• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

About a week or so of on and off reading every page of this thread. I definitely appreciate the volumes of information shared by so many people. I have since purchased an Impact 787 action to match my 737. Ordered a 1-9 29” barrel from bugholes. Greg was a pleasure to talk to, and a wealth of information. Still un decided on stock or chassis. I will run the same trigger and bipod as my 737, as well as vortex gen3 glass to keep it all consistent. This will be my first long action, and I’m anxious to shoot longer ranges than I’m used to.

@b2lee spent my money

I'm having a new action/barrel spun up. Bartein 9tw, 28" (My first PRC was built as a light hunting rig)
Going to use Lapua brass, 215M, 230 A-Tips After going through this thread I see V565 fairly popular with this combo.
What I'm looking for is some real world data using V568. Anyone using it, have any data?

I'm having a new action/barrel spun up. Bartein 9tw, 28" (My first PRC was built as a light hunting rig)
Going to use Lapua brass, 215M, 230 A-Tips After going through this thread I see V565 fairly popular with this combo.
What I'm looking for is some real world data using V568. Anyone using it, have any data?

Some here:

I'm working up another batch of N568 and N570 ammo, but probably will not get out to shoot it for a few weeks. N565 has worked great in my rifle, which has a 30" 1:9 Bartlein, and I assume I'll get a few more FPS out of N568 and N570.

I've had great luck with RL33 out of 28" and 32" barrels. I'm running 230gr up to 245gr EOL's with awesome results. The RL33 did not fare as well out of a shorter barrel length (26") my extreme spreads were high.

Retumbo sucks donkey in 300PRC
I was wondering when you'd show up. Figured you would have all kinds of data for 568 by now.
Btw, I was at TVP team match this summer when your rifle went fubar. I was nearby when you were checking zero, your brake is fkng
obnoxious ! Get a can man :ROFLMAO:

I was wondering when you'd show up. Figured you would have all kinds of data for 568 by now.
Btw, I was at TVP team match this summer when your rifle went fubar. I was nearby when you were checking zero, your brake is fkng
obnoxious ! Get a can man :ROFLMAO:
yea...brake is loud...but man it doesn't really kick at 25lbs. Funny thing is...I can't even remember a team match this year...heh. I'm sure I shot 1 or two or 3....

Most people should be running 334 with the Lapua brass...I run 332...guess why?...lol
Neck turned brass
Have you played with 568? In my 32" barrel it's by far the most consistent.

yea...neck turning....and yes I've played with 568....it can be a back up for my RL-26...still believe it is the best option for my barrel, my bullet, my brass.

Effective range range of 300 prc

Hunting?
Target?

Hunting....much farther than what I deem an ethical shot....1400yds..I'm not taking that shot.
Target....I start having issues after 2250yds or so. I've hit at 2500 on a 36x36...but playing the wind that far is just luck.

Hunting....much farther than what I deem an ethical shot....1400yds..I'm not taking that shot.
Target....I start having issues after 2250yds or so. I've hit at 2500 on a 36x36...but playing the wind that far is just luck.
I am focusing more on percent of target hits at distance. That’s mainly what I was referring to effective range.

I am thinking about a big 30 cal for mainly target and some rare hunting occasions.

Effective range range of 300 prc

Hunting?
Target?

It's all about the conditions and other details. I favor use of traditional hunting skills and strategies and would prefer to take shots at under 400 yards in general. But, if I was hungry and an elk was at 1000 yards in easy conditions, I'd probably take the shot.

I ran out of scope elevation at 2640 yards and have not yet purchased a prism or periscope. At 2640, we had excellent performance, but conditions were as easy as I've ever seen when shooting ELR in northern Colorado. Winds were running 0-5 for hours. My handloads that day were ultra consistent. It took a few shots to get on target, then we spanked it about 50% of the time. 30" round. Our last 3 shots were hits. In one string, my son hit 4 of 5.

If we had typical northern Colorado conditions, we probably would have been much closer to zero hits. Where we shoot, it's not unusual to have highly variable 10-40 mph winds out of the NW, with occasional blasts out of the east or south. We once tried to shoot in 80 mph winds there, just to see how it would go. I had steel targets blow off the hanger. Running antelope were leaning hard into the wind and tacking like a ship in a storm. Good fun.

Reactions: camotoe and b2lee
Greeting All and Happy New Year!
As I am continuing to chip away on this build... I wanted your thoughts.

Bartlein Carbon Fiber or 400MODBB?

Are you using it as a hunting rifle? If yes, consider carbon for weight. If no, ModBB.

Many thanks!
Long range target work only. Not competition per say.

There is no reason to put it on a target rifle. It only gives you a weight savings, and I've found carbon to be harder to load develop for. It just gets a little wonky sometimes.

EDIT: "It" being a carbon barrel

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe~ and JBarton
I recently implemented a new 30" 400MODBB bbl with a 1/2" GT and have 500 rounds of 250 A-Tips through it.
Chamber has eroded .001"(if even that)(3.850"), which was my hope in decision making. Avg. MV:2850
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jefe~
There is no reason to put it on a target rifle. It only gives you a weight savings, and I've found carbon to be harder to load develop for. It just gets a little wonky sometimes.
I agree 100%. I have a carbon barrel on my hunting rifle and have played hell getting it to group. It is not predictable like a steel barrel. That and the recoil is significantly higher. Unless it's for hunting I will stick with a steel barrel.

have played hell getting it to group.

Because my smith knows my experience with load developing for the 300 PRC, he called upon me when one of his customers had a hunting rifle built with a carbon barrel and couldn't get it to group. We're talking like 2" at 100 yards. I did one trip with the customer to the range and was trying to work through things when he said something to the effect of, "it's got to be the barrel, I'm going swap it out for a Bartlein."

A few months later, he called me and told me this new barrel wouldn't group either. We did a little work and found that Berger hybrids worked better than the Hornady ELDs he was using, but still took a lot of fiddling. He eventually got it to a sub-MOA rifle, which is fine for hunting. It took a lot of work, though.

He has an identical rifle with a steel barrel that shoots basically the same as my 300 PRC - as it should - same smith, same stock, nearly the same barrel, similar action. It was just the carbon one he had issues with.

Only reason to go Carbon is to save weight....and weight is our friend when we play in the long range game. Longest barrel you can deal with.... straight taper would be optimal...25lbs or better...and make that thing sing.

Because my smith knows my experience with load developing for the 300 PRC, he called upon me when one of his customers had a hunting rifle built with a carbon barrel and couldn't get it to group. We're talking like 2" at 100 yards. I did one trip with the customer to the range and was trying to work through things when he said something to the effect of, "it's got to be the barrel, I'm going swap it out for a Bartlein."

A few months later, he called me and told me this new barrel wouldn't group either. We did a little work and found that Berger hybrids worked better than the Hornady ELDs he was using, but still took a lot of fiddling. He eventually got it to a sub-MOA rifle, which is fine for hunting. It took a lot of work, though.

He has an identical rifle with a steel barrel that shoots basically the same as my 300 PRC - as it should - same smith, same stock, nearly the same barrel, similar action. It was just the carbon one he had issues with.
The carbon wrapped barrel I have shoots well but damn was it hard to dial in. It wants to wander when it heats up. If I let it cool and do only cold bore shots it is money. If I try to do a 5 round string it's barely sub moa. Being a hunting rifle that works. I'm running a 32" SS 8 twist comp contour on my ELR rifle. It hammers.

I know it sounds dumb but has anyone shot a 22” with 205’s or 215’s with good speed? I was considering building one this short hunting suppressed.

I know it sounds dumb but has anyone shot a 22” with 205’s or 215’s with good speed? I was considering building one this short hunting suppressed.

Yep almost, 22.5" 300 PRC barrel is one of the ones I use with my Desert Tech. Shoot it suppressed, targets and hunting. Here's a sample of one load I use; Hornady 212 ELDX at 2,800fps using Retumbo. Also shoot Berger 210 VLD's and 215 HYB. All shoot well but I prefer the 210's and 212'.

Reactions: STLSteve86
Parts are showing up. Impact action is at bugholes. Barrel is in the que. 225’s and lapua brass has arrived as well as my stock. the barreled action can’t come soon enough.

Reactions: 300PRC and Schw15
Hello all. Has anyone done any testing with the new StaBall HD yet? I ordered a few pounds out of curiosity.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone messed with the Savage 110 Elite Precision in 300 PRC? I see a lot of discussions about the Bergara and the RPR but not much on the 300 PRC Savage.

My 300 PRC got some new toys - @b2lee I got a new ABR bracket fabricated for my Manners stock and bought another ABR. Down below is a new custom Protektor bag that's lower to accommodate the ABR under the stock.

And, oh yeah, that's a new ZCO 5-27 with the MPCT-1 reticle up top - drove up to Sacramento yesterday to pick it up from @CSTactical. Great to meet them in person (and learn they can cut barrels for me too!)

1675974948142.png

My 300 PRC got some new toys - @b2lee I got a new ABR bracket fabricated for my Manners stock and bought another ABR. Down below is a new custom Protektor bag that's lower to accommodate the ABR under the stock.

And, oh yeah, that's a new ZCO 5-27 with the MPCT-1 reticle up top - drove up to Sacramento yesterday to pick it up from @CSTactical. Great to meet them in person (and learn they can cut barrels for me too!)

View attachment 8071204

thumbs-up-fantastic.gif

Reactions: J Industries
What is the longest you are loading your .300 PRC to? I see .300 PRC overall length is 3.7" but with what projectile?
I'm just trying to get a feel for when I smoke another .300WM barrel if re-barreling is an option.