• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Question "A" is a for sure, No. Not with a hand press. Web area on those cases is probably .080" thick give or take, and not like a neck, which gets 1 or 2 more annealing cycles in the manufacturing process. Bigger diameter, thicker, harder. You'll probably break the handle on your press, and if you don't you'll for sure kill the rim when you try to pull it out of the die.

Looking for Proof research Carbon Fiber Barrel. Chambered in 300 PRC savage small shank for Mausingfield action. 5/8x24 thread for brake, not sure if anywhere in stock?
Thank You

Question "A" is a for sure, No. Not with a hand press. Web area on those cases is probably .080" thick give or take, and not like a neck, which gets 1 or 2 more annealing cycles in the manufacturing process. Bigger diameter, thicker, harder. You'll probably break the handle on your press, and if you don't you'll for sure kill the rim when you try to pull it out of the die.

Wholeheartedly agree - and no need with 8x68S being a good match anyway.

Looking for Proof research Carbon Fiber Barrel. Chambered in 300 PRC savage small shank for Mausingfield action. 5/8x24 thread for brake, not sure if anywhere in stock?
Thank You
Call Paul Butler @ Evolved Ballistics - 210-872-7790. They're running a 10% off proof barrels this weekend. I've bought the barrel you're looking for (also for my Mausingfield) as well as a Proof AXMC steel prefit from him, prices & service are great. It's likely not in stock anywhere and will take up to 2 months to arrive.

Last edited:
Alternative Brass? Either I've been under a rock or simply missed this: https://www.rokslide.com/battle-of-the-30-cals/

Agreed that more options will be excellent.

I’m boggled that the author wasn’t able to get decent groups with anything with the 300PRC though, including the 225 ELD-M, especially with a Proof blank. Bad chambering job, perhaps?

Reactions: waveslayer
Alternative Brass? Either I've been under a rock or simply missed this: https://www.rokslide.com/battle-of-the-30-cals/ and let me quote:

I've never used Bertram Brass....but I'm highly interested in more players coming to the 300 PRC brass market.
Don't waste your time or money, Bertram brass is tough and that's the only thing it has going for it.
I've used it in my SAUM and it's the most inconsistent brass I've ever used.
Internal capacity variation was terrible, neck thickness varied on every case, and the flash holes were super jagged and in some cases almost completely blocked

it would be nice if LAPUA would consider 300 PRC for brass.

Give it a few years.. I'm betting they'll pick it up

I’m finished with load development on my 300 PRC with 9 twist, 26” 3B bartlein

Two loads
78 H1000, 215 primer, 215 hybrid at .030 shoots 2900 FPS

79.8 H1000, 215 primer, 215 hybrid at .030 shoots 3000 FPS

Both loads are very accurate.

76 and 78 of RL26 were also accurate but I haven’t shot them enough to verify completely.

The Hornady data for a 200 eldx seem to mirror my results with a 215 hybrid.

Reactions: LakuNoc
View attachment 7043948
This is my 300 PRC that we assembled last weekend. Started life as a Remington 700 300 win. Green mountain barrel 1in 8 twist, KRG Bravo stock, Vortex Viper HS LR. She was easily ringing steel at 832 yards. Was shooting factory 225 eld Hornady. It was 5 moa flatter than my buddies 338 LM with 300 grain federal ammo. Love the cartridge so far.

Using CIP length mags with the 300 PRC?

I'd like to see ADG brass for the 300 PRC. Like some on the forum and others, I've asked ADG and it's a maybe. Good thing i don't have my 300 PRC yet. Action should be here within a few weeks, i hope. got everything except Action and bbl.

Planning on running in a KRG Whiskey 3 with Accurate-Mag CIP length? (3.7")

I don't think you are going to be happy with those 3.715" mags...I run the MDT 3.85" metal mags and I can barely place the edge of a Quarter between the end of a retail 225gr ELD-M and the interior wall of the magazine. Now that I'm running some 230gr A-Tips...I'm running awfully close to that inside wall.

I'd probably single feed if I ran the 250's.

Remember...the 3.715" is the OUTSIDE length....the inside length of the magazine says a Max COAL of 3.625"

Reactions: gnochi
Just looking at the SAAMI specs... the COAL is listed as a minimum of 3.575" with a maximum of 3.700". So, the retailer could be running toward the high end and not be able to feed into a 3.715" mag whose internal measurement is 3.625" max.

So, a 3.850" MDT Mag has an internal specified max COAL of 3.760"....so if the retailer does SAAMI max at 3.700" you only have 0.060" left over...and the thickness of a Quarter is 0.069"...so yea..that's about what I said I had left over.

Then you'll love those mags....I just wanted to clear up some confusion others might get if they read that the wrong way....I know people build a rifle and pick out all the parts...and then BAM!!! their chassis won't support the mag length they need...and then it is a frustrating mess.

Remember...shoot long and let your gunsmiths prosper...

Reactions: doctordoctor
What are you guys using for ammo management with the 300PRC? I have a Tab Gear Bullet Binder for my 308....but that isn't going to work for these 300PRC rounds. Their long action is only 20rds....anyone got some suggestions?

What are you guys using for ammo management with the 300PRC? I have a Tab Gear Bullet Binder for my 308....but that isn't going to work for these 300PRC rounds. Their long action is only 20rds....anyone got some suggestions?
50 round ammo boxes from reloading

What twist to best stabilize 220-250 grain bullets?
ditto above for Hornady 250gr A-tip, Hornady claims they are more tolerant of twist rate I'm working with the Sierra 230gr pointed Matchking #2251, Sierra recommends 1/8". I selected a 1/8" for my 300PRC, the 230gr MK did very well out to 1774 yds, only 17mils elevation with avg 2837 fps at muzzle.

1-9 should work with 230 gr. Pass 230 not sure if 1-9 can stabilize.

Why would a 1/9 twist not stabilize a 230 grain?

Lots of variables can affect bullet stability. Twist is but one of them. Bullet length, velocity, along with other variables need to be considered.

Just got the confirmation from Bartlein that my 1:10-1:6 30in LHGT barrel is ready and being shipped. Can’t wait!

Side note, how deep are people loading 198 flatlines in 300PRC? Is there any hope for loading to mag length? cc @Dan Warner

250 will stabilize in a 9 twist unless you're shooting it on the Alaskan coast in the winter.

Reactions: gnochi
Wondering how much of a jump there is running Hornady 230gr A-Tip.
Using regular Magazine length. Or should i just go for 3.850 mag length?
Thank You

Hi, new to the forum & interested in the .300 PRC! I will be in the US in November and want to pick up a Redding Die Set. I have found the "77776 Redding CUSTOM Type-S FL Bushing Size Die 300 PRC", but I cannot find a seating die with micrometer. According to Redding it is released, it's called the 300 prc competition seater die part #55776. But I can't find this anywhere (including the imho horrendous Redding website)...

Hi, new to the forum & interested in the .300 PRC! I will be in the US in November and want to pick up a Redding Die Set. I have found the "77776 Redding CUSTOM Type-S FL Bushing Size Die 300 PRC", but I cannot find a seating die with micrometer. According to Redding it is released, it's called the 300 prc competition seater die part #55776. But I can't find this anywhere (including the imho horrendous Redding website)...
Email Redding. They will recommend one or two dealers to order through. Contact the dealers and tell them what you are wanting to do. They will order the dies and hold them for you.

I just noticed that Little Crow Gunworks has a 300PRC chamber for the WFT2. I don't see myself processing 1000's of pieces of brass for 300PRC...but it is nice to see 300PRC options on the market. I ordered one just because. I know when I processed the unfired Hornady brass...it was really long.

Reactions: Cauld
This is a 65mm case, long action the 6.5 PRC is, ostensibly, a short action cartridge.
This is basically the 7LRM, but in .30 cal. This is what the new sniper rifles SHOULD have been chambered in, instead of .300 WM (approx 5 grains more capacity in the same envelope).

More ass than the .300 WM, less than the ultra-mags and Nosler offerings. Same .532 boltface as standard magnums just no retarded belt.
I was doing my own version in 2009 by sizing a 375 Ruger case with a 300 RCM die. My goal then, was to utilize the space that the belt wastes. A divorce prevented me from ever finishing mine, and I give up messing with rifles all together. Just started getting back into it this year, I was pleasantly surprised when I seen the .300 PRC for the first time. My first thought was "at least an ice queen didn't ruin someone's plans" lol

Reactions: Cweed
Just got the confirmation from Bartlein that my 1:10-1:6 30in LHGT barrel is ready and being shipped. Can’t wait!

Side note, how deep are people loading 198 flatlines in 300PRC? Is there any hope for loading to mag length? cc @Dan Warner
Am I understanding this correctly? It's a 1:10 at the throat and progresses to a 1:6 towards the muzzle?

Does anyone know if other manufacturers besides Hornady will produce the 300 PRC and the 6.5 PRC factory ammunition? If not how long would another manufacture such as federal take to start selling factory loads?

I'd like to see Berger load 300 PRC but I won't hold my breath. The Berger 338 LM with the 300 grain OTM is a very good value. I'm seeing SDs less than 10. The Hornady ELDMs in 300 PRC are running SDs around 18 or 19.

Question all, I’ve read this entire thread but still don’t feel super confident. I’m gonna have a stock inletted with DBM for 300 PRC.
Will be shooting the factory 225 Eldm.

Do I need 3.775 or 3.850 DBM? And what magazine? Thanks in advance.

Question all, I’ve read this entire thread but still don’t feel super confident. I’m gonna have a stock inletted with DBM for 300 PRC.
Will be shooting the factory 225 Eldm.

Do I need 3.775 or 3.850 DBM? And what magazine? Thanks in advance.

You want the 3.850 length magazines (COAL 3.78ish) for 300WM, which both MDT and Accurate make. Alternatively you can get 3.850 338LM magazines and a feedlip adjustment tool.

Why not just run a AI 338 CIP mag?