• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 260Rem, reliable and accurate choice for AR-10?

JL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2005
Banned
Cheers

Have been playing around with an idea to update my Oberland Arms AR-10 SASS with some 6.5mm barrel.
Likely it would be 260rem, barrel lenght around 22".

Does special 260 reamers for AR10 even exist?
Mean like 223 "wylde-style", accurate chambering without sacrificing reliability.
What should be taken into account?

TIA, all info appreciated!

Re: 260Rem, reliable and accurate AR-10 chambering?

My DPMS LR 260 works fine, shoot sub MOA (won't feed Berger VLDs). My bbl is 24".
I would think any AR smith could build you a barrel.

dpms260.jpg

Ok, its just that there isnt too many AR10 smiths this side of pond...(see my location)

Importing barrel would be one possibility, but thanks to Osama BL, paperwork will be massive nowdays- woudnt want to go there.
Even barrel extensions can be hard to find sometimes.

Could You kindly give some details about your stick -havent ever seen 260 AR10 "live".
I presume mags 1:1 same than in 308 version, but how about feeding ramps? Any other differencies compared to big bro?
Gas hole, buffer and spring?

I wonder what it would take to go 6.5x47...

Thanks again

I really don't have the level of expertise in ARs you need. I would contact Brownells in Montezuma Iowa and connect with their technical staff. They have some real AR experts as they sell all the aftermarket items for ARs.

Sorry but I don't know where:
Loc: http://tinyurl.com/2m9yv3
is.

thanks, Larry

Looks like Finland to me.

Speaking of special 260 reamers for gas guns, does anyone see a problem with having a reamer made up with a short enough throat allowing a bullet of choice be seated at or slightly into the lands? Say send Kiff a dummy round with the bullet of choice with a COAL of 2.80" and have him throat it so that he round is at the lands.

I like the performance I get from Berger 130 VLDs but they are very sensitive to the jump distance. I remember someone asking this on a board a while back and someone came back and said case capacity would be lost. Case capacity would only be lost if you chose not to have a bullet seated out at the lands.

I had the gas block installed 4 inches farther out front for the 260 rem for better powder and bullet flexibility. Standard 260 Rem SAAMI works well for seating for a mag length 2.8 OAL 107s or 120s. 140s sit a bit deep but will function. John Holliger of White Oak precision does AR10s well.