• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

@Rocketmandb One of the most authentic and precise depictions of a PSI Meter I've seen on YouTube :) Enjoyed it man. Keep the videos coming.

And at 500 yards that wasn't a flyer...that was my normal shooting ;)

I finally got my RCC brass chambers in 300 PRC. Just to be clear i payed for my brass around $600 for 100 pieces. I took random 10 pieces of brass and did measurements.
As i stated before i will perform full review of RCC brass this is part 1 and part 2 will be coming after i do all testing on range.
I used Mitutoyo ball style Micrometer, and results were amazing.
Neck thickness of brass was within in 0.0005, 0.0005, 0.001, 0.0005, 0.001, 0.001, 0.0005, 0.001. 0.0005, 0.001. Better than Lapua brass that i use in my 6.5CM.
Did you uniform the necks prior to measuring the thickness?

I measured the neck thickness of the 50 pieces of 300 PRC RCC brass. I was able to make one sometimes two measurements around the neck of each piece of brass. The issue I encountered was a slight bow in the neck. The flat of the Mitutoyo ball micrometer was not making full contact with the neck wall .. I was able to see light between the brass and the Mitutoyo. Here's an illustration:

brass-neck-wall-illustration.png

Of the thinnest measured neck thickness measurements the maximum was 0.0159" and minimum 0.0124". The average of these measurements of 50 pieces was 0.0145".

For comparison, I measured some Lapua brass (of a different cartridge) which had been fired 2-3 times and neck sized with a Lee collet neck only die. The necks were consistent in shape (not a surprise really) and I was able to make 4 measurements along the neck cylinder.

I am working towards sacrificing a piece for the AZTEC and I am so far not sure the neck thickness measurements I'm able to make are useful to determine which piece is the best representation of the group.

Will the 300PRC reliably push 225gr ELD-Ms to 2900~2950 out of a 24" tube? Or is it going to just depend on the barrel. Came across the 30 sherman which is the 300 PRC improved essentially and can be fireformed with factory hornady match ammo.
Left and right are 30 sherman, middle is the PRC.
IMG_20190328_194038617.jpg

Also anyone considered a 1-7 twist with the 225gr ELD M? or is that just too fast?
225grELDm.PNG

Already out of stock near me. Thought i could ship it to southaven. Damn i got 5lbs left but magnums eat this crap up.

Will the 300PRC reliably push 225gr ELD-Ms to 2900~2950 out of a 24" tube? Or is it going to just depend on the barrel. Came across the 30 sherman which is the 300 PRC improved essentially and can be fireformed with factory hornady match ammo.
View attachment 7224259

Also anyone considered a 1-7 twist with the 225gr ELD M? or is that just too fast?
View attachment 7224260
i can’t speak to speeds as I don’t own one yet, but if you wanted 50-100 fps over a prc I personally would just do a 30 nosler instead of dealing with fire forming brass and custom dies.

Reactions: TheChief
i can’t speak to speeds as I don’t own one yet, but if you wanted 50-100 fps over a prc I personally would just do a 30 nosler instead of dealing with fire forming brass and custom dies.

I really don't have a valid answer except that i'm a stickler for maximizing efficiency. I also don't mind fire forming or custom dies. Especially since i can fireform with Hornady ammo. I was just looking at the 225gr ELD-M @ 2900 vs my current 7 SS load of the 180gr ELD-M @ 2900 and was pretty shocked to see it on the heels of the 225gr. Guess i could go that route wonder how the long 225~250s would fair with the 30 nosler.

Reactions: TEUFEL820
I really don't have a valid answer except that i'm a stickler for maximizing efficiency. I also don't mind fire forming or custom dies. Especially since i can fireform with Hornady ammo. I was just looking at the 225gr ELD-M @ 2900 vs my current 7 SS load of the 180gr ELD-M @ 2900 and was pretty shocked to see it on the heels of the 225gr. Guess i could go that route wonder how the long 225~250s would fair with the 30 nosler.
i don't think the 30 SM gives up anything to the nosler

I should have a Sherman done soon?! It’s been a year or so in the making just waiting on parts but I think it’s finally close to ready? Running 1-8 so it should be good for the heavys.

View attachment 7224259

View attachment 7224260
I have looked into the 30 Sherman mag. What velocity increase are you finding? 125-150 FPS?

Reactions: TheChief
I have looked into the 30 Sherman mag. What velocity increase are you finding? 125-150 FPS?
I have two each 300 prc one with a 26” 9twist, and one with a 24” 10 twist both shoot 2930+ fps @3000 feet el 54 degree weather. This is horn factory 225 eldm ammo. My load data is 77.3 gr h1k @2850.

Reactions: abn31c
Hopefully mine will be here next week. Been watching this thread all along. Seems to be alot opinions on primers. I have 500 230 Atips and H1000, but no clue where to start with primers. Ahh, the process is about to start again.
?

Reactions: b2lee
On primers...I used the Federal GM210M's... Why?.,..because I had a crap ton of them already...and was more worried about powders and bullets than primers. They shoot great. I haven't seen any need to go to a GM215M Magnum primer at all.

On the 230 A-Tips and H1k.....watch your pressures with that powder/bullet combo....well...if you want to hot rod it like I do...that's why I use N565.

Reactions: Cauld and abn31c
I learned along time ago about pushing for speed. I use to shoot a .257 wm for pdogs.?
I'll bo looking for a load in the 2800 to 2850 fps area.
FWIW win mag primers were the magic for that.
I'm going to grab some 565 and 225 eldm next time I'm in the city.

I don't have one yet. It will be a while. I have a 7 Sherman Short. But i don't see any downsides to the 30 sherman so am kind of set on one.

Reactions: BCX

I would think neck and neck with the 30 nosler here is Rich's thread.

Reactions: wildcats

Reliably at under 65,000psi? Probably not in a 24". If you'd step it up to 28-30" or want to shorten brass/barrel life at your own peril, then 2900-2950 is certainly attainable. My 30" barrel is doing 2940 about a grain under max published load data.

Why would you want to go 7 twist?

1:9 will stabilize a 250gr A-tip. SAAMI spec is a 1:8.5. I don't see any real benefit, and you're just edging closer to the line of spinning bullets apart with a 1:7. Unless you have long copper solids in mind I'd stick 1:8-1:9.

Consider what you're doing with a 7 twist at 2950fps.

2950 ft/s * 12 in/ft / 7 in/rotation * 60 s/min = 303,428 rpm

Riding the danger zone of what a bullet will take.

Reliably at under 65,000psi? Probably not in a 24". If you'd step it up to 28-30" or want to shorten brass/barrel life at your own peril, then 2900-2950 is certainly attainable. My 30" barrel is doing 2940 about a grain under max published load data.

Why would you want to go 7 twist?

1:9 will stabilize a 250gr A-tip. SAAMI spec is a 1:8.5. I don't see any real benefit, and you're just edging closer to the line of spinning bullets apart with a 1:7. Unless you have long copper solids in mind I'd stick 1:8-1:9.

Consider what you're doing with a 7 twist at 2950fps.

2950 ft/s * 12 in/ft / 7 in/rotation * 60 s/min = 303,428 rpm

Riding the danger zone of what a bullet will take.

I saw this pic that said the 225gr ELD-M BC was higher with a 1-7 twist but i honestly knew nothing about that which is why i asked. Thank you for clarifying. I'm pretty set on 30 Sherman at this point. Would probably be pushing just like i am with the 7 SS. Though barrel length is of concern just because i run cans and don't want a javelin. That said could go 26" and grab a resonator K as intended at 5" that's shorter than my 24" 7 SS with the hybrid at the moment.

Probably Hornady published dopler data. CD does decrease (BC increase) with faster spin rates. I just get worried when velocities approach or exceed 3k and twist rates get faster than a 1:8. Seen some failures in smaller caliber stuff and most bullet manufacturers specifically call out the 300k rpm number for thin jacketed match/varmint bullets.

Probably Hornady published dopler data. CD does decrease (BC increase) with faster spin rates. I just get worried when velocities approach or exceed 3k and twist rates get faster than a 1:8. Seen some failures in smaller caliber stuff and most bullet manufacturers specifically call out the 300k rpm number for thin jacketed match/varmint bullets.

Yup i thought i posted that pic in that post. But it was showing various bullets BC at faster twist rates and it got me to thinking.

While I'm here, and for those curious... I lost count of how many rounds exactly I have on my 31" Bartlein. I went back and tallied up (conservatively, I think there could be another 150ish rounds on this from various load dev/testing that I'm leaving out) all the shots and I'm at ~1100 rounds.

I got around to tallying up the round count because the rifle recently started giving me .6-.9 MOA 5-shot groups where it was a .3-.6 MOA ordeal before for 5 shots. My last long-range range trip I was still able to tag the 1650yd torso plate consistently, but struggled out around 2000yd. I've since tried about 50 rounds of playing around to try to tighten things up and haven't made much progress. Just throwing it out there as a data point. I bore scoped the barrel and it looks about like you'd expect for a magnum with 1100 rounds on it. I wasn't very nice to it at all, in terms of rate of fire. I did a lot of 10-15 shot strings that got things pretty hot. Velocity data is still producing 6-10fps SD's, and is maybe 20fps slower than when I originally worked up my loads.

I think because this is purely an ELR rifle I'm going to order up a new pipe and retire this one. It's still very usable within 1500 but not giving the sharp edge I'd like.

Whidden click adjustable FL bushing die and micrometer seater kit ordered for 300 PRC. With a .332 bushing and Berger 215 seater stem. I’ll report back once I have it

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
What bushing size are you guys running? I've been using .334. Maybe I need to check some more neck tension, accuracy has been great with my current load work ups, just curious

Similar speeds and BC
That’s the beauty of the 7mm’s

I’ve definitely had some blow up issues with the ELDM’s in 6.5 and 7mm.
my 7 saum launching 180’s at 2930 with a 1-8 Is blowing up a somewhat disturbing percentage but I keep running them because the ones that make it are kicking ass.

you can literally hear a difference in the ones that don’t make it.

my 7 saum launching 180’s at 2930 with a 1-8 Is blowing up a somewhat disturbing percentage but I keep running them because the ones that make it are kicking ass.
What barrel length are you running for 180gr ELD-M at 2930?

Similar speeds and BC
That’s the beauty of the 7mm’s

you can literally hear a difference in the ones that don’t make it.
Had a ton of 6.5 147 blow up from a 2019 batch in the 6.5 PRC.

I’m going to start out with 230 Berger’s. Slightly less BC than the 225 ELD M. But they kill the hell out of game.

I’m sure I’ve read it somewhere but what velocity and barrel length you reporting?

So, I'm an odd one out here as I'm prepped/fire-formed RWS 8x68S brass. My current load is 71.8 gr of RL26 and it's getting me 2825 fps through a 28" barrel. Note that the RWS is thicker so has a lower volume, which means less powder required. I have pushed these into the upper 2900s without pressure signs, but I'm getting the best accuracy a lot lower.

Hopefully mine will be here next week. Been watching this thread all along. Seems to be alot opinions on primers. I have 500 230 Atips and H1000, but no clue where to start with primers. Ahh, the process is about to start again.
?

Try CCI200’s. They dropped my SD to 6.7-10. Fed210M’s the lowest I could get was 13 for SD. This is out of virgin Hornady brass. Usually once fired brass you might be able to get the SD to drop a smidgin more.

I’ve shot 225 ELD’s and 230SMK out to a 1k yards. Bullets are coming out at 2900fps. 1-9 twist barrel, 5R rifling. Barrel length is 32”. That’s a good working every day load. I’m not stepping on it. Gun pretty much held 1/4moa for vertical and I can easily clean a F class target. Rifle is set up for F Open. The Hornady’s shot about a 1/8 to 1/4moa flatter than the SMK. Bullets where hitting the target right about 1900fps at a 1k yards.

Next powder to try is RL26.

I’ve shot the 230ATIPs but only out to 430 yards so far.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

32" Dang Frank, you got someone to carry that thing around for you? ;) My Bartlein barrel shoots wonderfully.... 28" 1-9tw

Reactions: Frank Green
32" Dang Frank, you got someone to carry that thing around for you? ;) My Bartlein barrel shoots wonderfully.... 28" 1-9tw

I'm probably going to cut 2" off the muzzle end. I don't think the extra 2" is giving me really anymore per say velocity wise but just having hard time pulling it as it shoots so well. It's like...why?

I know for sure the next barrel will only be a 30" finish length.

Here is a pic of the rifle. It weighs just under the 22# limit for F Open. The action is a Barnard Model PL. The barrel has a 1.350" breech diameter x 5" and str. tapers to 1.125" at the muzzle.

Later, Frank

Attachments

• 20180518_112534.jpg
    20180518_112534.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 137
@Frank Green Beautimous....it almost appears that the bolt is made from the same piece of steel as the barrel. Now you are going to have all the lefty shooters on the boards jealous.

Yep it is a lefty!!!!

With a custom bolt handle and knob that we made at work. The handle is patterned after the one my friend John H. use to make for the Barnard's and RPA type actions. He had one left that wasn't finished and gave it to me to use to copy. I have one of his originals on my other one. The factory Barnard handles are aluminum. My handle the shaft is SS (yes made out of gun barrel material) and the knob itself is made out of aluminum that I polished. The handle on the floor is one piece SS.

Later, Frank

Attachments

• 20200124_065408.jpg
    20200124_065408.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 73
Hm @Frank Green I am thinking about doing a 1:8 to be able to launch the 230/250 A-tips... it seems the math shows I wouldn't spin the 225 EDMS/230 Bergers to fast so it should work for all of the above? Just wanted to see what you thought.

Placed an deposit my left action so it's happening... Going to need to order a barrel from you guys soon.

Reactions: Frank Green
I'm probably going to cut 2" off the muzzle end. I don't think the extra 2" is giving me really anymore per say velocity wise but just having hard time pulling it as it shoots so well. It's like...why?

I know for sure the next barrel will only be a 30" finish length.

Here is a pic of the rifle. It weighs just under the 22# limit for F Open. The action is a Barnard Model PL. The barrel has a 1.350" breech diameter x 5" and str. tapers to 1.125" at the muzzle.

Later, Frank
How do you like the Barnard action? Thinking about getting one for a 300 Norma build, also what stock and model is that

Last edited:
Hm @Frank Green I am thinking about doing a 1:8 to be able to launch the 230/250 A-tips... it seems the math shows I wouldn't spin the 225 EDMS/230 Bergers to fast so it should work for all of the above? Just wanted to see what you thought.

Placed an deposit my left action so it's happening... Going to need to order a barrel from you guys soon.

Only reason to faster than a 9 twist is if you want to shoot the250's. Then you need a 1-8.5. I'd lean towards a 1-8.25.

If I remember correctly the SMK need like a 9.26 min. twist or like a 9.52. Can't remember which. Anyways that's why I went 9. They hammer thru my gun. The 225's will fly out of a 10 twist barrel but to me on ragged edge. A little faster on those won't hurt ya either.

How do you like the Barnard action? Thinking about getting one for a 300 Norma build, also what stock and model is that

It's my second Barnard if that tells you anything. It's tough to beat. My first one is a standard Model P. They have excellent triggers that can be used as a two stage or single stage. Mine is set as a two stage and the second stage breaks at 15oz to 1# as close as I can measure. :)

The stock is a Manners F class stock in carbon fiber. (y)