• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.243 winchester reloading

fhace126

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
i heard somewhere that the 6mm hornady 105 grain A-Max bullet will not stabilize in a barrel with a 1:10 or slower twist. Is there any truth in this if so what does that mean?

Re: .243 winchester reloading

no one would happen to know the twist in a barrel from a .243 winchester model 70 featherweight made before 1964 would they?

You can do the cleaning rod test on it to verify yourself.

Wrap a tight patch and put a mark on your cleaning rod, push it in until you get 1 full turn, mark it again. Push the rod the rest of the way through and then measure between the marks. It's not perfect, but it's close enough to get a very good estimate.

My stock Remy at 1:9 1/8" twist will stabilize the 105 pills but I need to drive them very fast.

I got a box of 105 amax pills and 87 vmax to try out of my savage 11 with accu. Any loads I should be thinking about using Varget? I have a pound of this on hand but will get whatever. I use a dillon 550 if that helps with powder choice

i did the cleaning rod test im pretty sure that its 1:10 twist so i guess this explains my problem: i started to reload my .243s and didnt know about this stability thing untill i had already loaded them. i shot them and there is absolutely no consistency with the rounds; the bullets fly all over the place, at 100 yards shot 20 at a 1'x1' target 3 hit paper aimed dead center everytime miraculously 1 hit dead center in the middle of the target dont know whats up with that

i reloaded with 40 grains of h4831sc

My !:10 243 barrel likes 85gr Sierra game kings and Hornady 87gr Vmax

While some say a 1:10 will stab a 100 grainer, I have had zero luck with anything heavier than 85 grains. The 90's shot like a shotgun. 60-85 at or below 1 MOA, depending on what kinda night I had. Mod 70 Win, 1:10 twist, med/hvy barrel.

I have shot 75 gr Vmax 6mm bullets in a 1 in 14" twist at 3050 ~ 3100 fps that were stable out to 50 yards, but some were keyholing at 100 yards.

What does it all mean?
Just because a bullet with a twist and a velocity is stable at close range, does not mean it is stable at longer range.