• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

26 inch proof
230 Berger hybrid Target coated with hBN B.C G7 .380
RCC brass 78.2 Gr of H1000
1. 2960
2. 2964
3. 2960
4. 2965
5. 2965
6. 2961
7. 2960
8. 2964
9. 2964
10. 2963
Extreme Spread 5 FPS
1560 yards 16 x 16 steel 9 out 10 hits 3 mph wind.
39F
28.5 inHg
93% Humidity/ raining

Just got 60 pieces of 300PRC and 60 pieces of 375 EnABELR brass. It’ll be a week or so before I get a chance to use the brass. Below is 13 pieces of 375 EnABELR brass weighed on my un-warmed scale.

5E6AACB3-BEFA-4F28-9FED-BC6689F91778.jpeg

Reactions: LakuNoc
20 pieces of RCC brass weighted on my warmed and calibrated Sartorius ENTRIS 124i

FB2C93C3-6EE7-4C90-B06D-62033D8AA4B2.jpeg

That’s interesting, out of 200 pieces of Hornady 300 PRC brass my low weight was 284.x and high was 289.x most were 286-287

As long as internal volume is consistent, weight doesn’t matter. But it is interesting to see that much SD. I never trimmed the brass to the same length so that’s probably a primary reasons for the deviation.

Reactions: rockin randy
A friend has done testing where he weighed and volume checked a LOT of cases and his conclusion was that sorting by weight is very near to the same thing as internal volume. Obviously very dependent on the case, maker, lot, process, whatever... But it makes sense. The external dimensions are almost identical, primer pockets are near identical, extractor groove does not vary by much, and material density variability is negligible within the same lot of cups/cases. So it makes sense then, that by and large the internal volume changing, is directly related to the weight of the finished product. In my weighing of ~200 Hornady cases I think I saw an ES of about 6 grains, and most fell within a 2-3gr range.

Sorting them did nothing that I could see on paper or the lab radar, FWIW.

A friend has done testing where he weighed and volume checked a LOT of cases and his conclusion was that sorting by weight is very near to the same thing as internal volume. Obviously very dependent on the case, maker, lot, process, whatever... But it makes sense. The external dimensions are almost identical, primer pockets are near identical, extractor groove does not vary by much, and material density variability is negligible within the same lot of cups/cases. So it makes sense then, that by and large the internal volume changing, is directly related to the weight of the finished product. In my weighing of ~200 Hornady cases I think I saw an ES of about 6 grains, and most fell within a 2-3gr range.

Sorting them did nothing that I could see on paper or the lab radar, FWIW.

That last part is why some people stopped separating them by weight. They found out that based off the data they recorded, it didn’t make any sense to weight sort. But it makes some people feel better if they do it.

That last part is why some people stopped separating them by weight. They found out that based off the data they recorded, it didn’t make any sense to weight sort. But it makes some people feel better if they do it.

Probably because the delta in volume of a series of cases is negligible next to the volume of the bore as the gas is expanding down it, and velocity is, barring some inefficiencies, pretty directly related to area under the curve on a pressure vs. distance or pressure vs. time graph. In other words, that tiny change in volume is both small, and a small part of the total velocity gain of the bullet.

I don't know it for a fact but I have suspicion that powder energy density/uniformity may play the biggest part of the equation.

Probably because the delta in volume of a series of cases is negligible next to the volume of the bore as the gas is expanding down it, and velocity is, barring some inefficiencies, pretty directly related to area under the curve on a pressure vs. distance or pressure vs. time graph. In other words, that tiny change in volume is both small, and a small part of the total velocity gain of the bullet.

I don't know it for a fact but I have suspicion that powder energy density/uniformity may play the biggest part of the equation.

All that is beyond my knowledge lol. But yes that sounds about right.

Well, yesterday was the 25th....Hoptic stated they would start shipping out the pre-orders of the 300 PRC Quiver. Hopefully mine is in a truck somewhere heading my way. Anyone else order one?..or two?

I just got my shipping notification on my HopticUSA 300PRC Quiver M-Lok - Black...can't wait to paint it ;)

Reactions: TEUFEL820
I see that Federal released some new ammunition called terminal ascent in just about all the popular calibers to include the 6.5 PRC. However, they didn't provide any in the 300 PRC. What are your thoughts? Did anyone see anything else in 300 PRC products at shot show 2020?

Anyone using Cole-Tac Ammo Novels? I'm wondering about the 300 PRC and the concentricity of the neck and bullet if I just throw this thing in my pack for a match:

cole-tac.png

Reactions: One Eyed Hillbilly
I just got confirmation from Wilson today that they will have a 300 PRC seater die "sometime in the spring."

I started using one of these with my 6BRA and new K&M arbor press and it is dead-on accurate round to round. Looking forward to getting one and putting it to use.

Reactions: b2lee
That's good to hear from LE Wilson...I was just looking on their site yesterday for a 300 PRC Seater die.

They told me January a few months ago. If the mess around into q3 I’ll just order a blank and have it cut when my smith cuts my barrel.

Are there any downsides to chambering for the 300 PRC SI (Sherman)?

The only I can think of is more expensive dies. Though maybe not even that if you were going to buy high end 300 prc dies instead of the Hornady dies anyway.

I am also planning on doing a shorter barrel for my 300 PRC, 20-21" Would this negate the benefits of the 300 PRC SI? Just trying to conceptualize the last few pieces for my build before I get moving on it.

Reactions: gnochi
Are there any downsides to chambering for the 300 PRC SI (Sherman)?

The only I can think of is more expensive dies. Though maybe not even that if you were going to buy high end 300 prc dies instead of the Hornady dies anyway.

I am also planning on doing a shorter barrel for my 300 PRC, 20-21" Would this negate the benefits of the 300 PRC SI? Just trying to conceptualize the last few pieces for my build before I get moving on it.
Trying to save weight? 20 is pretty short given case capacity. See pg43 B2Lee.

Trying to save weight? 20 is pretty short given case capacity. See pg43 B2Lee.

I plan on using a proof carbon barrel so weight savings isn’t that dramatic between 24” and 20”. The main reason is to keep OAL manageable using a suppressor.

Allot of really good information on this thread, from some very experienced people. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. From a hunting standpoint. Using a SAMI spec .300 PRC chamber. How much bullet jump to the lands with a hunting bullet in the 180-200g range? With these bullets loaded .010-.030 off the lands, will the loaded cartridge still be able to fit in a CIP magazine? Getting rid of the belt that really serves no purpose from a design standpoint of the .300WM has my attention for my next big game rifle, only if it will still work for the application.

Last edited:
@solocam Do you intend to purchase a new rifle or are you just going to put a new barrel on your 300WM? When talking about a SAAMI spec chamber...you will get a measurement on what a minimum cut chamber can be...and most are a little above that.

You mention 180-200 grains...to me I'd rather be using the 212gr ELD-X or 220 ELD-X or like bullets when hunting with the 300 PRC...anything lighter...just stick with the 300WM if that is what you are used to...unless you like I...hate the belt.

Work for the application? Whatever you hit is going to have its eyes rolled back...tongue hanging out on the trailer...and pissed off tree huggers pointing at your vehicle on the road as you drive back home. In my opinion...it is a bit too much on deer sized game and smaller...even though I'd put a 300PRC through a piggy in a heart beat.....and probably into a sneaky coyote as well.

I keep hoping to get an Elk tag....and if I do...I'll put a 300 PRC into it....and let my buddies pack it out ;)

And yes....anything smaller than my 230gr A-Tips fit just fine in a CIP mag.

[QUOTEAnd yes....anything smaller than my 230gr A-Tips fit just fine in a CIP mag.
[/QUOTE]
I figured that 180-200g pills would fit the magazine, but with how much jump?

@solocam If you are spinning on a new barrel...simply send a dummy round to the smith so he can chamber as much or as little of jump as you would like. I had my initial chambering done to a 225ELD-M with 3 thou jump from a factory round.

I plan on using a proof carbon barrel so weight savings isn’t that dramatic between 24” and 20”. The main reason is to keep OAL manageable using a suppressor.
[/QUO
I run a 26" w/ small can and still have suspicions that I'm not getting a full burn w/ 79.5 H1K + 215 BHT. That's why 20 just seems really short to me. Really interested to see what numbers you get once you build it. Keep us posted.

It is listed on the website but no stock yet.
There is a waitlists for the first batch.
Yeah, I'm on that list....somewhere. Was hoping someone has got an order notification. Then, just shading LakuNoc because I'm jealous of the numbers he's getting but I'm too cheap and lazy to walk his path.

I was playing with Gordon's Reloading tool the other day - N565 77-78 grs and the Hornady 230 A-tip showing a MV of 2700-2750 and 100% powder burn. Not sure if this is accurate or not but if it is that would keep it supersonic to ~1700yds and would carry close to ~1500ftlbs of energy at ~1000yds. Will definitely update with real numbers once I get the rifle built.

@Jlknights61 I did most of the work getting the 230 and 250 A-Tips into the GRT data base. I've trued some data for the N565 and it is really close to what my rifle says it should be. You must have a shorter barrel...because 78gr of N565 will push a 230gr A-Tip at 2954fps or so out of my 28" Bartlein on a 30F day.....I think my barrel is done speeding up...heh...should be plateaued now.

@Jlknights61 I did most of the work getting the 230 and 250 A-Tips into the GRT data base. I've trued some data for the N565 and it is really close to what my rifle says it should be. You must have a shorter barrel...because 78gr of N565 will push a 230gr A-Tip at 2954fps or so out of my 28" Bartlein on a 30F day.....I think my barrel is done speeding up...heh...should be plateaued now.

Yeah I'm looking at a 20" barrel. Which based on your numbers would have me losing 25-32 fps per inch.

Sounds about right. By the way....N565 is only for us Vihtavuori Master Race guys...so don't tell anyone our secrets...heh

lol I actually just bought 8 lbs of reloader 26 when powder valley had it available. I figure if the 300 prc likes it I'll have it and if it doesn't I'm sure I can find something to do with the powdered unobtanium. The real problem will be when it shoots best with 26... and I run out.

SW just had some 26 come in a bit ago. Was lucky enough to find a keg. Haven't worked up anything yet because my H brass is spent for the most part and I don't want to buy another lot and have ADG email the next day. Anxious to get the ADG so I can roll up 230's again with 26 and see if they'll settle in seeing as how I couldn't get them as tight as I think they should be with H1K. Glad I've had other things to work on or I'd be climbing the walls.

Brunos still has a ton of RL26 available. For those who missed powder valleys.

Powder valleys was recent?!? Was on the email list and didn't see it if so. I was going to order Brunos but it's $50 or so after hazmat and shipping. Might as well go buy a 8lb jug of N565 from Grafs at that point.

Powder valleys was recent?!? Was on the email list and didn't see it if so. I was going to order Brunos but it's $50 or so after hazmat and shipping. Might as well go buy a 8lb jug of N565 from Grafs at that point.

Yes just a couple days ago. $186 at PV vs 190 brunos. Think the shipping and haz are 10 more then PV. So ordering a few 8lbs jugs isn't that much difference in the end. I usually order 4 or 5 jugs at a time so the cost difference in minimal per jug.

Brunos still has a ton of RL26 available. For those who missed powder valleys.
Thanks for the tip. I went on Bruno's web site and put 2 lbs in the cart... but shipping was $50 to Alaska...+ $37 for hazmat... to total $150 for 2 lbs.... I almost pulled the trigger but I couldn't make myself do it! Going to have to wait for our local suppliers to get some in stock. Damn...

How far off the lands is working for yall?

I had 225 ELD-M's at .025" off the lands and never had a reason to change things. A-tips I tried a .025" (single feed, COAL @ 2.845ish) and .095 (COAL 2.745, mag tolerant) and didn't see a significant difference. Both ways shot great.

Mile High has some AXMC Win Tac 300 PRC 26" barrels in stock for those looking for a prefit. Also, Tooley has one more I believe. I have a 27" AXMC Prefit coming from Tooley here this week. So two good ready to roll options for the AXMC folks on here looking at the PRC.

Reactions: b2lee