• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 rem vs 6.5 x 47 Lapua what do you have?

Re: .260 rem vs 6.5 x 47 Lapua what do you have?

I have a 6.5x47 and get 3500 rounds or more out of my barrels no problem.The .260 and 6.5x47 are very similar in performance.Lapua has made brass for the .260 for well over a year now so components are now comparable.

I prefer the 6.5 but the .260 is a damn good round as well

I run 142s at 2.89" COAL in my 260 and feed em from an Alpha Type II. Limited? I think not.

I have several 6.5 x 47 Lapuas, 2900 fps with 139 scenars and 40.6 gr RE17. One 6.5 Creedmoor, 2900 fps with 139 gr scenars and 42 grains of RE17. Both cartridges fit easily in magazines with the long bullets and feed flawlessly. Both rounds are very accurate. Both are very forgiving to load.

I have gotten more than 20 reloads with the lapua brass without annealing it. I have less experience with the Creedmoor brass. Price of each piece of Lapua brass is not much if you factor in how long the brass lasts.

Volume of the brass is exactly the same between the Creedmoor and 260 remington brass. Lapua brass's volume is less.

I don't think you would go wrong with either round. I have no experience with a 260.

John

It was mentioned that all 3 are the same ballistics wise, which is not completely correct in my opinion. 6.5x47 does not have enough case capacity to push the 140grs as fast as the 6.5cm or 260rem.

Lapua brass seems to be the holy grail of reloading, but after comparing the difference in accuracy, I'm not sure if it is really worth the extra cost. Under 1/2 MOA vs. maybe a fraction more under 1/2 MOA. Don't know how many shooters out there that must have Lapua brass, can actually shot and range etc. accurately under stress to benefit from the difference. Either way more than enough to hit a chest sized plate pass 1000 yards.

Give me a better barrel and chamber, good bullets and concentricity. I'll use the cheaper Hornady (6.5cm) or Federal brass (260rem) to shoot under 1/2 MOA, and I won't worry about losing a few fired cases. Plus, I'll have more case capacity and be able to push the 140grs high BC bullets faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was mentioned that all 3 are the same ballistics wise, which is not completely correct in my opinion. 6.5x47 does not have enough case capacity to push the 140grs as fast as the 6.5cm or 260rem.

Lapua brass seems to be the holy grail of reloading, but after comparing the difference in accuracy, I'm not sure if it is really worth the extra cost. Under 1/2 MOA vs. maybe a fraction more under 1/2 MOA. Don't know how many shooters out there that must have Lapua brass, can actually shot and range etc. accurately under stress to benefit from the difference. Either way more than enough to hit a chest sized plate pass 1000 yards.

Give me a better barrel and chamber, good bullets and concentricity. I'll use the cheaper Hornady (6.5cm) or Federal brass (260rem) to shoot under 1/2 MOA, and I won't worry about losing a few fired cases. Plus, I'll have more case capacity and be able to push the 140grs high BC bullets faster. </div></div>

Lapua(and Norma)from brass differentiate themselves from the cheaper brands due to consistency, service life and they don't need any prep or uniforming; there ready to go out of the box. Remington, Winchester and others may not be as consistent from batch to batch and you'll need to uniform the primer pockets, chamfer, deburred, and in some cases resize, just to get to Lapua factory tolerances. So, for most, it's not the accuracy but the consistency that make them the holy grail.

I just called Wade at Surgeon and had him put together a 6.5X47 change barrel set up for my scalpel. I like the idea of almost the same velocity of the 260 with less powder, smaller primers, and more room in the magazine and chamber for loads. I can't help but think in the next few years there could be some new technology that will allow for even better flying bullets that will have a longer OAL. The 260 on a short action will not have enough room to seat it out further like the 6.5 will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called Wade at Surgeon and had him put together a 6.5X47 change barrel set up for my scalpel. I like the idea of almost the same velocity of the 260 with less powder, smaller primers, and more room in the magazine and chamber for loads. I can't help but think in the next few years there could be some new technology that will allow for even better flying bullets that will have a longer OAL. The 260 on a short action will not have enough room to seat it out further like the 6.5 will. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. Well said.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul