• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Remington

You should have good luck with those 136 gr Scenar Ls. I have been shooting them for years with great results. They do not have the highest BC out there, but their consistency (both weight and measurements) and their jump tolerance make things easy. They hang right in there at distance with consistent results and no flyers that aren’t shooter induced.

When using H4350, you should find a good node around 41.6-42.4, depending upon what brass you are using. Out of a 26” barrel, I find 2750 FPS to be a very stable medium pressure node that gives me long barrel life.

You should have good luck with those 136 gr Scenar Ls. I have been shooting them for years with great results. They do not have the highest BC out there, but their consistency (both weight and measurements) and their jump tolerance make things easy. They hang right in there at distance with consistent results and no flyers that aren’t shooter induced.

When using H4350, you should find a good node around 41.6-42.4, depending upon what brass you are using. Out of a 26” barrel, I find 2750 FPS to be a very stable medium pressure node that gives me long barrel life.
The consistency in the bullets and the fact that they are quite easy to tune is what made me choose them. Shot a few different kinds and was going to settle on Berger 130’s but decided I’d give Lapua a try.
Yah I like that lower node around 42, my rifle builds pressure a bit quick so I like to stay low as I can.
thanks brady

Reactions: Snaz and lash
The 136 scenar L is my go to round for my Tikka CTR 260. With 41.6gr H4350, lapua brass, Federal GM210 primer and an COAL of 2.815", they shoot lights out.

just got my .260Rem built.
I’ll be testing a couple of different projectiles for mag length and single loading F-class type shooting.

mag length- 130gn ELD-M
Single feed - Berger 144gn LR Hybrid and 147gn ELD-M

28” 1:7.5 twist on a Howa Action.

So a new barrel means a new load for my main match rifle. Went a different direction on some components and got a hammering load for PRS...

Berger 130 AR Hybrid - 0.020
Peterson SRP 260 Brass
Federal 205m
H4350 - 44.3 gr
Avg Velocity - 3000fps
Avg Groups - Sub 1/2 MOA
SD's - 3-5, with some single digit ES's on some strings

What rifle are you shooting? Bolt or gas gun? I'm building a .260 upper for my gasser and looking for the right bullet. IS there a reason you chose the 130 AR Hybrid over the 130 VLD? Is that AR bullet more designed for the semi-auto, I assume? TIA

What rifle are you shooting? Bolt or gas gun? I'm building a .260 upper for my gasser and looking for the right bullet. IS there a reason you chose the 130 AR Hybrid over the 130 VLD? Is that AR bullet more designed for the semi-auto, I assume? TIA
The 130 Hybrid I believe was designed to run within semi auto mag length.

I have a couple of fantastic loads for my .260 Bolt gun if anyone is interested. Rifle is a 26" AI AT with a Bartlein Gradous barrel with a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 can.

The two loads I've worked up with two different powders while keeping the rest of the components all the same shoot lights out and are essentially on the same node and speed.

42.3 H4350 or
42.8 IMR 4451

140 Berger Hybrid
Lapua Brass
Fed 210M
2.950 OAL (Seated to just barely contact the lands)

Both are almost exactly @ 2875 fps. Both loads shoot .3 or better. I've shot out to 1550 yds on a standard man size plate and they are both hammers.
IMG_7053.jpg

This is a group my wife shot on Monday. It is the 42.8 4451 load with 140 Berger Hybrids. It was her 4th time ever behind any rifle and her first attempt at shooting a group (5 shots) at 100 yds. I think I'll keep her (LOL).

Last edited:
Did a zero check on my desert tech 260 22 inch Saturday. I know its only 3 shots but im extremely happy with this. 4th shot on the left was adjusting the zero

147s eld
47.7 h4831sc
Peterson brass

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-112021_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-112021_Gallery.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 139
The 130 Hybrid I believe was designed to run within semi auto mag length.
Ok excellent. That makes sense. I just looked on Berger's website and saw that bullet listed. I hadn't noticed it before. Thanks.

I just ordered 300 of the Berger AR Hybrids. Should be interesting to see how they shoot compared to the 140s at distance.

Reactions: PorkChop
Always loved the .260, but never got my first one until last year. Anyone got any load data for Berger 153.5 Hybrid Tactical and Nosler 140 RDF with Varget and/or 7828 SSC.

I ran these combinations in QuickLoad for you, but have no real world experience with them. 36-38 grains (90-95% fill) Varget under the 140 should top out around 2700 fps in a 24" barrel. 43-45 grains (100-105% fill) IMR 7828SSC under a 153.5 should top out around 2720. Disclaimer: If you're not an experienced hand loader, stick to published load data. Start low and work up watching for pressure signs. Temperature and humidity affect burn rate. Bullets jammed into rifling cause higher initial pressure.

Always loved the .260, but never got my first one until last year. Anyone got any load data for Berger 153.5 Hybrid Tactical and Nosler 140 RDF with Varget and/or 7828 SSC.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the 140 RDF. I ran them for a bit in the 260, and while they shot good, I could never get any consistency downrange. I switched to the 140 Hybrid, and my hits and score instantly increased. Look at the 140 and 144 Hybrid since you're already speaking of Berger. Try H4350 and H4831 between the Varget and 7828 you mentioned. I'm at 42.5 of H4350 behind a 144 which shot well behind the 140 too.

I’ve been shooting
Do yourself a favor and ditch the 140 RDF. I ran them for a bit in the 260, and while they shot good, I could never get any consistency downrange. I switched to the 140 Hybrid, and my hits and score instantly increased. Look at the 140 and 144 Hybrid since you're already speaking of Berger. Try H4350 and H4831 between the Varget and 7828 you mentioned. I'm at 42.5 of H4350 behind a 144 which shot well behind the 140 too.
I know my post count is low, but I’ve been shooting Berger for over a decade from .25 up to .30. I don’t have the “street cred” I did on LRH and LRO before getting banned. Some will recognize my username. For the price, it’s hard to not go with the RDF. 500 packs are about $100 less than Bergers, so volume shooting, I bought the RDF’s. I have 1000 of them, so I’m going to work with them and see how they do in my rifle. If I can’t get consistency, I’ll sell the rest. But for now I’m going to give them a shot.......Pun intended. 😉

Powder is hard to come by right now, and I never bought any 4350 or 4831 to try over the years. Varget always worked well enough, and if I needed slower, I went with CFE-223, then RL19 or 22, then 7828, H1000, 7977, Retumbo, etc...

Chiming in here. I also couldn't get the RDF to settle down. It would produce nice tiny groups at 100yards, but then open up at 600 yards and beyond. I was getting low ES (11-14 FPS) with H4350. I have since switched to 140grain ELDM's and can get sub MOA groups at all distances I have shot (out to about 1100 yards). Still using H4350. Tried H4831SC, but couldn't get near the velocity as the H4350 and both produced the same low ES I was seeing with the RDF's. Just my 2 cents on what I have seen with these bullets out of my .260 (26" McGowen Barrel, 1:8 twist, 2nd barrel, First one shot to just under 4000 rounds, before the bore started to go and my groups really opened up).

Reactions: lash
FWIW, I tried to get the 130 and 140 RDFs to work in my .260 with H4350, H4831Sc and I believe RL16. I ended selling them off and going with the Berger 136.

Just loaded up some ladder test loads for the 5R .260 with the Berger 153.5 Hybrids seated to .010" off the lands (2.282" to ogive). I'm using new Lapua brass, IMR 7828 SSC, and CCI 200 primers. These are WAY too long to fit in the magazine, but will work great for precision and LR shooting where they don't have to be mag-fed. Getting these to seat in the magazine would require them to have a 0.131" jump, and that's WAY too much for Bergers, IMO. The Nosler 140 RDF's are much shorter, and will fit in the mag with only around a 0.055" jump, so I should be able to tune those pretty easily, and still have a mag-fed LR shooter.

4D57E8E9-25AD-488A-958B-44BBB2854B3F.jpeg

5ECF1341-3E11-4BF9-B889-D23FC2139A96.jpeg
3890C5F5-9E3B-4539-9E93-298F5F53498B.jpeg

Just loaded up some ladder test loads for the 5R .260 with the Berger 153.5 Hybrids seated to .010" off the lands (2.282" to ogive). I'm using new Lapua brass, IMR 7828 SSC, and CCI 200 primers. These are WAY too long to fit in the magazine, but will work great for precision and LR shooting where they don't have to be mag-fed. Getting these to seat in the magazine would require them to have a 0.131" jump, and that's WAY too much for Bergers, IMO. The Nosler 140 RDF's are much shorter, and will fit in the mag with only around a 0.055" jump, so I should be able to tune those pretty easily, and still have a mag-fed LR shooter.
What mags are you using? You can load to 2.960 I believe with an Accurate AISC mag without the binder plate

What mags are you using? You can load to 2.960 I believe with an Accurate AISC mag without the binder plate
Those are Magpul AICS mags. They only have a useable internal length of around 2.875".

I'll have to look into the Accurate AICS mags. That would be nice if I could run those Bergers mag-fed, and still be near the lands.

Not sure of the internal length, but MDT has mags without binder plates. I have several and they all run flawlessly. I could measure but it's probably the same as the aics mags or darn close

Does anyone know if the Accurate Mags 2.950" internal length will work with the Magpul Hunter bottom metal and a factory 700 action, without modification?

Does anyone know if the Accurate Mags 2.950" internal length will work with the Magpul Hunter bottom metal and a factory 700 action, without modification?
The accurate mags are standard AISC patteren. If it accepts AISC mags these should work

Reactions: FuhQ
Tikka Tac A1 260 REM
Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M
Prime Brass, CCI LRP
43.2 gr. H4350
2725 FPS.
.040 off the lands
COAL 2.942
This load has been shooting great I have had it out to 1050 and it keeping impressing me.

Hawk Hill 26” barrel
Lapua 139gr Scenar
Lapua brass
FGMM 210M primers
42.5gr H4350
2885 FPS
.020 off the lands
2.85 COAL

Excellent performance

here’s a question for the experienced reloaders…. I have to seat the bullets past the neck/shoulder junction to stay within magazine length. It took me quite a while to figure out that after four firings on each piece of brass a brass donut was building up. So I ream the brass every four firings with an LE Wilson neck reamer that is tailored to my brass so that it only removes the donut portion, and none of the interior neck wall. My question is… Is this pretty normal for cartridges that must be seated deep? I anneal every firing with an AMP. The brass grows about .004 every firing, and I trim it after every firing as well. Anybody else have the same type of experience with bullets seated past the neck/shoulder junction?

Hawk Hill 26” barrel
Lapua 139gr Scenar
Lapua brass
FGMM 210M primers
42.5gr H4350
2885 FPS
.020 off the lands
2.85 COAL

Excellent performance

here’s a question for the experienced reloaders…. I have to seat the bullets past the neck/shoulder junction to stay within magazine length. It took me quite a while to figure out that after four firings on each piece of brass a brass donut was building up. So I ream the brass every four firings with an LE Wilson neck reamer that is tailored to my brass so that it only removes the donut portion, and none of the interior neck wall. My question is… Is this pretty normal for cartridges that must be seated deep? I anneal every firing with an AMP. The brass grows about .004 every firing, and I trim it after every firing as well. Anybody else have the same type of experience with bullets seated past the neck/shoulder junction?
No that’s not normal to have to seat super deep like that or have that much brass growth. How are you measuring where jam is? How far back are you setting the shoulders and how are you measuring?

What are the best mags to shoot out of a semi to be able to use 140 Berger Hybrids without having to seat them super deep? Or Am I better off just sticking to the 130 AR Hybrids?
I'd probably stick with the 130 AR Hybrids in a semi-auto (AR-10 platform) rifle. I don't know of any mags that allow much longer than SAAMI seating depths for the AR platform. But there might be some out there that I'm unaware of.

Reactions: ReaperDriver
What are the best mags to shoot out of a semi to be able to use 140 Berger Hybrids without having to seat them super deep? Or Am I better off just sticking to the 130 AR Hybrids?
AR mags are even more limiting.
I just go 130’s.
I went back to them in my bolt gun after a got a magnum to cover the further stuff.
100-1200 yards the 130’s are awesome.

Reactions: MattSplat and lash
No that’s not normal to have to seat super deep like that or have that much brass growth. How are you measuring where jam is? How far back are you setting the shoulders and how are you measuring?
I measure jam with a Hornady OAL Gauge using a fire formed piece of brass from my rifle. I use 3 fresh Lapua 139gr bullets to take multiple (6-10) measurements, so I am pretty confident of the final number. The COAL is just a touch under 2.850, and the limit for my AICS AW mags is 2.880, so I don't have much more to play with... looking at the pictures below, trying to move the bearing surface in front of the neck/shoulder junction would exceed my mag length by a LOT. I will have to ask my gunsmith how much freebore he used, but even if it is .100 it could only be increased to about .160-.170.... not enough to make a difference? I'm guessing he used the longer freebore already.

I set the shoulders back .002 as measured with a Sinclair Bump Gauge. Fired brass is 1.571 and is bumped back to 1.569.

I shoot mostly PRS, and a little F-Class. Results have been fine... shot a 199-11x in December with a group of 20 that was only .266" tall at 600 yards (in the picture, the X ring is 3" diameter, and the 10 Ring is 6" diameter)... so it shoots fine... just builds donuts and grows .004 per firing. I got 15 reloads out of the last batch of brass before primer pockets got a little loose. I guess this is one of those setups that is "not optimum, but it works"???

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 104
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 120
  • b3.png
    b3.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The COAL is just a touch under 2.850, and the limit for my AICS AW mags is 2.880, so I don't have much more to play with... looking at the pictures below, trying to move the bearing surface in front of the neck/shoulder junction would exceed my mag length by a LOT.

I have an AI AT and I'm pretty sure they use the same mags as the AW. I'm able to load my 140 hybrids to just shy of 2.960. 2.955 clears easily.

Reactions: riffraff
Wondering the same, since I almost got my 260 built. Maybe somebody will chime in.

Wondering the same, since I almost got my 260 built. Maybe somebody will chime in.

It sounds like the answer is to shoot the 130 AR hybrids. That makes sense due to the severe limitations with AR-10 mags. I load my 140 hybrids out to max mag length around 2.955. If I had to load these to 2.82 or so, the 140 would be REALLY deep in the neck.

I'm hopefully nearing the build complete stage as well (waiting on the upper). So I've already stocked up on the 130 AR hybrids in anticipation of not being able to use the longer bullets.

As an aside, I wonder if this is the advantage to the 6.5CM in a semi - given it has a shorter case and more room to load long?

I measure jam with a Hornady OAL Gauge using a fire formed piece of brass from my rifle. I use 3 fresh Lapua 139gr bullets to take multiple (6-10) measurements, so I am pretty confident of the final number. The COAL is just a touch under 2.850, and the limit for my AICS AW mags is 2.880, so I don't have much more to play with... looking at the pictures below, trying to move the bearing surface in front of the neck/shoulder junction would exceed my mag length by a LOT. I will have to ask my gunsmith how much freebore he used, but even if it is .100 it could only be increased to about .160-.170.... not enough to make a difference? I'm guessing he used the longer freebore already.

I set the shoulders back .002 as measured with a Sinclair Bump Gauge. Fired brass is 1.571 and is bumped back to 1.569.

I shoot mostly PRS, and a little F-Class. Results have been fine... shot a 199-11x in December with a group of 20 that was only .266" tall at 600 yards (in the picture, the X ring is 3" diameter, and the 10 Ring is 6" diameter)... so it shoots fine... just builds donuts and grows .004 per firing. I got 15 reloads out of the last batch of brass before primer pockets got a little loose. I guess this is one of those setups that is "not optimum, but it works"???

I have an AI AT and I'm pretty sure they use the same mags as the AW. I'm able to load my 140 hybrids to just shy of 2.960. 2.955 clears easily.
@riffraff, I use AW mags for my 260 and load 136g Lapua Scenar Ls to 2.880” OAL and still have plenty of room if I wanted to load longer. Below is a picture of a round in the mag showing that I have 2.980+/- available in the mag if I wanted to go longer. I’ve never heard of anyone having an oal issue shooting 139s from a 260. Either your throat is way too short or you’ve gotten something wrong along the way.

51D3577C-C3E9-4022-91D0-6254602DDCD3.jpeg

ETA: I know that the picture angle makes it look like the case is hanging over the back of the magazine, but trust me that that round is in the mag and it’s just the one-handed cell phone angle that makes it look that way. I have loaded and shot somewhere around 10,000+ rounds with this exact spec and bullet, all at dynamic ranges and targets during matches or practice. 👍🏻😎

Last edited:
It sounds like the answer is to shoot the 130 AR hybrids. That makes sense due to the severe limitations with AR-10 mags. I load my 140 hybrids out to max mag length around 2.955. If I had to load these to 2.82 or so, the 140 would be REALLY deep in the neck.

I'm hopefully nearing the build complete stage as well (waiting on the upper). So I've already stocked up on the 130 AR hybrids in anticipation of not being able to use the longer bullets.

As an aside, I wonder if this is the advantage to the 6.5CM in a semi - given it has a shorter case and more room to load long?
Yea, tried with lapua 136 gr. In my pmags. I can fit those to exactly 2.8". Might have to go just below that. But, was thinking of those 130 bergers myself. Do to mag length.

I finally got my hands on some Hornady A-tip 153gr. I almost wish I hadn't since my first load was the best group I have ever shot measuring at .262
A- tip 153gr
43gr H4350
CCI LRP
Prime brass
.040 off that lands
COAL 2.950

AR mags are even more limiting.
I just go 130’s.
I went back to them in my bolt gun after a got a magnum to cover the further stuff.
100-1200 yards the 130’s are awesome.
Just for fun, I did try some 130 AR Hybrids in my bolt gun while awaiting my final parts for the Gas gun build. They really shot well and with some dedicated load development, would be even better. I'm looking forward to shooting them in the semi....... if the %&*$% upper would ever get here! :cry:

Just for fun, I did try some 130 AR Hybrids in my bolt gun while awaiting my final parts for the Gas gun build. They really shot well and with some dedicated load development, would be even better. I'm looking forward to shooting them in the semi....... if the %&*$% upper would ever get here! :cry:
Unless your pushing the limits of distance I firmly believe that 130-135ish Bullets are the happy place for 260.

I’ve heard good things about Staball and one guy I shoot with is having good luck in his 6.5 Creedmoor with it. Haven’t tried it yet myself.

I have good success with n160 and n560 with 140 grain SST’s and hornady match for years. (39.5-44gr.)

Unless your pushing the limits of distance I firmly believe that 130-135ish Bullets are the happy place for 260.

I do pretty routinely shoot out to 1200-1350 And sometimes to 1550yds with the .260 boltgun, so I do like the 140s for that distance. The Hybrids are a Hammer at that range. I'll probably stick to under 1200 with the gas gun and well under that for most matches, so the 130s should be in a sweet spot.

In this powder shortage. I’m out of H4350. What is the other go to powder? IMR4451? H4831? N160? StBall 6.5?

4451 is my go to powder now for the .260. It's proven to be every bit as temp insensitive and consistent as H4350. I have about 16# of each and they pretty much are identical in performance.

I've been hearing good things about this Staball. I've not tried it, but I'm tempted to get some and give it a go as a backup in these crazy times.