• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 or 308 for AR10 build?

243 is a hard thing to find in an LR308 build honestly. 6.5 Creedmoor took over the world pretty much and 243 stuff went away by and large. That said the Midway barrel above was 8 twist. I would be hesitant to have a 10 twist unless factory ammo was a requirement. My Mcgowen barrel was something like $250 on a Black Friday deal and $300 without flutes now. Well worth the cost to get what I actually wanted. Next one will be fluted, 20", 7 or 7.5 twist and +2 gas I think.

As a question to the others here who have had it, what's the heaviest weight you've gotten away with at 1:8? I am shooting 105s right now but haven't taken them to a decent length range, nor have I tested heavier. I was tempted to grab some of the 115 DTACs that seem to be sprouting up for sale in the PX to play around with but an not confident they'd stabilize especially in the short length 18" barrel. I think I'd wind up down about 225 FPS compared to a 24" barrel based on what I've seen online and I just don't think that's enough spin to give the super heavy bullets a fighting chance although I'm open to being told otherwise.
An 8 twist will shoot 108s at 2700(6mmAR)easy not 110 SMKs