• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 varmint load -55 gn VMax - Win 748 or IMR3031 ?

wvuhunter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2018
I have 4 - 5 lbs of each and need to work up a load for my dads Tikka Varmint . Wanting some input on which powder is best suited for this load. Which is more temp sensitive? Mainly shooting Ghogs in the hot summer months but also does some fox hunting in the fall/ winter
Thanks, Mike

I use w748 its fine Ive never used 3031. 3031 is an extruded and w748 is ball. I normally prefer an extruded powder and for me its Benchmark. Extruded powders in general are less temp sensitive, I would work up the 3031. I would also try the w748 just as a plinking load since its easy to dump and go. 26grains +-.5 grains where u want to be with w748. W748 isnt as tight on paper as Benchmark but you should be able to hit a groundhog with it out to 300 yards.

Both are pretty sensitive but I found if the load is reasonable W748 is is not too bad on the temp department.
W748 is possible my favorite 55-69 grain powder.

I've got a buddy that swears by 25.5 grains of W748 in his Rock River AR for high volume prairie dog shooting in the July heat. I think he could run a faster load, but he's happy where he's at; air/barrel temperatures never seem to bother his accuracy. W748 meters well in a progressive press for volume reloading.

I've tried five different powders for my bolt .223 and kept coming back to the W748. I just wasn't able to get the groups tightened up with the other powders. That being said, I'm getting ready to try VV N-133 with 55g Vmax's.

Thanks guys for the reply’s. I’ve only tried the 3031 in my other 223. Gonna give the 748 a go.

Hodgdon's reloading site makes it looks like WW748 and BLC-2 are nearly identical for 50-65gr projectiles in .223 Remington. I've had very good success with 40-69gr projectiles with BLC-2. No experience with 3031, but I imagine it meters like shit since it's an extruded powder:

Powder_0000108.jpg