• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie ..? what is your opinion ?

55ksi is for ar-15 bolt lugs. You can go a bit warmer in a bolt gun.

55ksi is for ar-15 bolt lugs. You can go a bit warmer in a bolt gun.

Agreed, I'm running a bolt gun but what I meant by that comment was how it effects primer pockets. If there was some awesome improvements in that area I think that may change some people's tones.

I’m very interested in this thread. I’ve been wanting to put together a small caliber bolt gun. I was leaning towards a 223 since I already have the reloading equipment until I saw the videos on Lowlights 224V. The caliber seems to be what I am looking for. Cheap to shoot, easy access to brass, inexpensive factory ammo (if I wanted to shoot it), easy to load for (no fire forming, necking down, or other time sucking brass prep), low recoil (need something my kids can shoot) and accurate at distance. My local range goes to 600. But I do want to take some classes and shoot out to 1,000.

To the OP I built mine AR with a Bartlin 20” 1.7 barrel running 88’ on top of benchmark with half MOA on federal brass. It will run .587 moa on factory 88’s but my loads are cheaper and a bit better. It does eat primer pockets about 35-40% even fresh brass but that’s federal.

I ran this weapon system in a match out to 900 yds on a KYL stage with not problems all day. The system was not built for matches but due to a surgery I could not have recoil so I ran this system and it worked great and I got my hits.

hope This helps

Reactions: TACC
I run a 223ai and have a 22-250ai barrel for the same rifle. I looked at the valkyrie when they came out and decided my next 22 caliber will be a 22br. I would go with a valkyrie if I was wanting a little more performance than a 223 and shot factory ammo.

I agree 100% especially If you reload why not just go with a 22-250, it makes as much sense as a 300BLK out of a bolt as well.

I fully agree on the 22-250.

However, 300blk subs out of a bolt gun suppressed is silly fun for knocking stuff over at close range.

I just received my Krieger/ white oak 24 inch barrel. Going to start with some factory hornady 88 grns, then move from there.
I've already got long distance in 6.5, 308, 223, and 22 nosler, so was looking for a new challenge.

The 22 noser is so close to a Valkyrie I wouldn't bother.

I fully agree on the 22-250.

However, 300blk subs out of a bolt gun suppressed is silly fun for knocking stuff over at close range.

The 22 noser is so close to a Valkyrie I wouldn't bother.

Definitely one of the things I hope to find out first hand 22 nosler vs 224V

I shoot matches <800yds with a 20” barrel Rainier Ultramatch Mod 2 and my go-to is an 80gr ELD over 24.8gr H4895 mainly due to velocity gain over 88s/90s and cost of the bullets. I’m around 2910fps with that barrel length. Could go hotter/faster, but the accuracy was the same but the primer pockets died much quicker

It’s proven that the more you hot rod it, the lower the primer pocket and brass life is. Either get a longer barrel (24-26”) to start with or get used to buying brass every 2-4 reloadings if you want to run them super hot

I don’t have a place to shoot 1000yds near me but the caliber does very well with:

77gr TMK
80gr ELD
88gr ELD
90gr SMK

I would like to try 80.5 and 85gr Bergers because of the reputation they’ve got for accuracy. I don’t plan on using 95gr SMKs

Again, I haven’t shot to 1000 and developing the loads I have WAS very time consuming compared to .223, .308, etc, but my 20” gasser is a rock star. I was given the barrel, otherwise I’d of gone with a longer one for speed’s sake, but running moderately “warm” loads, I can usually get 5-6 reloads within a very accurate node with H4895 with 80gr ELDs

If I go heavier with 88gr ELDs or 90SMKs, Varget or Reloder 15 works better for getting some extra speed

Reactions: lash and TACC
I really enjoy shooting my 224 V Craddock/Bartlein. It held its own with my JP LRP07 6CM today our to 1k.
Shooting 80s around 2900 is just something I can’t do with my 223 Rem ARs.
It’s been a rough launch for this cartridge for sure, and I had challenges as well. But I’m happy with it. This was 1000 yds with 80 ELDs 8.9 mils/ 1.1-1.4 mils wind.

Attachments

• FCC624F1-B40C-4540-9F4B-43B2715A1C9C.jpeg
    FCC624F1-B40C-4540-9F4B-43B2715A1C9C.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 68
I really enjoy shooting my 224 V Craddock/Bartlein. It held its own with my JP LRP07 6CM today our to 1k.
Shooting 80s around 2900 is just something I can’t do with my 223 Rem ARs.
It’s been a rough launch for this cartridge for sure, and I had challenges as well. But I’m happy with it. This was 1000 yds with 80 ELDs 8.9 mils/ 1.1-1.4 mils wind.
Great shooting, was that on a regular IPSC size target/steel?

Recently bought an Airborne Arms .224 Valkyrie. Ran some Federal factory 60 gainers through it and it shot lights out. The Geronimo trigger is sweet. I haven't stretched it out yet as I was mainly shooting coyotes and prairie dogs . I settled on the Hornady 58 grain Vmax with 25 grains of benchmark for varmint loads and its less than an moa. I have no complaints with this .224 but like I said I'm not shooting 1000 yards.

I shoot matches <800yds with a 20” barrel Rainier Ultramatch Mod 2 and my go-to is an 80gr ELD over 24.8gr H4895 mainly due to velocity gain over 88s/90s and cost of the bullets. I’m around 2910fps with that barrel length. Could go hotter/faster, but the accuracy was the same but the primer pockets died much quicker

It’s proven that the more you hot rod it, the lower the primer pocket and brass life is. Either get a longer barrel (24-26”) to start with or get used to buying brass every 2-4 reloadings if you want to run them super hot

I don’t have a place to shoot 1000yds near me but the caliber does very well with:

77gr TMK
80gr ELD
88gr ELD
90gr SMK

I would like to try 80.5 and 85gr Bergers because of the reputation they’ve got for accuracy. I don’t plan on using 95gr SMKs

Again, I haven’t shot to 1000 and developing the loads I have WAS very time consuming compared to .223, .308, etc, but my 20” gasser is a rock star. I was given the barrel, otherwise I’d of gone with a longer one for speed’s sake, but running moderately “warm” loads, I can usually get 5-6 reloads within a very accurate node with H4895 with 80gr ELDs

If I go heavier with 88gr ELDs or 90SMKs, Varget or Reloder 15 works better for getting some extra speed

Have you shot 90’s in that barrel? I had stability issues running them in a 24” 1:7.5t at 1,000ft elevation. The 80.5, 80eld and 85.5 have done great though.

77gr TMK
80gr ELD
88gr ELD
90gr SMK

Seems like a fast 20", or my 26" is slow/hasn't come in to it's own yet. I'm running 25gr h4895 and only getting about 2900. Plenty accurate though.

Seems like a fast 20", or my 26" is slow/hasn't come in to it's own yet. I'm running 25gr h4895 and only getting about 2900. Plenty accurate though.

Seems a bit slow for a 26”. This was my first 24” during load development. Less than 40rds on the barrel at that time. I haven’t chrono’d the second RA 24”, but it shoots great with the same load.
3D22AD66-6996-4F22-BED9-03D92200C792.jpeg

I got 80.5 Berger Fullbores running 2980 out a 24" bbld bolt gun with 24.7 gr AR-Comp

I should add that’s with a Recce 5 suppressor so there might be a little bit of freebore boost in there. Did not measure unsuppressed speed at the time but it was using 10rd avg with a LabRadar chrono

Have you shot 90’s in that barrel? I had stability issues running them in a 24” 1:7.5t at 1,000ft elevation. The 80.5, 80eld and 85.5 have done great though.

Yes. I shot the “old box” FGMMs (didn’t shoot well), the “new box” FGMMs and despite the meplats being hammered, they shot around 1MOA consistently.

My handloads with Varget & H4895 and 90gr SMKs are a lot better. 23.0-23.2gr H4895 was a very accurate node. Can’t remember my Varget data off hand....have to go look at my notes or try to find some pictures of targets if I took any. I really only spent time finding nodes with the 90SMKs rather than shooting for groups and doping since I was focusing on the ELDs...only had one 50rd box of the 90SMKs.

I shot a box of factory Hornady 88gr ELDs across the LabRadar also; these were measuring 2645fps:

yRimGgR.jpg

I will say that 224 Valkyrie has been the most challenging caliber I’ve loaded for in terms of finding nodes etc. With 8208, I had great groups but only at low speeds that made shooting the Valkyrie versus .223 pointless. Now that I’ve got the handful of data that my rifle likes, I’m enjoying the caliber a lot more but there was a lot of frustration in those earlier months

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender and TACC
I should add that’s with a Recce 5 suppressor so there might be a little bit of freebore boost in there. Did not measure unsuppressed speed at the time but it was using 10rd avg with a LabRadar chrono

Yeah I was getting better speeds but I had a 50fps drop going from 0.020" to 0.040" and with the 80.5gr fullbore I lost 100fps. I know I could pack more powder in and be safe but man its shooting well.

Just got back from the range today. VERY windy, but I did fire a few loads over the chrono.
My .22 Nosler handload with 88 grain ELDM and Sta-Ball 65 was trucking along at 3000 fps from a 22 inch barrel.
Couldn't get a good read on accuracy, as it is very windy. I also need to add a spacer to the butt stock, as the LOP is a bit short and made getting a consistent cheek weld all but impossible.
I will not publish the load as I am loading long and am over listed max for the 90 grain.
This load is not AR15 mag length.
I'm really liking this sta-ball powder in regards to velocity, ES and STD Dev seems a bit high.
I've got some 7-08 loads with the 162 and sta ball to try next.

How is the life barrel of this caliber?

Crazy, some people are reporting 7k rounds but I've heard a lot of guys around the 5k mark. Curious to see how that pans out in the next few years when the average Joe starts to reach those numbers. That's a lot of shooting for most...

On another note, this just came across my Instagram.
Screenshot_20200424-163201_Instagram.jpg

Lol. Can’t imagine why he’d post that. It was obviously a bad barrel/reamer combo for that testing. Too many ppl have had good results for it to solely be the cartridge/factory ammo now.

Lol. Can’t imagine why he’d post that. It was obviously a bad barrel/reamer combo for that testing. Too many ppl have had good results for it to solely be the cartridge/factory ammo now.

100% agree. In fact, whatever publication doing testing should’ve realized something was amiss and contacted the supplier of the barrel/rifle

So then, what is the use of a .223 bolt gun. The cartridge was specifically designed for the AR platform, therefore it makes no sense to put it in a bolt action.
Look, the reason for it doesn't matter. Notwithstanding the fact that some folks are prohibited from owning self loading rifles, a bolt gun in .224 makes sense.
You have increased performance without the governor of a .22-250 available in factory ammunition.
When's the last time you saw .22-250 FACTORY ammo loaded with 80-90 grain bullets?

Yeah, actually the 223/222rem mag was a slightly stretched version of the 222(aka triple duece) that had been used in br for awhile before stoner dreamed of an ar15.

Crazy, some people are reporting 7k rounds but I've heard a lot of guys around the 5k mark. Curious to see how that pans out in the next few years when the average Joe starts to reach those numbers. That's a lot of shooting for most...

On another note, this just came across my Instagram. View attachment 7307686
I’ll be keeping my .224V thank you very much. That barrel/chamber used to test for that article was obviously a dog.

Mine has shot all three different factory loads I tried just fine. Each under 1 moa at 100 yards. I can plink out to 600-ish with the cheap federal American Eagle and I use the Hornady 88 ELDM for further. With either, it’s a fun laser like AR and all the kids and anyone else that shoot it like it.

Reactions: Colin10 and TACC
I’ll be keeping my .224V thank you very much. That barrel/chamber used to test for that article was obviously a dog.

Mine has shot all three different factory loads I tried just fine. Each under 1 moa at 100 yards. I can plink out to 600-ish with the cheap federal American Eagle and I use the Hornady 88 ELDM for further. With either, it’s a fun laser like AR and all the kids and anyone else that shoot it like it.

Oh I know. I just thought this was funny because he cut my 224v barrel and it's the most accurate gun I own. 80.5gr beregs are at .23" @100.

Also he is pushing for the 220TB so it makes sense that he's no valkyrie fan. I'd just think he'd be a little more on top of things then to bash the valk based on a crappy test.

Reactions: Colin10 and lash
Headed to 400 YD range again shortly for more 224 V fun.

I had almost given up on mine. Went out today with one last batch of loads to try. Last group of the day was 88 ELDs over Varget. I think I’ll keep it.

26” PVA/Origin.
6C887F7D-1321-45F3-B7A3-CC9A2F0DD106.jpeg

My cheap ass Faxon barreled Valk that I got off the EE is probably the most fun gun that I own, it shoots much better than it should or than I can shoot it. I can be lazy and buy the 75s and shoot out to 600 all day for $9 a box or I can take my time and load up some 88s for some real fun. I literally have shot that rifle every Friday for almost a year, my boys love that damn rifle, my 9 year old girl can shoot that rifle. I dont think it has come out of my truck other than to clean it for about a year now. I always bring other rifles when we go shoot but I always include the Valkyrie if for nothing else the cheap fun factor of it.

Reactions: TACC and lash
My cheap ass Faxon barreled Valk that I got off the EE is probably the most fun gun that I own, it shoots much better than it should or than I can shoot it. I can be lazy and buy the 75s and shoot out to 600 all day for $9 a box or I can take my time and load up some 88s for some real fun. I literally have shot that rifle every Friday for almost a year, my boys love that damn rifle, my 9 year old girl can shoot that rifle. I dont think it has come out of my truck other than to clean it for about a year now. I always bring other rifles when we go shoot but I always include the Valkyrie if for nothing else the cheap fun factor of it.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Gentlemen,

I asked the question that started this thread 13 months ago. I , on purpose, decided to pause over a year before I looked to see what the bottom line was. Frankly, it appears 224 Valkyrie is not as advertised, 1000 yd accuracy seems problematic. The world is not running to get AR's in the caliber.

The caliber is dead at our range and the few who chased rainbows with it are not pleased with results ...those are the 1000 yd shooters.

What did I have wrong in my thinking , what am I missing. I want to believe but .....

People can’t shoot ARs as accurate as they think

They have unrealistic expectations

Can‘t call the wind and you need to call the wind

Works as advertised for me, screw everyone else. Yes the false start and the Federal 90gr load has put a black cloud over it that may never pass, but realistically speaking, I have no issues,

Shooting an AR has never been the same for most shooters, the majority can’t control the recoil correctly and just plain suck. Enter a new caliber and they think it will solve their shooting problems, not so much.

Clearly results will vary, it’s funny where they vary and by whom

Right now if I step off my back porch and shoot my 224 Valkyrie at the steel thats 1000 yards away using the absolutely shitty 75GR american eagle thats $10 a box at Academy not on sale its 9.0 mil to 1000...
My 6.5 creedmoor using 140gr Hornady Match its 8.78mil... If I go one further and use the AR10 6.5cm its 9.02 mil

Dont believe the fucking hype...lol.

Gentlemen,

I asked the question that started this thread 13 months ago. I , on purpose, decided to pause over a year before I looked to see what the bottom line was. Frankly, it appears 224 Valkyrie is not as advertised, 1000 yd accuracy seems problematic. The world is not running to get AR's in the caliber.

The caliber is dead at our range and the few who chased rainbows with it are not pleased with results ...those are the 1000 yd shooters.

What did I have wrong in my thinking , what am I missing. I want to believe but .....
Maybe you’ve been listening to the wrong people then. My experience with an AR I assembled myself using high quality components shoots great with factory ammo. Oh yeah, it also was the first AR I’ve assembled. I musta done something wrong... :rolleyes:

Here is the other side to the 224V, it honestly has became what I wanted the 6BR to become for me (to a very minor extent bear with me here because I still love my 6BR...). I wanted something cheap, easy to load for that used a minimal amount of components that basically anyone I wanted to take shooting regardless of age, size, etc could use. The 6BR fit all of that 30ish grains of varget but.....6mm bullets are scarce at times since they are in higher demand not to mention they cost significantly more than .224 bullets and yes that Lapua brass lasts forever but damn its not cheap and is scarce sometimes. Ok when I reload for 6.5 creed its 40ish grains of powder and when I reload for 224v its 24ish, not to mention I can use staball and crank out several hundred rounds an hour on the dillon without even weighing charges, thats almost half the powder used. More rounds down and on target for less money... We can continue the savings with barrel life if you would like....

The 224v will easily get you to 1000 yards and beyond, the drop data basically mimics the 6.5 creed like I showed in the above post; its just about the perfect training cartridge, the new berger 80 and 85s make it stupidly easy to load for; even for an AR not just a bolt gun. If you cant make it work you have either some inferior components or really havent really even tried.

The downfall of the 224v with alot of people is EXACTLY what Lowlight mentioned above, a semi auto is not easy to shoot, everything about it is in motion. Mistakes you make with a semi auto will be exaggerated, those tiny little bugholes are achievable you cant just plop down behind it and not follow mechanics and expect it to happen.

Last edited:
Mines doing just fine.

Haven’t had the opportunity to shoot to 1000 as my home range is only 800yds but putting in the work to dial in a load based on the bullet(s) I wanted to use...it’s great.

Long range is not the only use this cartridge has either. I built one specifically for night hunting coyotes because I wanted maximum shock out of an AR15 platform. Blood trailing at night sucks, and wastes time. Using the Federal factory loads with 60gr Noslers, I am getting .5-.75" groups from a JP barrel. And while I haven't shot a coyote with it yet, I did shoot a rabbit at 60 yards and it absolutely exploded. There were pieces caught in a branch 8' off the ground. I'm excited to see what it can do.

Long range is not the only use this cartridge has either. I built one specifically for night hunting coyotes because I wanted maximum shock out of an AR15 platform. Blood trailing at night sucks, and wastes time. Using the Federal factory loads with 60gr Noslers, I am getting .5-.75" groups from a JP barrel. And while I h

Every coyote I have killed with mine has been like turning out a light, there wasnt much tracking involved. I did almost decapitate a groundhog that somehow still crawled down his hole a couple of weekends ago lol. He really wanted to die at home.

Every coyote I have killed with mine has been like turning out a light, there wasnt much tracking involved. I did almost decapitate a groundhog that somehow still crawled down his hole a couple of weekends ago lol. He really wanted to die at home.

300+ yards on this one. Trucks in the distance. 80.5 gr Berger popped his head pretty well...

Attachments

• 20200425_114126.jpg
    20200425_114126.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 70

I know I suck shooting an AR15. But for me, 224 V is very legitimate in a bolt gun platform.

Built two with Faxon 1-6.5 twist barrels, one with the 20” gunner and the other with the 20” heavy, both shoot sub moa with any decent factory ammo you feed it, 60’s to 90’s, they just shoot, the factory 90’s stay sub moa out to 1000. Faxon has got their poop in a group on the Valkyrie!

Reactions: TACC and lash
Not too excited about it. I look at 223 load data and 224V data and for most bullet weights the difference is negligible.

I don't want to have to get a new bolt, dies, mags, brass, and then play around with a new cartridge that to this day has not lived up to the hype.

I'd rather build a 6 LBC/6 Grendel/6MM AR.

JP is not a custom, factory gun with no upgrades or changes.

I went to AK with my JP 224V and had them grab me 75gr American Eagle at $8 a box in Alaska

I went the range to zero it and was like WTF because there was only one hole in the paper, so I moved my POA up a tick to see if it changed, well yes,

This is 3 shots, not 2, made me laugh at all the complainers
View attachment 7303154

Pretty funny the factory guns that people jumped on early was a Savage and it didn't work, well you bought a Savage before they figured out their stuff was wrong
Not a custom gun, but priced commensurate with custom offerings. JP figured it out in a way that few others really have, and for that effort and competence you're going to pay $1300 (base price) for the upper alone. A complete rifle costs a minimum $2k (again, base price) at the low end for a 224V done right.

Nice things cost money, and if it costs that much to hop over to another caliber in a rifle built by one of the few gunmakers who figured it out, the best move for the everyman is to either save up or wait until other manufacturers have their act together and figure out how to make a good barrel and run a fuckin reamer straight.

I know I suck shooting an AR15. But for me, 224 V is very legitimate in a bolt gun platform.
Nothing wrong with that. A bighorn action and a good prefit seems like a really good way to start.

Not a custom gun, but priced commensurate with custom offerings. JP figured it out in a way that few others really have, and for that effort and competence you're going to pay $1300 (base price) for the upper alone. A complete rifle costs a minimum $2k (again, base price) at the low end for a 224V done right.

Nice things cost money, and if it costs that much to hop over to another caliber in a rifle built by one of the few gunmakers who figured it out, the best move for the everyman is to either save up or wait until other manufacturers have their act together and figure out how to make a good barrel and run a fuckin reamer straight.

Several barrel manufacturers have it figured out. I’ve built 3 uppers so far for under 750$ that shoot well under MOA, even with factory ammo.

You appear to have lots of thoughts on the subject but not a lot, if any, experience with the cartridge. If you get a quality barrel and know what you’re doing in assembling an AR, it’s not expensive to get a good shooter.

Just don’t get a cheap barrel and blame the cartridge. Too many of us have had success for it to be the cartridge.

Several barrel manufacturers have it figured out. I’ve built 3 uppers so far for under 750$ that shoot well under MOA, even with factory ammo.

You appear to have lots of thoughts on the subject but not a lot, if any, experience with the cartridge. If you get a quality barrel and know what you’re doing in assembling an AR, it’s not expensive to get a good shooter.

Just don’t get a cheap barrel and blame the cartridge. Too many of us have had success for it to be the cartridge.
I never said it was a deficiency with the cartridge, only the execution on the part of manufacturers making bad barrels with junk blanks improperly reamed.

For now, I'll wait until the cartridge becomes more popular and manufacturers figure out how to execute for less.