• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

30-06 shooters, in here...

Thank God I found this thread.

I have been on a few other forums, and the thread always turns into "why do you want an '06? You should get a bla bla bla."

I just ordered a Krieger CM, 28" #14 Heavy Palma, 1/11 twist. I also ordered the Obermeyer chamber. I think that after reading Salazar and what has been written on this post, that I want to go with the Serengeti chamber. A gunsmith friend of mine on the other side of the country said all the same things on this thread about the Redding dies and everything else.

A couple questions I have are: 1) where to get the reamer; I checked PTG, and I guess I just do not know how to do a search, because I could not find it on their web site. 2) How much is it? 3) When ordering the reamer, do I have to indicate a throat or freebore dimension, or will they know if I state the the projectiles I want to use? I plan on shooting 168-200 grain bullets. I've shot moly-coated Berger VLDs before with amazing results (1/2 to 3/4 min) out of the regular pencil-thin sporter barrel that is currently installed on my left-handed M700 BDL.

Thanks guys!

You're not gonna find that reamer on PTG's site. You need to call them. Mine ran me $138 plus shipping. I had to wait a while for mine because I ordered it when everyone was at Shot Show and they also had to make it. You don't need to specify anything if you're gonna shoot 168-200 bullets. The standard reamer if perfect for those.

I have the Obermyer chamber on my rifle and it hammers. From everything I read the Serengheti is a better chamber but the Obermyer is no slouch either. I couldn't imagine it being too much better then what I have. If you already have or are able to get the Obermyer I would get that rather then have to wait 6-8 weeks for the other that is if your smith can already start on the rifle. If you have to wait on your smith then might as well get the Serengheti, just my two cents....

Thanks guys for the responses.

I ordered my barrel a couple of weeks ago, and it will take Krieger several months to even get to it, so I have plenty of time to get the Serengeti reamer. Plus, since I am overseas and won't really be home to "take care of things," I have nothing but time to think and dream, right??

I cannot take my rifle apart until I get home, anyway. You see, I need to shoot it for the rangemaster at the range where I shoot so he can sign off on the target so I can sell the barrel. It is a 22" factory pencil-thin sporter barrel with holes where the front and rear sights used to be (I have the sights in a baggie). With H4831, moly-coated Berger VLDs, and Federal Match primers it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 minutes regularly, and it shoots sub-minute with 168-gr Sierra Gamekings. And that is with the factory walnut stock. But it heats up after about 6 rounds, and the group starts to open up.

Maybe I should just keep that rifle "as-is" and build a different gun? I could use the one in question to shoot for pizza and beer, as NOBODY would expect that kind of accuracy from that gun?

Maybe I should just keep that rifle "as-is" and build a different gun? I could use the one in question to shoot for pizza and beer, as NOBODY would expect that kind of accuracy from that gun?

Might as well. The action would be about the only part kept.

Oh ok, I thought the reamer could be done by anybody, but cut with the Serengetti specs.

Unless someone has the machinery to make a reamer and a copy of the print, they'll need to get one from PTG. But that's not all. Once you have the reamer there are other tools and machinery required to use it.

Right, I'm building a custom 30-06, and my gunsmith will do the barrel work. I just thought it was a very expensive print. Thanks for the information, been wondering for a while.