• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing 300 Blackout for Hogs?

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
Im very interested in getting this round in an AR-15 but am torn on barrel length. I'd like to get something as short as possible, something around the 8-10" length for use with a can but dont want to sacrifice the ability to hunt hogs.

Shots would not be over 200m and I would be using supersonic loads using either the 110gr V-Max or a 110gr or 130gr barnes tsx (or anything else that will work well). Any thoughts on if I'll be able to get the sbr length or if I'll be stuck with a 16" barrel or maybe even longer?

Re: 300 Blackout for Hogs?

Hey Bro, I've got Noveske 8 1/2" bbl and can and it cycles the 220grn subsonic ammo with no problem. Somewhere between 8-10" barrel length is the ducks nuts.

Full bang ammo you can use a 16" barrel to stay away from NFA issues and it doesn't necessarily affect accuracy if you go with some sub ammo. If you "mount" your can permanently it'll cover the NFA requirements....but if you're already down the road with ATF for a can, then you might as well SBR a lower and be able to pick and choose barrel length to your hearts content!

Cheers,
Breeze

Having owned 300s in 8.5 and 12 (AR) and a 16" bolt gun, I can say for certain, the 8.5 was loud as balls, even with a can. The longer the barrel the quieter the report, with or without a suppressor.

For an AR build, I settled on a 12" barrel, much quieter than 8 or 10, and much easier to move around than a 16.

They are fun. And will put down a hog, so long as the round goes in the right spot.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may go with a 14.5" barrel and permanently attach a flash hider to get the 16" requirement so I dont have to deal with an SBR. While tempting to permanently mount a can I'm not superstar rich and would like to be able to put it on my bolt gun as well. Thanks for the help guys, think im decided.

How long are the 7.62 AAC flash hiders? Anyone know? I dont see a length on any of them on their site.

If you want to be able to swap a can back and forth, just get a 16" barrel and use it on both your bolt gun and upper. If you permanently mount that flash hider....are ya going to be able to mount a can on it?

Just sayin',
Breeze

I have no idea? If you permanently mount a flash hider does that preclude you from mounting a can on it? I've never owned a flash hider or a can before so this is uncharted territory for me.

Some cans thread on your barrel, some are detachable that locate off of an A2 flashider and others use a special flashhider with lugs for a true quick disconnect ability.

If you are looking at being able to swap from gun to gun, simple/cheaper threaded barrels and a threaded can are your best option.

Start digging throught the different suppressor manufacturers and their mounting systems and you'll see what I mean.

Good Luck with it,
Breeze

Get a 16" threaded barrel, move the can around. If everything will be super, 16" will do much better than a shorter barrel.

When you decide to start shooting some subsonic, you'll be hooked.

If money is short, consider a Yankee Hills can, they are heavy as hell but work very well, I have one and like it.
If no plans to go subsonic, ever, consider a 6.8, lots more ammo available. 300BLK may make it, may not, 6.8 has a few manufacturers making ammo; BLK, just the one - and I have yet to see a supersonic BLK round (though the supply of subsonic seems to be much better than 6 months ago.)

Don't do a permanent flash hider, get 16" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking at being able to swap from gun to gun, simple/cheaper threaded barrels and a threaded can are your best option.</div></div>
If he wants to use a .30 can for smaller calibers, a quick mount is quite handy. Alternatively you could use thread adapters of course.

So far I've shot one pig with a 300BLK using subsonic rounds. Shot placement is VERY important with these as they won't expand. Supersonic is another story and you should not have any trouble taking down hogs or whitetail with them. I am going to try my 125gr TNT loads on next trip.

I was looking at getting an AAC or surefire. Im still fairly undecided between those two or even something else. This can would be used on my 308 bolt gun as well as this 300 blackout and would have to be interchangable between the two rifles.

I would be using supersonic for hogs and maybe a whitetail or two.

Reb,I'm not bagging on either manufacturer. But, check out Doug's gear at www.srtarms.com He's got some great gear. My last can was from him and so will be the next one.

Breeze

hmmm, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Getting back to the original question, will supersonic loads in 300 blackout be enough for a moderately sized hog say 200 to 300 pounds or should I just get an AR-10 in 308? The things I like about the 300 blackout are the following: I can use the same lower to mount various uppers in various calibers, I can use standard 223 mags (keeping in mind the OAL and the mag rib), I can use range brass and incredibly cheap lake city 223 brass, low recoil so my wife can shoot it if she wants, ak-47 ballistics, 30 rounds to a mag, can silence if desired, 30 cal bullets. Huh maybe I just convinced myself to get it but the question still stands.

Im basically trying to save money by getting a softer recoiling rifle thats relatively cheap to shoot (I reload) that my wife can shoot, combined with a hog hunting rifle all rolled into one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will supersonic loads in 300 blackout be enough for a moderatley sized hog say 200 to 300 pounds</div></div>

Yes it will be enough. For example 125gr bullet with 2000fps muzzle velocity:

100y: 1774fps / 873ft-lb
200y: 1568fps / 682ft-lb