• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2x4" as a stock!

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
So I have a Savage 112 long action 308 single shot. 22in varmint contour heavy barrel. The stock (factory) is absolutely horrible. Stiffest, most recoiling gun ive ever shot. And Ive shot some 300's. This 308 with this piece of shit stock puts them to shame! The rubber recoil pad is literally hard as a rock. It literally feels like youre shooting a 2x4" as a stock. Anyone who says a 308 has light recoil can come give this one a try. Gun weighs in at about 6.5lbs.

This is a build im working on so I need a new stock and trigger. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can do a forum search and find many that have upgraded these. You need to have some type of budget or you will get anything from mild to wild as far as stocks and upgrades are concerned. Might want to scan through this link as well and you will find more info: Savage Shooters

So I have a Savage 112 long action 308 single shot. 22in varmint contour heavy barrel. The stock (factory) is absolutely horrible. Stiffest, most recoiling gun ive ever shot. And Ive shot some 300's. This 308 with this piece of shit stock puts them to shame! The rubber recoil pad is literally hard as a rock. It literally feels like youre shooting a 2x4" as a stock. Anyone who says a 308 has light recoil can come give this one a try. Gun weighs in at about 6.5lbs.

This is a build im working on so I need a new stock and trigger. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Never seen a Savage, single-shot Target Action with a 22 in. barrel- and there are no current offerings that fit that bill.

Is this an older model?

Far as stocks go, what are you looking for? Composite? Laminate? Chassis?

Not nearly the aftermarket stock support for Remington, but they're out there. Just built my son's .260 into an AICS, but couldn't find what I wanted for mine in a laminate stock, so I made my own.

Try Stocky's, see what they have. Chassis's other than AICS include XLR.

For trigger replacement, use a Rifle Basix.

Last edited:
The gun was originally a 220 swift. Was bought new in 1994. This particular action is discontinued. The barrel is a custom.

Im looking for a synthetic stock. Somewhere around $200-$300. Any experience with Choate?

Any experience with Choate?

I had my 308 in a Choate, it grouped nicely until one day it opened up from <.5 MOA to 2 MOA. While I was going over the rifle to figure out WTF I realized that the aluminum bedding block had come loose and was sliding around in the plastic. Oh and heavy as hell too.

I have researched all of the stock in your price range and ended up saving the extra $ and got a McMillan A-5 and am glad I did.

Damn, that sucks. The A5 is a bit out of my price range though. At least right now.

Id get a slip on recoil pad for the factory stock before I spent $ on a choate. Look into HS stocks, if they make one. Thats the cheapest I would go. Slip on pad and save your $ for a better stock is my advice

I'd stay clear of Choate. If you can save up $200-$300.....save a little longer and get a decent stock.

The gun was originally a 220 swift. Was bought new in 1994. This particular action is discontinued. The barrel is a custom.

Im looking for a synthetic stock. Somewhere around $200-$300. Any experience with Choate?

Actually, yep...

My younger son's Savage .308 is in a Choate Tactical. Factory barrel (hunter profile) and AccuTrigger- and shoots 3/4 minute.

I like the stock. Needed the cheek riser, and it's HEAVY as already mentioned. Not something I'd recommend for a hunting rifle- but for bench or prone, it'll definitely tame the recoil better than the old Tupperware you have now.

No issues with the bedding block on this one.

As for anyone calling them a POS, well....tell Russell Simmonds that. He won the F-Class World Championship using one five years ago.

Affordable Choate Tactical Stocks for Remingtons and Savages « Daily Bulletin