• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

24" or 26" barrel

Bangin_steel

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Some were Texas
On a 300 wm will barrel length make a huge diff in accuracy if my 2 options are 24" and 26". The 24" already comes threaded so it would be cheaper to add a break if I want one plus if I did add a break to the 26" model it would be a little long for my liking to pack for hunting. Rifle is a rem 700 5r 300 wm.

You've answered you're own question in your post. I'd say go with the 24" it's only 2 inches.
xdeano

You've answered you're own question in your post. I'd say go with the 24" it's only 2 inches.
xdeano

I think any difference in accuracy would be coincidental. As you point out the 24 might be a bit handier in the field. For the 26, well they really start to shine in you are using slow burning powder and heave bullets. If you really want to shoot 200 grain plus bullets at extreme range and you load with a slow burning powder, then the 26 can be a good thing.

I think 26 would be the right choice for a 300WM. too many good powders to choose from and if you would like to shoot the heavier bullets, you can use all the help you can get trying to pump the speed of the bullet up.

On a 300 wm will barrel length make a huge diff in accuracy if my 2 options are 24" and 26". The 24" already comes threaded so it would be cheaper to add a break if I want one plus if I did add a break to the 26" model it would be a little long for my liking to pack for hunting. Rifle is a rem 700 5r 300 wm.

buy the threaded one if you want to attach a can or a brake, non-threaded 26" one if you want to shoot as-is. there will not be an accuracy difference between those lengths, and the velocity difference will not be great. as far as handling goes, the 5r isn't ideal for carrying great distances when you're hunting with the 26" OR the 24" tube. BTDT with a sendero ...

In a factory Remington barrel I doubt you will see much difference in 24 vs 26 in accuracy or velocity. As for threading, make sure you check your clearance if you buy it threaded from the factory. If you want to use it hunting get a back pack for carry... eberelstock makes some good ones, that is what I use to carry my 12-14 pound tactical rifles in the field. After a long trek you will be glad you have one.

Last edited:
If you are going to hunt with it alot then I would go with the 24in barrel. If it is going to be used to hunt some but mainly target shoot then go with the 26in. Hope this helps.