• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 vs 6mm Crusader

Re: .243 vs 6mm Crusader

Mike can you get a 6mm Remington in a SA AICS mag with DTAC bullets? I had a customer wanting to do this, but I didn't think you could get the bullets out far enough.???

The guy who gave me the 117 gr. Matrix bullets had one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure you're not going to have high velocities with either in a short <26" barrel. </div></div>

Ya, I'm pretty sure you need the longer barrel to be able to burn out the powder to get it going fast enough. </div></div>

Faster burning powder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maine, you mean short range? </div></div>Maine doesn't have many long range shooting opportunities. I do have access to privately owned property that I have shot as far as 1075 yards and I think, with a bit of target rearrangement I can get to 1250. But that is as close to ELR as I can get, I'm afraid.

Lots of good info on this thread. I've seen the Super LR mentioned a few times , but not much data. Here's my contribution.

6mm Super LR

- 54gr H2O vs 55gr H2O .243
- 30 degree shoulder
- Longer neck -- less throat erosion and ability to chase lands as throat does erode.
- No fire forming just have to run .243 brass through a FL sizing die

.243 Win.(left) vs. 6mm Super LR (center) vs. 6XC (right)
243_win_vs_6mm_super_lr_vs_6xc_zm3t.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike can you get a 6mm Remington in a SA AICS mag with DTAC bullets? I had a customer wanting to do this, but I didn't think you could get the bullets out far enough.???</div></div>

Think of it this way. The parent cartridge to the 6 Crusader is the 6 Rem. The 6 C shoots the 115s from a short action and the brass length is the same.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out that I believe OAL wouldn't be an issue with the 115s.

I load my fireform rounds out to 2.955(which is my match length also) and thats using the 6mm Rem brass.

You'd need type 2 Alpha Mags I think to make this work. I don't think the normal AICS mags can load them that long.

Alpha mags don't work with 6mm Crusader, so I doubt they'd work with 6mm Rem. The shoulder extends past the large rib near the front of the mag. After the 7th or 8th round, the sides start to bulge out.

Also, the body on the 6mm Rem is tapered more, so you need to adjust the feed lips on the mag or they will pop right out.

The best mags I've seen so far for 6mm Crusader are Accurate mags:
http://www.accurate-mag.com/Magazines.html

They do not have the front plate and allow for 2.960" COAL. They also hold 12 rounds of 308 Win.

It's really hard to beat a .243 for cost and availability. I plan on reloading the 105g AMAX but have been more than pleased with the 95g SST Hornady loads. For a factory hunting bullet, it's sub MOA and very affordable. (It doesn't have the BC of the AMAX, but it's not bad at all.) I also love that I can find brass easily at multiple shops in town.