• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie

If you running a bolt gun you need speed

2950 is the sweet spot to start and only gets better the faster you go

The books are for semis not bolt, add more powder
Thanks Frank. Following up on our discussion at the Rifle Expo in Navasota. I'll ease my way up into, doing research on starting powder loads.......I guess Hodgdon's ceiling of 23.6gr of Varget for the 88ELD-M will be a decent starting point.

If you running a bolt gun you need speed

2950 is the sweet spot to start and only gets better the faster you go

The books are for semis not bolt, add more powder
I just listened to the podcast about your loads for the second time last night. I built an AR-15 platform during Covid. So I’m invested in the Valk. Anyone have any luck with Vihtavuori getting decent speed out of the 88s or the 85.5. I have a bit of n550 and n555 powders just chillin waiting to be used.

Also anyone done any 6.8spc to 224 Valkyrie brass conversion?

Last edited:
I just listened to the podcast about your loads for the second time last night. I built an AR-15 platform during Covid. So I’m invested in the Valk. Anyone have any luck with Vihtavuori getting decent speed out of the 88s or the 85.5. I have a bit of n550 and n555 powders just chillin waiting to be used.

Also anyone done any 6.8spc to 224 Valkyrie brass conversion?
You wont be able to fit enough N555 in the case to get decent speed. To bulky. N550 might do ok, but it’s bulky also.

If you want good speed in an AR Lever is my first choice. Mine is an 18” AR & I’ve settled on 77RDF’s and 80.5 Bergers running 2920ish with Lever. Built a 22GT bolt gun to run the heavies & digging it.

6.8 SPC conversion is to much work for me to attempt. Shoulders need pushed back a mile & 270 - 224 would be a 2 step deal. You’d also have to trim a country mile.

Order Starline Valk brass. Was available last I checked.

I did get hard up when no Valkyrie brass was available and converted 24 Nosler brass. It was an easy 1 step through the Valk bushing die. The 24 Nosler is a rebated rim & uses 223 bolt. Case capacity of the converted Nosler is + 1gr & primer pockets don’t last any better than Starline.

I ordered Valkyrie brass from starline on backorder. I don’t recal the exact time frame of when I ordered, maybe 6-8weeks ago and it just arrived last week.

@Lowlight without me having to go back and try to find it in the one podcast. What was that load with the cfe223 and the 85.5 that your friend shared with you that was money out of the bolt gun? I remember you talking about it but figured easier to ask then try to listen for it again. Thanks.

You wont be able to fit enough N555 in the case to get decent speed. To bulky. N550 might do ok, but it’s bulky also.

If you want good speed in an AR Lever is my first choice. Mine is an 18” AR & I’ve settled on 77RDF’s and 80.5 Bergers running 2920ish with Lever. Built a 22GT bolt gun to run the heavies & digging it.

6.8 SPC conversion is to much work for me to attempt. Shoulders need pushed back a mile & 270 - 224 would be a 2 step deal. You’d also have to trim a country mile.

Order Starline Valk brass. Was available last I checked.

I did get hard up when no Valkyrie brass was available and converted 24 Nosler brass. It was an easy 1 step through the Valk bushing die. The 24 Nosler is a rebated rim & uses 223 bolt. Case capacity of the converted Nosler is + 1gr & primer pockets don’t last any better than Starline.
I’ve been looking for a few days for starline and haven’t been able to find any.

I read on another site someone was converting 6.8 spc with a Redding 24 nosler doe with the expander ball removed. Then trimming a mile off of it. Then resized with the Valkyrie die. That’s all I had found on it so wasn’t sure how well that actually works.

I have an 18.5” barrel on my platform. Have quite a few 88 elds available to reload.

This is where the info is at, page 3 - 6.

I’ve been looking for a few days for starline and haven’t been able to find any.

I read on another site someone was converting 6.8 spc with a Redding 24 nosler doe with the expander ball removed. Then trimming a mile off of it. Then resized with the Valkyrie die. That’s all I had found on it so wasn’t sure how well that actually works.

I have an 18.5” barrel on my platform. Have quite a few 88 elds available to reload.
Go to starline's website.I ordered 250 last night. It showed backordered, but I got a shipping notice this evening. Supposed to be in hand on the 23rd.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Can anyone point me to the info on modifying, or windowing the mags for a valkyrie? I've got plenty of chamber length, but am limited to 2.285" coal.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread for that question. Mods can move it if necessary.

Can anyone point me to the info on modifying, or windowing the mags for a valkyrie? I've got plenty of chamber length, but am limited to 2.285" coal.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread for that question. Mods can move it if necessary.

Seems to always be some confusion in this thread of bolt or gas. Doesn’t seem like some guys even know we’re running the Valkyrie in a bolt. I as well got the mdt Valkyrie mags and one of the metal 6br mags. I was going to use the measurements from the gap in the feedlips on the Valkyrie mag to match the br mag to. Hopefully it works well. My barreled action shipped from Fritz today! super stoked.

Reactions: J_D
Seems to always be some confusion in this thread of bolt or gas. Doesn’t seem like some guys even know we’re running the Valkyrie in a bolt. I as well got the mdt Valkyrie mags and one of the metal 6br mags. I was going to use the measurements from the gap in the feedlips on the Valkyrie mag to match the br mag to. Hopefully it works well. My barreled action shipped from Fritz today! super stoked.
What was the lead time on that? I may want a new barrel.

Last edited:
I bought the action on Black Friday and got lucky that krieger had the barrel I wanted on the in stock list. Fritz was pretty quick on the custom chamber and getting me done.

Got my Starline brass in today. Going with both 88gr ELD-M and 85.5gr Bergers to start and will try 2 powders.

Starting off with 26.5gr for CFE223 and 24.2 for Varget. This is in a 26" 1:7 twist. Those should be relatively safe to start increments of .2 with.

Reactions: Simonsza1 and lash
Your post reminded me… just finished assembly yesterday.
BD5F11DB-FD1C-4949-8B05-4665FAC380E4.jpeg

I’m going with the 88eld just cause I have thousands. Have cfe223, rl15 and 4064. Cfe223 is probably where it’s at but may try the other two just for fun.

Reactions: lash
I’m going with the 88eld just cause I have thousands. Have cfe223, rl15 and 4064. Cfe223 is probably where it’s at but may try the other two just for fun.
What loads are you starting with?

What loads are you starting with?
I haven’t gotten that far yet. Your starting load of cfe223 is probably where I’ll start also just to get some rounds down. I’ll keep you posted though as I move along. Have matches both days this weekend so maybe play with the Valkyrie some next week I hope.

Got some new starline brass in. Took 24.4 out for a spin and came up with this with 5 at 100.
MGlDzVa.jpg

it shot nearly the same at 600... 3 into 1.5" this time with two droping low to make 1 moa total. I'll try it again with once fired now and also 1/10 more and less grain of powder.
Bolt gun I assume? Specs?

Just now realized I don't have a proper shoulder comparator for the .224 Valkyrie.

Does SAC make one?

Last edited:
So far I have used the 21st Century Black Nitrided expander mandrel (worked amazing), chamfered and deburred, and was about to install primers, until I realized I don't have the correct shell holder for the priming tool.........bummer......should arrive Sunday.

What I really found helpful were these cool Valkyrie tools.

IMG_6041.JPGIMG_6037.JPGIMG_6040.JPG

I did a full development load test yesterday. Tried both Berger and Hornady bullets from 24.2 up to 25.1 gr of Varget.

After that I much preferred the Berger results from the first test, and overall feel of seating from them, that I went back that evening and tested the 85.5 from 25.2 to 26.1 gr of Varget. I will upload the Chrono info and review in more detail the results and where I want to go next later tonight or tomorrow. I'l really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Not a single extractor mark or issue with primers with a top load of 26.1 for my testing. It was creeping up there in the possible compressed area, but I'll leave it there for now. I was more pleased with the 85.5 Berger smoothness of seating, all things being identical.

I've decided I'm going spend more time group testing 26.1gr and 25.5 grs of Varget to play around before I settle on a final.

My top speed at 26.1 was 2878 for both rounds, and for the 25.5 it was 2844fps. I'll load up 10 rds of each and see what happens next.

There is some Factory Hornady 88gr Match in there I used to warm up the barrel and get it ready for the load testing.
IMG_6058.JPG

Not a single extractor mark or issue with primers with a top load of 26.1 for my testing. It was creeping up there in the possible compressed area, but I'll leave it there for now. I was more pleased with the 85.5 Berger smoothness of seating, all things being identical.

I've decided I'm going spend more time group testing 26.1gr and 25.5 grs of Varget to play around before I settle on a final.

My top speed at 26.1 was 2878 for both rounds, and for the 25.5 it was 2844fps. I'll load up 10 rds of each and see what happens next.

There is some Factory Hornady 88gr Match in there I used to warm up the barrel and get it ready for the load testing.
View attachment 8091684
Are you loading out for a longer throat bolt gun? About your col on 88eld if so?

Are you loading out for a longer throat bolt gun? About your col on 88eld if so?
Right now I'm slightly past SAMMI by 0.13" with a COAL of 2.390". My jam was 1.888" and I seated CBTO at 1.838".

I ran about 50rds with those specs with no issues at all.

What's the preferred die set for the Valkyrie?
I sent SAC an email to see if they will be offering them soon, otherwise I'm leaning toward Redding.

*Update: SAC has no plans for Valkyrie dies this year.

Last edited:
I may have a Hornady set I'm going to sell. I prefer LE Wilson for everything, and I use their micrometer Arbor seating dies.

When I loaded the 85.5 Berger’s I had the best accuracy at 0.035” jump. Might try that to see if things tighten up in your next outing. In my 24” ar 26.5 of cfe223 averaged 2728 and a 0.6” group using the 88 eld-m’s at 0.035” jump as well.

I have a POF Renegade Plus in 224V that was given to me by my mother-in-law after my father-in-law passed away.

I've been loading Sierra 55gr GameKings and shooting coyotes at night using thermal. I finally got a decent day scope for it from a prize table and I'm ready to load something for day time steel.

Would I be wasting my time by trying to use the bullets and powder I have on hand?

Bullet:
Sierra 77gr SMK
Nosler 77gr CC

Powder:
CFE223
Shooters World Precision
H4350

I can get 2700fps sub-moa with my 18" 5.56 with 77gr already.

The POF is 20" and 1:7 twist. I'm not sure it's going to be worth it over the 5.56. Won't know until I try I guess.

If it doesn't "work", I'll try some 80gr VLD and 85.5gr hybrid bergers.

Yeah, I was running 77gr TMK with CFE223 (27gr's IIRC; it's a warm load). Think I was getting 2950 (yep, just pulled up my Kestrel gun profile on my phone). This was in a bolt gun (LH GT barrel), so proceed carefully if running an AR. I doubt you'll be able to run them as hot.

I have a POF Renegade Plus in 224V that was given to me by my mother-in-law after my father-in-law passed away.

I've been loading Sierra 55gr GameKings and shooting coyotes at night using thermal. I finally got a decent day scope for it from a prize table and I'm ready to load something for day time steel.

Would I be wasting my time by trying to use the bullets and powder I have on hand?

Bullet:
Sierra 77gr SMK
Nosler 77gr CC

Powder:
CFE223
Shooters World Precision
H4350

I can get 2700fps sub-moa with my 18" 5.56 with 77gr already.

The POF is 20" and 1:7 twist. I'm not sure it's going to be worth it over the 5.56. Won't know until I try I guess.

If it doesn't "work", I'll try some 80gr VLD and 85.5gr hybrid bergers.
80.5gr Berger Fullbores shoot 1 hole @ 100y for me in a 20” JP gas gun barrel with no pressure signs. I have a 22” 1:6.5t on a Bighorn Origin that I run 85.5gr Berger Hybrids at 2767 fps with 2.32” Coal that also shoot sub moa. The loads below are for the gas gun and all shoot submoa in a 1:7t

I cant even remotely push a 223 Wylde or a 5.56 chambered gas gun that fast in a 20” running anything as heavy as the Valkyrie without toasting the brass. I think if you like running .224 caliber bullets routinely passed the 500y mark in a gas gun, the Valkyrie is a good option if you get your reloading on point. Definitely anneal, it’s dropped SD’s into the single digits for me. These recipes below are all gas gun only loads. FC brass has the highest case capacity but tend to suffer from loose primer pockets if they’re run in an over-gassed gun.
You can get around this with CCI41 primers when they start to loosen up. The Hornady brass has been the most consistent for me.

80.5gr BFB, 26.6gr CFE223, Hornady Brass, CCI400, 2.260” (1.8” BtO)

88gr ELDM, 26gr R17, F205, FC(a), 1.717” BtO (2.270”) 2590 fps - submoa

80gr ELD-M, 26gr R17, FC(a), R7.5, 1.724” BtO - 2702 fps ES 18 SD 7.9 - submoa

80gr ELD, 27.4gr H414, FC(a), R7.5, 1.724” BtO - 2707 fps ES 16 SD 6.3 - submoa

Last edited:
Reactions: PorkChop and lash
I personally love the 224V I just wish it didn't suffer the problems it did early on and that there were better or more brass options readily available. After figuring out what powders, primer, and brass combos got me the best results its been consistent for me. I’ve found some pet loads that work really well for me…but not before going through several barrels before I got there.

Attachments

• IMG_6444_Original_Original.jpeg
    IMG_6444_Original_Original.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 60658956976__FB6C42BE-994C-412F-A5A1-387FC2AB6313_Original.jpeg
    60658956976__FB6C42BE-994C-412F-A5A1-387FC2AB6313_Original.jpeg
    978.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7635_Original_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7635_Original_Original.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1585_Original.jpeg
    IMG_1585_Original.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1584_Original.jpeg
    IMG_1584_Original.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3107_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3107_Original.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6461_Original.jpeg
    IMG_6461_Original.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 70
I personally love the 224V I just wish it didn't suffer the problems it did early on and that there were better or more brass options readily available. After figuring out what powders, primer, and brass combos got me the best results its been consistent for me. I’ve found some pet loads that work really well for me…but not before going through several barrels before I got there.
Are those groups from gas guns or bolt? I've had the same experience trying to find good loads for that caliber as well. I like the round, but it sure makes you work for consistency. I finally got some loads to shoot under 1 moa, but none shot into 1 hole like yours.

I'm getting ready to build another one. with what I hope is a much better barrel, so we'll see how that works out.

Never mind, I just saw the pic of the rifle. I think the heat is getting to me.

Are those groups from gas guns or bolt? I've had the same experience trying to find good loads for that caliber as well. I like the round, but it sure makes you work for consistency. I finally got some loads to shoot under 1 moa, but none shot into 1 hole like yours.

I'm getting ready to build another one. with what I hope is a much better barrel, so we'll see how that works out.
The only one thats the gas gun is the 80.5gr Berger Fullbore and its the one on the little Orange dot. The rest are bolt gun. The gas gun targets are hovering around .7”

I think the JP barrels and the Craddock Precision barrels are going to get you the best accuracy from a gas gun. Ive owned maaany barrels trying to get it to shoot the Valkyrie as well as my bolt gun and those are the only two brands Ive found were consistent. Also anneal every time before sizing.

Love the camo job. How was that accomplished?