• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.257 weatherby, how far is too far

jimbob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2008
Colville, Washington
My buddy has been hounding me to post this, so here it goes. He has a mk v in .257 weatherby mag. He wants to build a magnum to go along with his GAP .308 and he wants to know if anybody has ever went long range with a .257 . If so what .25 cal bullets have the highest bc and perform on game.

Re: .257 weatherby, how far is too far

I would look at the Barnes, the Nosler Boat Tail, maybe an AMax or VMax? If I was going to look at a magnum for hunting, I would pick the .300 WM by a fair shot...

Get ready to pay for WBY stuff too!

Dave

I shot a mule deer at 520, can't comment beyond that.

After 600 yards I'd think you'd want something a little higher BC

Great deer round out to a few hundred yards...getting it to stabalize with any wind...at distance...wouldn't be the first choice of most.

The 257 weatherby is a great round. I've got a buddy who had one (since the rifle has been rebuilt to 7mm WSM, he wanted to shoot heavier bullets) and he could make first round hits on targets out to about 1600 yards. As for game I know he took deer and hog sized game at over a grand with it. The best bullet/powder combo he found was 115 grain berger VLDs with H1000.

The 115 Berger Vld have a good bc. And at 3400 fps it is very flat shooting. The problem is that factory weatherbys have alot of freebore and it would not be possible to seat the VLD close enough to the lands to get consistent accuracy. With Nosler/ Barnes bullets I would say 600 to 700 yards would be easily done for hunting. Run the numbers, Alot of people don't respect the 257 bullet. The numbers dont lie!!

I think the only thing holding the .257" bore dia back is the absence of a ~130gr VLD bullet. That would be similar to a 6mm-115DTAC or 6.5mm-140grVLD. If a bullet like that would be introduced, then you could get a fast twist .257 barrel. Then maybe we would get .250AI Savages or .257AI Roberts or .25Souper

Bullets like that exist. Wildcat was making them, and probably will again when they move to the US.

I agree that the selection of heavy pills is what's keeping the .257 back. I'd venture a guess that a 257Weatherby would perform well with a 130gr bullet.

My hunting partner gets past the 900yd mark accurately with his pushing the 110gr Accubonds. It's a Lawton-built rifle. I could post the load data later this week, he's out of country.

Bullet choices for the .257 limits this rifle for long range. I had a Mark V .257 and loved it but choice of bullets forced me to sell it.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Now I wouldn't even think of taking game at that distance with that bullet (not enough energy). But for target shooting it gets the job done.

Check out JLK bullets. I think that they advertise a BC of .500

I have 3 different Mark V's in .257 Wby.

I love them but as the rest said, there just isn't a good selection of heavy bullets to take advantage of it's potntial long range capabilities. The case is so long and could easily accomodate a heavier (longer ) bullet which would give it a better BC.

My vote for a long range magnum would be a 7mm Remington Mag.

Just an opinion.

Agreed there. I love the bullet selection for 7mm. And the RM is one of my favorite case. You can easily load a 7mm Rem Mag for 2000 yard shooting.

I might have more interest in the other 7mm magnums if the brass selection were better.

Yeah, there are like a dozen different 7mm Magnums. The problems with the short cases though is the longer bullets take up powder space.

I have a .300 WSM and if I had it to do over again would have just gotten the .300 Win Mag....or Weatherby Mag for the reason.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should trade for a 7mm Weatherby Mag.