• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Remington

That looks really promising. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying the 153’s in my stick. It’s the identical copy of yours but with a Bartlein Gradous barrel. I’m having outstanding success out to 1600 yds with Berger 140s HT and 144 LRHTs. I’m getting just at or slightly under 2900 with the 140 and about 2830 with the 144s. I feel like the 153.5 is a bit too heavy with a .260 as you can’t get then fast enough to take full advantage of the BC. I think the heavier bullet is better suited to some of the short magnums, 6.5 PRC, etc. I’d be interested to see the wind difference between a 144 and 153 at say 1200+ yds.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well. I have a really good load worked up w/Hornady 147gr ELD-Ms and I'm not sure that making the switch to the Bergers is worth it, at least not PRS distances I see here.

Here's AB graph for a drop and drift comparison of the 153.5gr vs 147gr ELD-M. Looking at the table, I'm only seeing about 0.10 mil wind drift at the distances I plan on shooting most often.

Screenshot_20211009-121713_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20211009-121721_Applied Ballistics.jpg

AI AT 26" 1-8 Bartlien bbl

153.5gr Berger LRHT
Lapua LRP & CCI #200
CBOL: 2.2345" / 0.030" off lands
39.8gr of RL17
Avg: 2757 ES: 9 SD: 4.3

Last week, I loaded these up in .3gr increments from 39.5gr to 41gr with RL17. 39.5 & 39.8 both grouped well, both w/SD in single digits. I had heavy bolt lift and ejector swipes at 40.1gr, so I stopped there. The 39.8gr load shot well enough that I decided to just try it.

Loaded up 50 rounds over the weekend and took them out today. Wind was only about 4-5mph from 1-2 o'clock, so no good data on how they handle that. I held center of target and hit all the way out.

Drop:

300yd: 1.0mil
390yd: 1.7mil
620yd: 3.6mil
800yd: 5.5mil
1k yd: 7.5mil

Hopefully we'll get a little better wind conditions to see how they handle it. Kestrel showed about a 0.1 mil difference in drift @ 1k and was pretty dead on too. The 147 ELD-M was only7.0mils @ 1k for comparison.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-29 17:33:38.601260.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-29 17:33:38.601260.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 139
New video is up testing out the new Arken SH4 Gen2 on my .260 Rem with the Nomad-LT... Hopefully the angle and sound quality is better in this one...

Built a 260 Rem on a 1903 Turk Mauser action, Bartlein barrel throated for 3.1" OAL in September.
Sighted in and got 0.5 moa in October. 46.5 gr IMR-4451, 120 gr Nos Bal Tip, 2934 Quickload, 2849 fps chrono
Shot a deer in October.
Eating the deer in December.

Attachments

• Turk 260 deer 20211025_164301.jpg
    Turk 260 deer 20211025_164301.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 131
I am wondering if anyone has tried LT-30 with 140 ELD's in their 260 rem. I have a couple pounds of it that I use with my 222 and I got this idea.:unsure:

I am wondering if anyone has tried LT-30 with 140 ELD's in their 260 rem. I have a couple pounds of it that I use with my 222 and I got this idea.:unsure:
I’m no reloading expert and I know that there are those that use other powders in all burn rates, but isn’t LT-30 a bit fast for this case and application? I could see it, maybe, with a lot lighter projectile. My concern would be a light fill causing possible ignition issues in this larger case.

Reactions: TNTmx9
I’m no reloading expert and I know that there are those that use other powders in all burn rates, but isn’t LT-30 a bit fast for this case and application? I could see it, maybe, with a lot lighter projectile. My concern would be a light fill causing possible ignition issues in this larger case.
It’s a lot too fast for 140’s

Reactions: TNTmx9 and lash
Has anyone here done any loads or have load data for Accurate 4064 or IMR 4895. Looking at either loading 123 SST or 140 ELDs. About all the powder I could get my hands on right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone here done any loads or have load data for Accurate 4064 or IMR 4895. Looking at either loading 123 SST or 140 ELDs. About all the powder I could get my hands on right now. Any help would be appreciated.
I haven’t, but did a quick search and found these. It does seem like they will work, but are not optimal in .260 from what I’m seeing. Notice that the fill on the listed loads is a bit low at about 36g. Those are listed as max loads and aren’t very fast, but as with any load development, you’ll need to find out what works in your rifle.

Anyway, even though I just noticed that the 4064 I captured is IMR and not Accurate, here’s a couple to get you started:

5511DFE0-57F5-45D9-A0F1-4BA25A8A42E1.jpeg

10DBAC7C-6C24-4CE6-A2C2-268A11DBDA6D.jpeg

Note that you will likely have better luck with the 123s and probably get a better fill volume too. Good luck and be careful.

I haven’t, but did a quick search and found these. It does seem like they will work, but are not optimal in .260 from what I’m seeing. Notice that the fill on the listed loads is a bit low at about 36g. Those are listed as max loads and aren’t very fast, but as with any load development, you’ll need to find out what works in your rifle.

Anyway, even though I just noticed that the 4064 I captured is IMR and not Accurate, here’s a couple to get you started:

View attachment 7820993

View attachment 7820994

Note that you will likely have better luck with the 123s and probably get a better fill volume too. Good luck and be careful.
Thanks for the help! Gives me a good starting point. Think your right that I’ll probably have better luck and speeds with the 123s. I’ll report back!

Reactions: Short Round
I've had H4831sc perform better with some rifles and H4350 perform better with others. Both are great powders. Its always worth checking both with a new 260.

Varget has always been a great one for me... I know it's hard to find, but works great for all temp ranges and is stabile and consistent. Also produces good velocities and case fill in all my cartridges that I use it in.

I’ve consistently had great results with H4350/AR2209. Very reliable powder with the 130-140gn pils.

If I find myself shooting a 260 again I’m going to be trying Varget/AR2208 with the 120-130 projectiles for something different.

AI AT 26" 1-8 Bartlien
Lapua SRP
Federal 210 Primers
43.7gr Staball 6.5
Hornady 147 ELD-M
COAL 2.845"
5 shots: AVG: 2867fps ES: 10 SD: 4.5
10 shots: AVG: 2866fps ES: 28 SD: 7.3

I shot the 5 round group yesterday, then loaded up 10 rounds each at 43.7-43.9gr. Went back out today and shot them at 200 yds. I wasn't nearly as steady today and the groups opened up. 43.7gr was still the best out of the bunch and the lowest SD.

View attachment 7700844View attachment 7700843View attachment 7700847View attachment 7700845
Where did you find Lapua SRP Brass???

Where did you find Lapua SRP Brass???

I'm assuming 308 Palma necked down.

Shit my mistake, it's LRP. The fed 210s are LRP. I fixed that. 260 is the only thing im currently shooting that isn't SRP and I confuse easily lol.

I've seen the Alpha SRP come in stock a couple times the last month, however. You might look there or get on their email list.

Reactions: PowPowHawg
Just picked up a T/C Barrel in 260 Remington. What is everyone using with the brass and ammo shortage? I am an Experience reloader and was considering necking down some 308 or up some 243. I have seen that 243 sometimes doesn't work as well. Does anyone have any experience neck turning the 308's and is it needed or not. Barrel is a T/C Custom Shop barrel and is 26 inches in length. Believe it is a 1:8 twist. Thinking 129 gr SST's.

Just picked up a T/C Barrel in 260 Remington. What is everyone using with the brass and ammo shortage? I am an Experience reloader and was considering necking down some 308 or up some 243. I have seen that 243 sometimes doesn't work as well. Does anyone have any experience neck turning the 308's and is it needed or not. Barrel is a T/C Custom Shop barrel and is 26 inches in length. Believe it is a 1:8 twist. Thinking 129 gr SST's.
I’m using Lapua .260 Rem brass. It can be found if you Google hard enough.

Grafs has Peterson 260 small rifle primer in stock - just got some to develop hunting loads. I have used 7-08 brass before as buddy gave me some.

Reactions: lash
I am planning on using the SRP brass with small rifle magnum primers and will attempt to develop higher velocity. Research 308 "Palma" SRP brass and why they use SRP brass.

Reactions: lash

midway had alpha LRP brass a few weeks. says out of stock now but backorder-able, also says SRP coming soon.

A lot of good options for brass already mentioned. I’ve found that Norma’s .260 brass holds up really well and is available and on sale right now.

Regarding your question about using .308 brass. It works very well, but you will want to neck turn or you’ll get donuts.

Reactions: Defender3
A lot of good options for brass already mentioned. I’ve found that Norma’s .260 brass holds up really well and is available and on sale right now.

Regarding your question about using .308 brass. It works very well, but you will want to neck turn or you’ll get donuts.
I shot a ton of the original Prime 260 and still have 3 cases, which, IIRC, were Norma components and brass.

I shot a ton of the original Prime 260 and still have 3 cases, which, IIRC, were Norma components and brass.
Me too. I bought two cases, shot them, and have reloaded those cases roughly 20 times without losing a single one to enlarged primer pockets or split necks. I do anneal.

I’m getting ready to start a new barrel with two more cases of the original Prime with Norma brass as I only have just over 100 left of the original 400 due to losses at matches. It always amazes me how brass can get lost in close cut grass of less than 4” long.

Reactions: Defender3
I neck down 308 brass to 260. i do have to turn necks so they chamber. (these are once fired military brass) Honestly, unless you love spending hours on brass prep, I wouldn't bother with it and just buy some 260 brass. I do enjoy the process so i continue to do it but understand it is a process and it does take time.

Reactions: Dot3 and lash
I looked about an hour or so ago and Creedmoor Sports has some Peterson .260 LRP and I think SRP brass in stock. You can sign up for notification for the Lapua also.

Honestly, I don’t often buy just raw brass if the round is available with decent factory ammo that has good brass. I guess it is a form of laziness to break in a barrel with good quality factory loads in good brass and then use that almost perfect fire formed brass as the basis for your first loads. Plus then the barrel is seasoned and settled. Ready for load development.

Admittedly this is much less optimal for the large magnums and ELR stuff, along with less common cartridges that often don’t get much industry support.

Reactions: Dot3
I do really like the .20Remington.
I have 2 Tikka rifles in this caliber.
The first one is a CTR with the factory 20" barrel, that i did shoot out, it took over 6000 rounds to do it, so Tikka factory barrels can handle shooting and it did still did under 0.4 MOA with 5-shots, but it was gettin so slow.
This rifle is now rebarreled with 28" Krieger M24 SS 1/8" and Carnbonsix 24" BULL 1/8" barrels.
Nice to see, that kind of speed that Krieger will give :cool:.
Then i have this 24" Tikka T3 SS Varmint.
Super accurate rifle.
It works well with N150, N160 or N555.
N160 and 123gr it will do over 900 ms with the powder charge from VV manual.
Now i am running it with N555 with 123gr Scenar, even the VV do not give data for it, but i did test it with the load
that works well on my 6.5CM, and it is working very nice.
Like this young chap can demonstrate :)

Reactions: Defender3 and lash
It does also efect on the sound, what kind of place you shoot.
We still got snow like shit, the shooting booth we shot with my son today is bouncing the pressure back, even there is acoustic plates on the wall, it sound like grandmother fart, when the pressure wave is hitting from the wall, also recorded with a cellphone, with my Panasonic camera, the sound is way different.
That Otter can seems to be pritty quiet, how much does one of those cost?
This Jaki Titanium Forest is 299€/330$ and weights 250gram.

Quick question guys. My previous 260 was just under 2800(2798), but had an SD of 2.0. I kind of think that I could squeeze a little more velocity out of it, and get closer to 2870.
What is a good speed to expect?

Can we ask why you think you need more speed? At almost 2800 and a 2.0 SD, you are in glorious territory.

Short answer is yes. Using 140 class bullets, you can get to that speed. Just remember that everything comes at a price and that price is severely shortened barrel life.

Reactions: cruze5
Hello Everyone,

Tons of great info in this thread and have read almost all of it, who is loading 260 for the semi autos? getting ready to try out he load from the first page with 4350 and Berger ar hybrid 130s. what else do you all have success with? Shot some Gorilla 130s today and it went half an inch at 100, no chrono till I link up with my buddy chris in a couple weeks but will update with speeds then.

Attachments

• IMG_3936 (2).JPG
    IMG_3936 (2).JPG
    608.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: LRRPF52
Dont remember. I'll see if I can dig it up. I pretty much never go for speed. Small SD's and small groups is what Im after. Have been shooting my 12" Grendel more than anything lately if that tells you how much I care about speed.

Reactions: Chad Hulsizer