• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I just added a post linking to my new video showing my 300 PRC with my Phoenix/Protektor bipod/bag combo. That's @BFuller in the video with me, and @b2lee gave me some good input.

Am I correct in thinking that the 300 PRC will run about 150 fps slower than the 300 Norma Mag for 230-250 grain bullets when loaded to similar pressures?

Am I correct in thinking that the 300 PRC will run about 150 fps slower than the 300 Norma Mag for 230-250 grain bullets when loaded to similar pressures?

I ran at 2860fps today at about 50F....using a Berger 245gr EOL and the old 28" barrel. This is me babying the brass. I will run them for ELR in the summer at about 2950fps.....if a Norma can shoot precision at 200fps faster than that.....then yes....but I wouldn't bet on it.

I had to make a correction to one of my earlier posts about forming 375 Ruger brass to 300PRC. After our range session today, I talked a friend into buying the last dusty bag of 50ct 375 Ruger brass at Sportsman's Warehouse. I promised to walk him through my process. I did one annealed and one not annealed. The non-annealed piece was just like my earlier attempt. The annealed piece made the neck too soft and it just folded down into the shoulder way too easily. So DO NOT ANNEAL FIRST!!!

The other thing I noticed...last time I did this...I kept moving my die down until I was getting the shoulder bump that I wanted. This time I left my shoulder bump the same as I have for normal reloading....it is a Whidden Click Adjustable Ring that is locked down now that I have exactly what I wanted. After forming the brass...I was still 10 1/2 thou over what I wanted. I ran it threw again and NADA!! So I annealed it after forming and re-sized and the brass was within a half thou of what my current brass is....so SUCCESS!!! He was happy...I was happy...and soon that brass is going to be slinging some 230 A-Tips...which he bought plenty of when the were $71/box at Powder Valley....last year.

We are all waiting on the Lapua brass....but this will hold him over until then.

I had to make a correction to one of my earlier posts about forming 375 Ruger brass to 300PRC. After our range session today, I talked a friend into buying the last dusty bag of 50ct 375 Ruger brass at Sportsman's Warehouse. I promised to walk him through my process. I did one annealed and one not annealed. The non-annealed piece was just like my earlier attempt. The annealed piece made the neck too soft and it just folded down into the shoulder way too easily. So DO NOT ANNEAL FIRST!!!

The other thing I noticed...last time I did this...I kept moving my die down until I was getting the shoulder bump that I wanted. This time I left my shoulder bump the same as I have for normal reloading....it is a Whidden Click Adjustable Ring that is locked down now that I have exactly what I wanted. After forming the brass...I was still 10 1/2 thou over what I wanted. I ran it threw again and NADA!! So I annealed it after forming and re-sized and the brass was within a half thou of what my current brass is....so SUCCESS!!! He was happy...I was happy...and soon that brass is going to be slinging some 230 A-Tips...which he bought plenty of when the were $71/box at Powder Valley....last year.

We are all waiting on the Lapua brass....but this will hold him over until then.
20210122_194255.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: b2lee
I ran at 2860fps today at about 50F....using a Berger 245gr EOL and the old 28" barrel. This is me babying the brass. I will run them for ELR in the summer at about 2950fps.....if a Norma can shoot precision at 200fps faster than that.....then yes....but I wouldn't bet on it.
He said at similar pressures. I’m sure if you load a 300 NM to 70,000 psi it would go even faster 😂

You are really on top of the components becoming available, well done! Hopefully you alert us to reloder 26 and primers in time too!
I post what I find.

I haven't seen RL26 since Everglades had it a couple weeks ago at $330 for 8lbs. I've "seen" primers off and on, but for mere milliseconds, then they are gone.

I post what I find.

I haven't seen RL26 since Everglades had it a couple weeks ago at $330 for 8lbs. I've "seen" primers off and on, but for mere milliseconds, then they are gone.

I've gotten primers ordered through Brownells only to have it cancelled hours later. Makes you wonder if they have them at all. If I see a discord notification at Midsouth I generally can get powder within a minute but I have yet to see primers drop there.

Brownells had primers listed a month ago, in stock, out of stock, back in again, then out, rinse and repeat. I ordered 50,000 for our shooting club, but it got cancelled a few hours later.

So I am getting the SAAMI spec'd 300PRC chamber. It's 9 twist proof stainless barrel that will finish at 28" long. Does anyone recommend any added freebore? I'm probably going to run 230gr bullets and possibly the berger 245gr. I'm going to start with what I have ,which are 220gr ELDX and scenars.

So I am getting the SAAMI spec'd 300PRC chamber. It's 9 twist proof stainless barrel that will finish at 28" long. Does anyone recommend any added freebore? I'm probably going to run 230gr bullets and possibly the berger 245gr. I'm going to start with what I have ,which are 220gr ELDX and scenars.

Where are you getting this chamber?....if from a gunsmith...just load up a few rounds...and send them to the gunsmith and let them chamber based off the round that you will be shooting.

Where are you getting this chamber?....if from a gunsmith...just load up a few rounds...and send them to the gunsmith and let them chamber based off the round that you will be shooting.
Will be my first 300PRC so I was not going to do anything besides the standard chamber, but am now second guessing my decision. @b2lee do you run any additional freebore? I don't remember a lot of discussion in this thread about additional freebore. Unless I missed something and need to read through it again.

Will be my first 300PRC so I was not going to do anything besides the standard chamber, but am now second guessing my decision. @b2lee do you run any additional freebore? I don't remember a lot of discussion in this thread about additional freebore. Unless I missed something and need to read through it again.

Originally...back in the day...we really only had the option of the ELD-x...and the 225gr ELD-M. I sent a box of ELD-M to my gunsmith and said I want it chambered to this. Later, as the 230's and 250 A-Tips came out...I experimented with them and it still shot fine with them. No additional freebore...which the 300PRC by design has a ton of. Now I've moved on to the 245 EOL's and I've shot them at all kinds of crazy lengths...from magazine feedable to long. My new barrel was chambered exactly the same and is shooting exactly with the same greatness.

So...quit thinking like a 300WM owner that has to go outside the specs to get something to work. Simply shoot your 300PRC and enjoy. :)

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Originally...back in the day...we really only had the option of the ELD-x...and the 225gr ELD-M. I sent a box of ELD-M to my gunsmith and said I want it chambered to this. Later, as the 230's and 250 A-Tips came out...I experimented with them and it still shot fine with them. No additional freebore...which the 300PRC by design has a ton of. Now I've moved on to the 245 EOL's and I've shot them at all kinds of crazy lengths...from magazine feedable to long. My new barrel was chambered exactly the same and is shooting exactly with the same greatness.

So...quit thinking like a 300WM owner that has to go outside the specs to get something to work. Simply shoot your 300PRC and enjoy. :)
300 WM...whats that again???

Well said. Lol. I am running a 300WM with alot of freebore. I will leave the 300PRC alone.

Bruno’s SS has a couple Wilson FL sizing bushing dies in stock.
Thanks, I scored one of the dies this morning.

I missed posting the LRPs and SRMPs at Powder Valley last night, was dealing with having to have a pet put down. It takes a lot out of you when you have to say goodbye to a companion of 18 years.

Now, back to normal programming.

Reactions: drummachinejoe
Thanks, I scored one of the dies this morning.

I missed posting the LRPs and SRMPs at Powder Valley last night, was dealing with having to have a pet put down. It takes a lot out of you when you have to say goodbye to a companion of 18 years.

Now, back to normal programming.
No problem. I got one with a couple bushings.
Now need to find my Forster Ultra Mic seater.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dang! No way. I was on their site briefly and was subscribed to email alerts. Didn’t check primers last night though
Did they sell out fast?

No problem. I got one with a couple bushings.
Now need to find my Forster Ultra Mic seater.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dang! No way. I was on their site briefly and was subscribed to email alerts. Didn’t check primers last night though
Did they sell out fast?
You'll never even get the notification. You need to be on a bot channel to have a chance, and even then, you have 10,000 people trying to hit the site's servers at the same time - mayhem ensues.

• Sad
Reactions: b2lee and JBarton
I bought a L.E. Wilson to add to the Whidden, Lee, Redding and RCBS ones I have.
Nice. Do you have of the Redding, Whidden, and Forster Micrometer dies in any calibers. If so which do you like best. Trying to keep my options open if something comes in stock but only have Forster on my bench for rifles so far.

I’m sure the Wilson micrometer is nice but I’m not looking to get into an Arbor press setup.

Nice. Do you have of the Redding, Whidden, and Forster Micrometer dies in any calibers. If so which do you like best. Trying to keep my options open if something comes in stock but only have Forster on my bench for rifles so far.

I’m sure the Wilson micrometer is nice but I’m not looking to get into an Arbor press setup.
I use a L.E. Wilson micrometer seater in my arbor press. I use Whidden and Redding in my Co-Ax and T-7. Each is good, but I tend to lean towards the Redding. The other Wilson I just bought is for the Co-Ax or T-7.

I use a L.E. Wilson micrometer seater in my arbor press. I use Whidden and Redding in my Co-Ax and T-7. Each is good, but I tend to lean towards the Redding. The other Wilson I just bought is for the Co-Ax or T-7.
Is the Whidden seater stem picky (give concentricity issues) at for VLD bullets in 300 PRC? Would I need another stem other than the stock one.

Planning to use ELD-M 208’s & 225’s & ELD-X 200-220’s

Is the Whidden seater stem picky (give concentricity issues) at for VLD bullets in 300 PRC? Would I need another stem other than the stock one.

There are far more experienced reloaders in this thread than me. I've only loaded a few 300 PRCs, but had no issues loading the 220 Bergers or 225 Hornadys. Similarly, I've had no issues loading ELD-Ms, Bergers or Lapua Scenars in .264.

Planning to use ELD-M 208’s &

Using hornady dies on my 300WM loading 220gr ELDX and scenars I was having concentricity issues and the standard seating stem was leaving a ring on my bullets. I switched to the 225gr ELDM seating stem and no longer have any problems. I haven't loaded any rounds for 300PRC yet but hopefully we be within the next few weeks. I plan on using the seating stem for the 225gr ELDM for starters.

Do the 30 cals also require a faster twist barrel, akin to the 6.5s?
Without question, you should be looking at a stability calculator. but the 220 Lazers require at least an 8 twist. 8.5 twist would be on the edge of poor stability.

Reactions: Defender3
Brownell's finally shipped my LE Wilson 300PRC bushing die today....just trying something different.

You'll never even get the notification. You need to be on a bot channel to have a chance, and even then, you have 10,000 people trying to hit the site's servers at the same time - mayhem ensues.
What are these bot channels you speak of?

What are these bot channels you speak of?
I have installed Discord (app) on my phone that people can report when they find specific gun or ammo components. You can follow specific items, like large rifle primers and get a notification if someone reports they have found some.

Ordered 1k Fed 215 primers 2 weeks ago after getting a notification.

Here’s the link to the server:

Reactions: BFuller
I have installed Discord (app) on my phone that people can report when they find specific gun or ammo components. You can follow specific items, like large rifle primers and get a notification if someone reports they have found some.

Ordered 1k Fed 215 primers 2 weeks ago after getting a notification.

Here’s the link to the server:

If only I didn't work where I can't have my phone all day! I will still use it though, might get lucky.

Reactions: fmillik
Brownell's finally shipped my LE Wilson 300PRC bushing die today....just trying something different.
Awesome die, I have been using them since day one with the 300 PRC with great consistent results.

Got my new build out to the range for the first time today. Between zeroing the scope, breaking in the barrel, running a max charge test, and figuring out the new tripod setup I had my work cut out for me. Initial impressions are that this rifle will be a shooter. All ten rounds of the charge test were sub-moa and most of them key holed.

Here’s a question for you all though... as far as rifle goes I’ve only ever loaded for 308 before this one. Between a piece of virgin Hornady brass and a piece of brass near my max charge there was absolutely zero increase of headspace. There was also no change when measuring the diameter at the web between cases. The diameter just at the shoulder/body junction did increase by .003” but other than the case mouth that was the only observable change in brass dimension.

How should I resize the brass? I don’t want to bump the shoulder if it is already a perfect fit. Should I just run in up the die as far as I can without moving the shoulder at all?

Attachments

• 09CB17ED-E1CF-4AC4-B916-0CD762C6D123.jpeg
    09CB17ED-E1CF-4AC4-B916-0CD762C6D123.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 71

Got my new build out to the range for the first time today. Between zeroing the scope, breaking in the barrel, running a max charge test, and figuring out the new tripod setup I had my work cut out for me. Initial impressions are that this rifle will be a shooter. All ten rounds of the charge test were sub-moa and most of them key holed.

Here’s a question for you all though... as far as rifle goes I’ve only ever loaded for 308 before this one. Between a piece of virgin Hornady brass and a piece of brass near my max charge there was absolutely zero increase of headspace. There was also no change when measuring the diameter at the web between cases. The diameter just at the shoulder/body junction did increase by .003” but other than the case mouth that was the only observable change in brass dimension.

How should I resize the brass? I don’t want to bump the shoulder if it is already a perfect fit. Should I just run in up the die as far as I can without moving the shoulder at all?

What bullet and charge?

A .002 shoulder bump in a FL sizing doesn't hurt that "perfect fit" ... it's cheap insurance against a wasted range visit with a box full or reloads that won't seat in the chamber. That's my experience, anyway.

What bullet and charge?

220 ELD-X with 76.2 gr of R-25 (can’t get my hands on any 26)

This was the listed max charge. I’m still trying to figure out how this gun/brass/primer combo is going to show pressure. No charges resulted in a sticky bolt. I’m using #34 primers since again, that’s the only magnum primers I can get but they have a harder cup, which probably isn’t going to flatten or crater easily. The action is a bighorn origin and the ejector groove is different than the standard round cut out. I started seeing the faintest signs of it around 74.9 grains which is way before I should be maxing out. Even at 76.2 grains I was only getting 2809 MV on my 24” barrel. Hornady data was off a 24” barrel too and they list 2850 for that charge. There was more neck tension than I would have liked but my expander doesn’t push it out enough to get it where I like it so firing will be the only way. Bullets were seated at the lands for the initial charged test.

A .002 shoulder bump in a FL sizing doesn't hurt that "perfect fit" ... it's cheap insurance against a wasted range visit with a box full or reloads that won't seat in the chamber. That's my experience, anyway.

I’ve always understood (mostly based on rants by Erik cortina and respected BR shooters some of you probably know), that diametric fit of the brass doesn’t matter at all as long as the shoulder and head are in just slight contact with the chamber/bolt face. If I bump it back .002 from where it’s at is there really any advantage to reloading anymore? Hell in this case, even the virgin Hornady brass would be a better fit for my chamber. I’ve always sought to have my brass set to cause just the slightest sign of resistance when dropping the bolt handle (firing pin/spring assembly removed). Not sure what I’m going to do in this case though with the brass not wanting to grow at all. I guess I should probably get back to the reloading branch and see how the fired brass chambers up again.

I’ve always understood (mostly based on rants by Erik cortina and respected BR shooters some of you probably know), that diametric fit of the brass doesn’t matter at all as long as the shoulder and head are in just slight contact with the chamber/bolt face. If I bump it back .002 from where it’s at is there really any advantage to reloading anymore? Hell in this case, even the virgin Hornady brass would be a better fit for my chamber. I’ve always sought to have my brass set to cause just the slightest sign of resistance when dropping the bolt handle (firing pin/spring assembly removed). Not sure what I’m going to do in this case though with the brass not wanting to grow at all. I guess I should probably get back to the reloading branch and see how the fired brass chambers up again.
How much resizing is always going to be a balance between the desire for the most consistent alignment round-to-round of cartridge to chamber and the desire to ensure reliable chambering and extraction.

Additionally, it depends on how you are using the system and where. I.E. Will everything always be perfectly clean and how detrimental would failure to chamber or extract be for how you are using the system.

After considering those areas, and testing your approach proceed according to your needs.

A side note, there are certainly other reasons to load than having brass that fits "perfectly" in your chamber. Such as neck tension control/consistency, charge weight control/consistency, bullet seating depth control/consistency to name a few.

Reactions: dwent