O6shootist