• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.260 rem comp rifle build

micah379

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2010
Colorado ,Denver
I want to start shooting in some sporting rifle matches but feel I might be at a little bit of a disadvantage with my .308 and since I will not be allowed to use my .338 lm I have been contemplating building a .260,yardage in the comp will be 175 to 875 and for my build I was thinking

Stock -AI AX

Action- surgeon 591/R

Barrel- bartlein 1:8

Trigger - jewel or timney

Glass - nightforce f1 or S&B pm11

I have never shot any comps before and don't know if this would be a good setup, anyone with a similar rig or suggestions on a setup more suited to my needs please give me some info. Thanks

Re: .260 rem comp rifle build

Yep, that would work.

Though you're in Denver, you should just go see Mile High Shooting and have them hook you up with either an AIAX or even AIAE MkIII, either with a 260 barrel.

I think both of those would make real tackdrivers. I, personally have a AI AE MKIII in .260 with the Nightforce F1 and I love it. The only thing that I think sometimes is that I would've probably preferred to get the S&B, but I could not've swung it at the time with how much I had already threw at the set up. My next build will be around a Surgeon action, for sure, either in .243 7-08 or one of the WSM's. we'll see...

Get a Aiax, I have never hear of one failing ever, great gun. If u were planning on a surgeon/ax build anyways might as well go full ai

Scope is where I would buy the best u can afford as its worth every penny.

You might consider a Bighorn action. Very well made action built right here in our backyard. I have a couple rifles chambered on AJ's action, both tack drivers.

http://www.bighornarms.com/

http://www.triggertimegunclub.com/ usually has a few Bighorn actions. They also have stocks, scopes..... Good guys to deal with. Paul, the owner of Triggertime has been shooting for along time, he's a good source of knowledge.

Lots of great actions available... I just recently got a Badger M2008, and I really like it. 60° bolt throw, 2 rows of three locking lugs, exceptionally well made.

Whatever you do-make sure it takes AW magazines, which are far, far superior to AICS mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to start shooting a .260 in comps

Stock -AI AX

Action- surgeon 591/R

Barrel- bartlein 1:8 5r 26" long

Trigger - jewel

Glass - nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50 moa/moa or mil/mil or S&B pm11 with MSR reticle. </div></div>

Skip the F1 until the new 25x F1 comes out.

If you wanna save a few bucks, a Badger M2008 in an AX would have a similar look and feel of an AX for a couple hundred less. Just throwin it out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Action- surgeon 591/R
Barrel- bartlein 1:8
Trigger - jewel
</div></div>

I have the above in a McRee Chassis with 308 and 260 Bartlien barrels and a Vortex Razor HD with the ebr-2b on top. It is my do it all rifle; Hunting, shooting groups, steel, etc. I have been extremely pleased with it, and have had no issues at all with any of the components.

all very good choices, build it and show us how well it shoots later.
cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have never shot any comps before and don't know if this would be a good setup, anyone with a similar rig or suggestions on a setup more suited to my needs please give me some info. Thanks </div></div>

Personally I would just go and shoot with the .308 to get a couple matches under your belt first.

Will you be at a disadvantage...sure you will, but you'll learn a ton doing a couple of them and you'll still have a great time doing it.
Besides if you look at each stage as a learning experience for what you could of done better or what you did great on, instead of how well you placed with the other competitors you'll come out with more knowledge and enjoy yourself even more.
Some of our matches give a prize for the top .308 shooter anyways just to throw us a bone.

Then when you figure out if its for you, go for a custom build made for it.

Have fun !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have never shot any comps before and don't know if this would be a good setup, anyone with a similar rig or suggestions on a setup more suited to my needs please give me some info. Thanks </div></div>

Personally I would just go and shoot with the .308 to get a couple matches under your belt first.

Will you be at a disadvantage...sure you will, but you'll learn a ton doing a couple of them and you'll still have a great time doing it.
Besides if you look at each stage as a learning experience for what you could of done better or what you did great on, instead of how well you placed with the other competitors you'll come out with more knowledge and enjoy yourself even more.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Some of our matches give a prize for the top .308 shooter anyways just to throw us a bone.</span>

Have fun ! </div></div>

lol that is an awesome idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micah379</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Some of our matches give a prize for the top .308 shooter anyways just to throw us a bone.</span>

Have fun ! </div></div>

lol that is an awesome idea. </div></div>

X2

Good call, I think I will definitely take the crusader out for the last two matches of the year to get some practice and then get my build started for next season. Thanks