• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.260 build underway.

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
A mate of mine and I were in the process of building twin 6.5-06 rifles for some mild kicking long range goodness.
We were going to use Vulcan Barrels but their button broke so we rang the Shilen suppliers and they had 1 barrel only so that was used to build the 6.5-06 which has proved to be very accurate.

That was way back in Feb so its a relief to get a call saying they have another. I have some work overseas until October which means I travel through LA on the way home . Always nice to pick up a few treats as they are cheaper there and choice is out standing.
I the mean time I have been checking the "Hide" regularly and seen a few 260 rifles floating around.
This certainly piqued my interest and as a result I have decided to build a 260 instead of 6.5-06 .... The rifle will be used for a few things. Mainly hunting but a bit of gong bashing also.

It has to be carried and will be suppressed.

So far I have the barrel and just this minute ordered the Bell and Carlson M40 stock.
I am thinking of a light varmint profile and have it cut to 22 inches and spiral fluted.

Pretty sure th barrel is 8 twist so should be good with a few weights.

I will post pictures when it's together..

I have a few speer 120 grain pills for Goat Busting that I'm keen to try.. has anyone used these?
I see the 120 a max also has a good rep.

Last edited:
Ok.. So the Barrel turned out to be no good on closer inspection but another one has turned up in 1-7 Twist.

I went ahead and ordered the PT&G One Piece Bolt with .699 OD to take up any slop in the used action and also the Large Diamond fluting, M16 Extractor, Small Firing pin hole and Standard .484 Bolt face (Google suggested that size but please let me know if its not!)
Whilst I was there I decided to grab the Nesika style shroud, Small Firing pin + Spring and the Round knurled bolt knob.

They have replied saying it will take 8 weeks to fill the order but that is fine as I am stuck in the UK until Mid September...

Does anyone have a load for a 22" Barrel 1-7 Twist that they care to share?

I also found this link... price seems too nice......

USD $ 74.99 - Drss New Arrival Tactical BT10-LW17-Atlas Bipod For Hunting 4.75-9, Free Shipping On All Gadgets!

Nah mate but currently in Notts for a few months. ..thought something was up!!

Ha!! Classic. I might give you a shout over the next few weeks... got a big break coming up. I have no rifles over here but I'm happy to pay!

Could someone please confirm that the bolt face required is the "standard .484" for the .260

Cheers..I didn't see a .473 option on the site so I am assuming it's the right one.

Fellas,

Im just wondering about the recoil lug options on PT&G since I have to order the rest of the bolt parts... Extractor etc so I thought I might order a lug from them also to save hassle.

What are your reccomendations for the lugs and should I have it pinned?

Cheers

I hear ya but I live in NZ.

Custom actions are silly expensive down here and what's more is the availability is limited....

It is easier and cheaper for me to do it slowly and have a custom'ish action... I mean once blue printed and the new one piece bolt is fitted then its a nice tidy semi custom... and it's kinda "one of a kind" I guess and that gives me satisfaction.

The chances are that I will keep this action for a long time as it will be worth the money if it Drives Tacks... and thats what we pay for.

I have gone .260 for the simple reason to up my Calibre to longer range and I'm hoping it proves to be an accurate Rig.... Thanks for the help and Advice people.

rbdub474 thanks... that has put my mind at ease since I got little help from PT&G! A reply just said "Ask your Gunsmith"..... Nothing is at the Gunsmith at the moment because I have to bring stuff home from the US and I want it all done at the same time...

Any recommendations for a lug width and pinning?

What about Barnard actions!!!!

As for lug width you could do with knowing what your smith likes do true the action to. They open up the race ways to match. As for a pinned lug it makes for easier barrel swaps if you decide to have a second barrel span up for a switch barrel in the future.

Ok Cheers.

I believe the cheapest Custom Action is $1899 and I can get my trued second hand one with new one piece bolt a heap cheaper than that after selling the Bolt, Barrel and Stock it came with...

Found a used Rem 700 SPS .308 for the donor action.... So it's "Ciao" until October when I can get her put together.... unless I have any other noob questions for you lot!

Man... had a few issues before we even started!!
Basically the company I use to send my gear home to NZ has closed down. All the components inside are being held... so that means my Bolt and all the parts for it are held as well as the Stock and Vortex Viper HS-T that I bought from a member on here.

Not cool.

There is a chance that I will get my stuff but that means a long wait and the whole reason I ordered them was so I could go ahead when I got home.

Thankfully, another member had the same stock for sale for a great price and I have organised that to be shipped when I pass through the USA and I will just have to get some Higher rings for my Sightron 8-32 to put on it until I know what's happening.
Hardly a "Stalking" Scope I know but hey, at least I know I can see what I'm aiming at.

The calibre has also changed. We have decided on 6.5-284 in a short action so I will have the PT&G Canoe style bottom metal and Wyatts extended box magazine installed to be sure it cycles.
Main reason being that we want the extra power for larger game and heavily Coated Thar that we will be going after next Winter.

I know it's a "Barrel Burner" but for the most part it will be loaded "soft" for smaller game like Goats.

Anyone have a SA 6.5-284?