• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 PRC update

I CIP magazine feed the 230 A-Tips...they don't really care about jump at all...unless you are shooting paper at 1000 yards...you may not see a difference in seating depth on the 230's....the 250's...yep...have to single feed them.

If Thunder Valley Precision is open this weekend...I will most likely be there shooting some 230 A-Tips out to a mile.

Reactions: Mk32784
Just got off the phone... ordered a Orgin Action + 1-8 twist Bartlein barrel for a 300 PRC build. Goal is to shoot it at the NF ELR Match in June.

Probably gonna go for the 230 A-Tips. Would prefer to mag feed it so hopefully they run well that way.

Reactions: b2lee
who's gonna be the first to shoot the 208s and 220s?

i'm a ways away from my 30SM, but those might be what i use considering im using a 10 twist

Has anyone tried the 190 Badlands ELR bullet in the PRC? .720's G1 and I sure you could push them hard like 3300-3350 without being on the edge.

3300-3350 is more like 168-175gr territory for a 24" barrel. Just tested some stuff this week; 165gr @ 3360 avg. 62ksi with 81.5gr of RL-26. YMMV. Sorry to dash your dreams.

My 30" gets ~120-130fps faster than 24" published load data. Might put you in the 3200-3250 range. Subtract 30-40fps for a 28".

My 30" gets ~120-130fps faster than 24" published load data. Might put you in the 3200-3250 range. Subtract 30-40fps for a 28".
Have you run solids? I'm running the 150 Lehigh in my 308 and with cfe. 3030 shows a rounder primer edge than 2840 with the 168 berger varget load I have. I'm at 2990 with RL15 and it shoots well there. I can't get a 150 cup and core much over 2900 without flat primers and more head expansion than I like. This is a fast barrel but it's only 26". I may try them when I get it done towards May. Thanks for the input

Haven't done any solids. I've run copper hunting bullets in other calibers but I don't know if its a fair comparison to make with the various LR offerings available. Pressure difference from cup&core seems to be mostly related to bearing surface and case intrusion IME. With the pointy LR bullets, probably less of a detriment than with hunting solids where you're trying to get them to mag feed in hunting rifles.

So, after following this thread for awhile I wanted a 300 prc. I just took delivery of a Badrock Southfork, trying to keep this as a budget friendly endeavor. I pulled a scope off an ar laying aroud and this is the first 3 out the tube..
20200207_103505.jpg

Going to MHS tomorrow to get proper glass and a brake. Pretty excited to get load development started! Thanks to all that posted data, it's much appreciated.

So, after following this thread for awhile I wanted a 300 prc. I just took delivery of a Badrock Southfork, trying to keep this as a budget friendly endeavor. I pulled a scope off an ar laying aroud and this is the first 3 out the tube..

Cool! I've been thinking about a Badrock in 6.5PRC. What was your delivery time for the 300PRC?

Cool! I've been thinking about a Badrock in 6.5PRC. What was your delivery time for the 300PRC?
5 weeks, SHOT was in the middle of that, they said 4 weeks so I would think they hit it. Honestly, I am really pleased with the transaction. Defiance is top notch.

Reactions: Pools1
I’ve settled on a razor gen 2 4.5-27 ebr 7c for my rifle scope and seekins rings. That’s should be here within a week or so. I have some 225 ELD-m I’m going to put in front of some H1000 to start out.

Reactions: b6graham
So, after following this thread for awhile I wanted a 300 prc. I just took delivery of a Badrock Southfork, trying to keep this as a budget friendly endeavor. I pulled a scope off an ar laying aroud and this is the first 3 out the tube.. View attachment 7243924
Going to MHS tomorrow to get proper glass and a brake. Pretty excited to get load development started! Thanks to all that posted data, it's much appreciated.

How does the tenacity action feel? Bolt lift? Does their chassis accept CIP length magazines? (3.85) Contemplating on the getting a southfork myself.

How does the tenacity action feel? Bolt lift? Does their chassis accept CIP length magazines? (3.85) Contemplating on the getting a southfork myself.
Action is great, it's a 90° which is new for me, but it is smooth. Yes it is cut for CIP mags as that is what they sell for it. I think it's a great package for the money. I was going to use one of my mk V actions but this was cheaper and faster. I think it would be hard to be disappointed with what I got.

Just installed 29” 300PRC barrel.
anyone have a light brake in load with h1000?
Supplies I have for brake in:
230 Bergers
CCI BR2 or Fed GM215M
H1000

was thinking something around 70gns. Have to check case fill. Don’t need a double ignition.

0CBAAD7D-58AA-4AA7-91EC-4B269E10969B.jpeg

Middle of the road...maybe...if that's ur style...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-113447_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-113447_Drive.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: JB.IC
Im going to load some 225 at 72g H1000 to break in my barrel and sight in. Probably 25 rounds. Then work up to 77. There’s should be a node around 76-76.5 grains running around 2900. I’ll use Hornady brass and cci200 primers. Brass has been blueprinted.

Reactions: JB.IC
Im going to load some 225 at 72g H1000 to break in my barrel and sight in. Probably 25 rounds. Then work up to 77. There’s should be a node around 76-76.5 grains running around 2900. I’ll use Hornady brass and cci200 primers. Brass has been blueprinted.

i was thinking the same. I’m in Arizona so I don’t want to load near max but it’ll be interesting to see what speeds I get at a heavy bolt life.

So, after following this thread for awhile I wanted a 300 prc. I just took delivery of a Badrock Southfork, trying to keep this as a budget friendly endeavor. I pulled a scope off an ar laying aroud and this is the first 3 out the tube.. View attachment 7243924

What was your load? Great shooting...

Soon as my brake shows up going to be trying these out see if there is something that going to look promising

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: TEUFEL820
Anyone using the Forster Co-Ax with the Redding 300 PRC competition seating die? If so, with what length of bullet? Any clearance issues?
I have 1800 empty cases ready to load but my Hornady seating die with micrometer is too tall for the press. Looking for an alternative with micrometer. Thanks, Kendal

Holy fuck the hornady match bullet seater die blows!!! Come on Sinclair and release the in-line die already

Reactions: dfp dfp
Apologies if this has been discussed but I took a pretty good look through this thread and don't see much chat about what the best freebore is for this round.

I'm building a 300PRC hunting rifle and while I'm waiting on parts, I need to start thinking about who I am going to send them to and what freebore I'm going to be looking for.

I'd like to be able to do some load development by touching and lands at mag length for some of the heavy hunting bullets, but also want it to shoot factory ammo for peace of mind if I need to buy the factory stuff for whatever reason.

Here are the build specs:
  • Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter in Long Action
  • Proof Carbon Fiber Barrel
  • AG Composites Carbon Fiber Visigoth Stock
  • HS Precision bottom metal
  • Nightforce NX8 2.5-20
I'd like to shoot:
  • Hornady 212gr and 220gr ELD-X
  • Berger 245gr EOL

Apologies if this has been discussed but I took a pretty good look through this thread and don't see much chat about what the best freebore is for this round.

I'm building a 300PRC hunting rifle and while I'm waiting on parts, I need to start thinking about who I am going to send them to and what freebore I'm going to be looking for.

I'd like to be able to do some load development by touching and lands at mag length for some of the heavy hunting bullets, but also want it to shoot factory ammo for peace of mind if I need to buy the factory stuff for whatever reason.

• Nightforce NX8 2.5-20
I'd like to shoot:
  • Berger 245gr EOL

SAAMI spec is designed properly, including throat and freebore. If you want extra capacity, 30 Sherman Magnum is not a bad choice and can still use factory ammo.

--------------------------------------
I'd like to shoot:
  • Berger 245gr EOL

Wow....I had some advice for the 212 and 220gr ELD-x's...then you threw the Berger 245 grainer in there....You may want to load up some dummy rounds and check them in a magazine and see if you really want that big boy at magazine length. I had Greg Young at SPR...aka Bugholes...chamber my 300prc and I sent him the round that I wanted to shoot out of it. The name 'Bugholes' is quite fitting in the rifle he produced.

For hunting...I'd shoot the 220 ELD-X...and target the 225gr ELD-M...and have it chambered for the 225 ELD-M....and call it a day...the thing will shoot lights out with a good gunsmith and the parts you have listed.

I personally shoot the 225 ELD-M out to 1000 and the 230gr A-Tips to 1 mile....for sub 1000 I go with the more economical of the two...and my loads don't see much difference in DOPE.

i like to give the rifling some slow and tinder love first

So...turn the lights down low...put that rifle on a bed of velvet pillows...put a little slow Elvis on...pour a little wine... and talk sweet to that barrel.

Reactions: TripleBull

• Nightforce NX8 2.5-20
I'd like to shoot:
  • Berger 245gr EOL

I am running a sammi spec chamber in my target rifle. This barrel i will be using to get a feel for this cartridge. If I determine I require a different freebore I will address that on the next barrel. The cartridge was designed for running long heavy bullets and the sammi chamber represents that.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Anyone using the Forster Co-Ax with the Redding 300 PRC competition seating die? If so, with what length of bullet? Any clearance issues?
I have 1800 empty cases ready to load but my Hornady seating die with micrometer is too tall for the press. Looking for an alternative with micrometer. Thanks, Kendal
Try the the rcbs matchmaster....

Attachments

• 15813879783148744733138580966341.jpg
    15813879783148744733138580966341.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 85
I’m using a Whidden click adjustable die and seater set with my old rock chucker. Seems to work well.

I’m using the RCBS matchmaster

Here’s my load test.
29” barrel suppressed

my magnetospeed was giving me some off the wall readings. Some as high as 4K FPS. The velocities below are from my LR.

my next test will be between 73.5 to 74gn.

3C9156C2-F0CD-419D-8C5C-4F137B0C7CA3.jpeg

11844D7B-2EF7-45CD-94FD-891AEE768F10.jpeg

1FF957DF-24B6-4D8B-BB6C-372068908AAF.jpeg

Reactions: idgunnut and Dooby
@JB.IC Have you tried some Retumbo or N565 to see if you can get more speed with less signs of pressure? Maybe I should order some Berger 230 HTs and test out in my set up. I'm really digging the 230 A-Tips..but I like trying new things.

@JB.IC Have you tried some Retumbo or N565 to see if you can get more speed with less signs of pressure? Maybe I should order some Berger 230 HTs and test out in my set up. I'm really digging the 230 A-Tips..but I like trying new things.

the only powders I have are H1000, IMR8133, H50BMG.

I haven’t heard of anyone using 8133. I’d definitely like to use that powder if it would work in my favor

I haven’t heard of anyone using 8133. I’d definitely like to use that powder if it would work in my favor

If you were close to N. KY I could give you some N565 to try out...I think you'd really like it on that 230gr Berger. It surprised the hell out of me on the 250gr A-Tip.

Running 8133 in the 300SI they are seeing 3050max and 2850@80grains with the 225eldm 28" barrel Rl33 and N570 run 3100 at max. The SI version is an improved version so figure a start load of 78 for 8133. Rl50 is close to Rl33 in burn rate and may provide a bit better es than 8133. It should run faster than H1000 before pressure

If you were close to N. KY I could give you some N565 to try out...I think you'd really like it on that 230gr Berger. It surprised the hell out of me on the 250gr A-Tip.

im out in Arizona but that would have been a sweet hookup.

Running 8133 in the 300SI they are seeing 3050max and 2850@80grains with the 225eldm 28" barrel Rl33 and N570 run 3100 at max. The SI version is an improved version so figure a start load of 78 for 8133. Rl50 is close to Rl33 in burn rate and may provide a bit better es than 8133. It should run faster than H1000 before pressure

In this case I may ditch H1000 all together and try the 8133 out. I have five 8lb jugs lol

Reactions: ubettcha
I've had a few that had very loose primer pockets...but no case separation. With a custom chambered Defiance Deviant and Bartlein barrel...I get zero growth to my brass after the first firing.

And if you look through the threads...I'm pushing some of these loads pretty dang hot.

im out in Arizona but that would have been a sweet hookup.

In this case I may ditch H1000 all together and try the 8133 out. I have five 8lb jugs lol
Both my barrels shipped this morning so in about 2 weeks I should have some answers. I have Rl 26 Retumbo and 4955 and H4831.
Should be a fun ride.

Reactions: JB.IC and b2lee