• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I heard a few lot of people talk about atips blowing up at the NF ELR Match this past weekend. Apparently it was a thing at last year's match.

I ran 230atips at 2850 successfully all the way out to 1,810yds at this years match. I love the way they shoots there

With ramshot magnum and lrt, I've shot them at 1,100 during load development without issue, but not a fan of the recoil impulse from them speeds were 2925 and 3000, respectively.

If you already have atips I'd say go with the 2,900 to be on the safe side.

I heard a few lot of people talk about atips blowing up at the NF ELR Match this past weekend. Apparently it was a thing at last year's match.

I ran 230atips at 2850 successfully all the way out to 1,810yds at this years match. I love the way they shoots there

With ramshot magnum and lrt, I've shot them at 1,100 during load development without issue, but not a fan of the recoil impulse from them speeds were 2925 and 3000, respectively.

I already won a local comp with the 230 atips at 2900 last month. Probably going to stick with that.

I am trying to qualify alternate bullets such as the 208/220 LRHT. I have not shot the 208s at range yet. In addition, I am running some tests on N565 and N568 powder. Will provide the results soon.

My stock of RL26 is running out and I am not going to pay $1k for a 8lb jug. Looking for alternate powder.

I already won a local comp with the 230 atips at 2900 last month. Probably going to stick with that.

I am trying to qualify alternate bullets such as the 208/220 LRHT. I have not shot the 208s at range yet. In addition, I am running some tests on N565 and N568 powder. Will provide the results soon.

My stock of RL26 is running out and I am not going to pay $1k for a 8lb jug. Looking for alternate powder.
Gotcha,

I misread your original post. I thought you were comparing two different atip speeds and loads.

If you are going to push the 208s that's probably a good place to be maybe even a little faster if you can without pressure.

If for some reason, my cousin can't make it to next year's NF ELR Match, I'm going to be putting in an order for PVAs 198 solids and plan to push them as close to 3,100 as I can. Their BC is comparable to the 230 atips.

Gotcha,

I misread your original post. I thought you were comparing two different atip speeds and loads.

If you are going to push the 208s that's probably a good place to be maybe even a little faster if you can without pressure.

If for some reason, my cousin can't make it to next year's NF ELR Match, I'm going to be putting in an order for PVAs 198 solids and plan to push them as close to 3,100 as I can. Their BC is comparable to the 230 atips.
i'll be there if you need a teammate

i'll just be pushing a wee bit more BC and speed

i'll be there if you need a teammate

i'll just be pushing a wee bit more BC and speed
... that would he fricking awesome. And I wanna see that behemoth of a 30 Sherman. I'm game. I'll just have to smooth it over with my cousin, but I'm sure he'll be cool. We got time.

Anyone besides bartlein you know doing gain twists these days? I considered the 212s but in the 1:8 it's marginal so I was thinking an 8.25 to 7.5 would be a nice ticket.

Reactions: b6graham
In reference to SDeadeye trimmer ?
I am switching all my rifle trimmers to WFTs. I bought a 300 PRC trimmer and they sent a winmag trimmer instead. I sent it back and they sent the correct one and I trimmed 1 case with it so far to confirm it works (it does). I have used WFT trimmers on 6ARC, 6.5CM before and they do very well once you have them setup. Keep in mind they measure off the shoulder not the base of the case or the primer hole like some other tirmmers (make sure you run the brass with same setback).

I ran the 300 PRC with 250 a-tips around 2724 at the NF ELR as well. Here's the AB output. I had to reduce the velocity to 2724 after the first four stages. Once I adjusted waterline was good. I'd removed the first shot velocity and recalculated. That was a clean barrel. We had a few folks' that looked like that and it was due to a clean barrel. This is 76.5 grains N570.

Incidentally, I ran this load over my Oehler 89 back in September and had much better BC SD and a higher BC. Something definitely changed. I was shooting 1.5" groups at sight-in when it had been .6" last fall.

Attachments

• 250atipAB.jpg
    250atipAB.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: Killer Deal

I've run the 230 ATips up to ~3070 FPS with a 30" 1:9 Bartlein and had SDs in the 3-8 range and great performance. I have not seen any evidence of them blowing up while behind the gun or spotting and do see most hit or splash. I guess it's possible that some I have not seen splash from are blowing up but all have been shot in the mile to 1.5 mile range and I expect to lose one every now and then at that range. Not sure if a projectile blowing up is readily visible.

Reactions: Killer Deal
I've run the 230 ATips up to ~3070 FPS with a 30" 1:9 Bartlein and had SDs in the 3-8 range and great performance. I have not seen any evidence of them blowing up while behind the gun or spotting and do see most hit or splash. I guess it's possible that some I have not seen splash from are blowing up but all have been shot in the mile to 1.5 mile range and I expect to lose one every now and then at that range. Not sure if a projectile blowing up is readily visible.
it's very visible. i've seen it with 88s and 147s through the scope

granted that's inside 1k where you can watch trace

i've been off glass and seen it happen inside 100y with 88s and a 22CM. very visible puff

I have shot 1000s of Atips in various calibers and have never seen one blow up. However, I have had 147gr ELDs blowup on me.

That's nice to hear. I didn't experience it myself either. I did have some nice target sparks with the aluminum tips. I did have one go poof on a stage, allegedly that a spotter saw, but I didn't catch it myself so it's hard for me to say but that's the only time someone mentioned it. And I can only think of a small handful of shots that I wasn't able to spot. Usually because it skimmed over the top of the target.

I really like the way it shoots 230s at 2850 so I'll probably stick with that unless I go down in weight class for next year then I'll definitely up the speed into the 3k area.

I highly rx 7828ssc if you're out of h1000, retumbo, N5XX and RL __. Have to run it at or over max to get to 2850, but again only light ejector marks. Good spreads, it highlights one of Litz more recent articles about case fill relationship to SDs/ESs.

Reactions: TripleBull
I ran the 300 PRC with 250 a-tips around 2724 at the NF ELR as well. Here's the AB output. I had to reduce the velocity to 2724 after the first four stages. Once I adjusted waterline was good. I'd removed the first shot velocity and recalculated. That was a clean barrel. We had a few folks' that looked like that and it was due to a clean barrel. This is 76.5 grains N570.

Incidentally, I ran this load over my Oehler 89 back in September and had much better BC SD and a higher BC. Something definitely changed. I was shooting 1.5" groups at sight-in when it had been .6" last fall.
That 250 a-tip bc is all over the place I'm pretty shocked at those numbers.

Reactions: BCX and parshal
For the atips I would of expected 1% not 2%. It would be cool to see if the bergers are in the 1% or less as they claim. Either way @parshal still Held it down and shot really well overall at the match with his set up.
i wish thy'd upload all PDMs somwhere

granted he shot a 9 twist but the BC was much lower than advertised and would have questionable stability at sea level

granted he shot a 9 twist but the BC was much lower than advertised and would have questionable stability at sea level
Fair points, makes sense I ran the 230s in an 1:8 and when I trued up my BC I went up to .425 from .414 to get it to line up and there were a few stages at 1400 and beyond I was still a couple tenths over the top of the targets.

I haven't figured out if it was a rear bag issue for me or maybe something in my data, but it was pretty consistent. So it could be better but not 100% sure.

The PDM's are available in LiNK Ballistics and AB Mobile. Don't know if is required for a 5700 Elite to have connected to the app to unlock that though.

Having access to the full report that the printouts show would be cool though.

The PDM's are available in LiNK Ballistics and AB Mobile. Don't know if is required for a 5700 Elite to have connected to the app to unlock that though.

Having access to the full report that the printouts show would be cool though.
i know that. i mean like be able to see all PDM printouts and see how different bullets perform over an average

Anyone have a PDM printout of Berger 220?

What's interesting is the 215 Berger has less variation than the 190 LRHT, which was designed to minimize BC variation. Obviously a very small sample size but still noteworthy.

Reactions: BCX
You have to remember that each gun shoots each bullet differently. It may have an SD of .8 in one gun a 1.3 in the next gun.

I'd love to see all the data gathered at each match for each bullet. I'd really like to see how many guns each bullet was run in and which was the most consistent across all those guns.

That would be an interesting collection of data for sure. Would love to see velocity, twist and bc variation compared across the board.

Sorry for derailing the thread maybe we can move the talk of the bullets to the elr thread? Very interesting and great info for people......

I started a thread where we can move the talk about the bullets too if you guys want. It's in the ELR can transfer info ect

Maybe change the title to post your PDM?

Reactions: Schw15
723D2D61-F372-483B-B8BC-07C85E12AD68.jpeg
Silly question for folks…. I have a Bergara 26” HMR and I’m developing a few hand loads for it. I normally use my magnetospeed Sporter w my 6.5 cm and I’m trying the same here. My issue however is that I’m running a Area 419 muzzle brake and the damn think doesn’t align properly from the barrel mounted position. I’ve seen folks w suppressors mount from there but never from a brake….. anyone experience w this before I go and ruin my magnetospeed? (I’ve also heard that the V3 is longer so I may go that route too…). Pic to show what I’m thinking:

Your strap shouldn’t be on the muzzle brake! Strap it behind your brake and use the spacers to reach the correct height.

If you shoot it the way it’s attached, it will get destroyed..

Reactions: waveslayer
Your strap shouldn’t be on the muzzle brake! Strap it behind your brake and use the spacers to reach the correct height.

If you shoot it the way it’s attached, it will get destroyed..
Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear. I know that it shouldn’t be on the brake (at least around or on the vents) the issue that I’m facing is that the sporters bayonet is not long enough to clear the brake if it’s on the barrel. The bayonet will touch the brake if it is and wont give readings.

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear. I know that it shouldn’t be on the brake (at least around or on the vents) the issue that I’m facing is that the sporters bayonet is not long enough to clear the brake if it’s on the barrel. The bayonet will touch the brake if it is and wont give readings.
i've had that issue before with a hellfire match/sidewinder and the sporter bayonet touched the front of the brake. tighted the fuck out of it and it worked for me

i've had that issue before with a hellfire match/sidewinder and the sporter bayonet touched the front of the brake. tighted the fuck out of it and it worked for me

I’ve tried this in almost every possible configuration and permutation…. Only to get all imaginable form of error and wasted a lot of match grade ammo (not cheap). Either way I’m kind of thinking I just need to bite the bullet so to speak and get the v3.

I’ve tried this in almost every possible configuration and permutation…. Only to get all imaginable form of error and wasted a lot of match grade ammo (not cheap). Either way I’m kind of thinking I just need to bite the bullet so to speak and get the v3.
If you're going to bite the bullet then bite it hard and just get a Labradar. You won't be disappointed.

I haven’t seen one in stock anywhere! They were also going for way over msrp last I checked used…. Got any leads?!
Damn I'm seeing that now. I would say go used but it looks like they are going for double the normal price across the board.