• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Last day at the range before loading up for the NF ELR Match. The 2850 range is a solid node for the RL-26 and 230 ATips, it's a little slower then I was dreaming about but it's shoots lights out, consistent out to 2000+ yards.

Also got a mod-ed http://adjustablebagrider.com/ for the MDT ACC which is pretty cool. With the PU 3D ELR Bag it's nice for getting that super fine adjustment just before you send it.

Attachments

• 7l7yhhc7js151.jpg
    7l7yhhc7js151.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 133
  • wzibu2mijs151.jpg
    wzibu2mijs151.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: HonkyTonk86
30 Sherman Magnum reamer shipped earlier this week
barrel is sitting waiting
338SR has serial number allocated

might throw a quick 10 rounds through it to find a rough speed and load up the other 90 pieces

we have a D-Day themed match next weekend so it would be appropriate to shoot this. would be super comical shooting PRS stages with it but eh why not need to fireform the brass anyways

Reactions: jasent
Last day at the range before loading up for the NF ELR Match. The 2850 range is a solid node for the RL-26 and 230 ATips, it's a little slower then I was dreaming about but it's shoots lights out, consistent out to 2000+ yards.

Also got a mod-ed http://adjustablebagrider.com/ for the MDT ACC which is pretty cool. With the PU 3D ELR Bag it's nice for getting that super fine adjustment just before you send it.
Awesome. Hoping I can find something similar with H1k and the 230 Bergers.

Reactions: Mk32784
Well...today I shot a few groups just above 1/4"...in the .30 MOA range....one at .26 MOA....but the node may be too dangerous with Summer coming here in N. KY. It was only 78F when I shot today....and my RL-26 load was pushing 2990 to 2996 on virgin ADG brass and 230gr A-Tips.

It was more about dialing in my new ZCO 5-27 MPCT3 scope....and getting solid MV data since I started using a Sinclair carbide neck mandrel to open them up another 1 thou after sizing with the .336 neck bushing. I had 1 bad group today.... .75" Would have been the best group of the day...but I yanked the trigger like a newb and threw it left.

Will revisit the muzzle velocity next week with a reduced load and non virgin brass. I want to get my MV spread as low as I can....for some 1 mile work coming up at TVP.

I'm getting 95.5gr of water in once fired ADG brass. What's everyone else getting?

Yea...but the water wants to dome out...so I take a razor blade and trim the water reasonably flat....I averaged over 10 pieces.

Went out tonight to run my handloads across the chrony and get an idea where I need to be for a powder charge. After doing that, I've got a couple questions....

Ruger Precision Rifle 300PRC
225 ELD M
H1000 powder- I bought 8 lbs before I got the rifle so I'm pretty well committed to it.
Bullets loaded .003 off the rifling
Federal 215M primer
Magneto speed V3 chrony

Hornady 225 ELDM factory ammo- 2850 fps average

75.6- 2749
75.8- 2780
76.0- 2781
76.2- 2780
76.4- 2784
76.6- 2790
76.8- 2818
77.0- 2793
77.2- 2818
77.4- 2809
77.6- 2865
77.8- 2842
78.0- 2856
78.2- 2896- bolt lift a little sticky
78.4- 2856

1. I was hoping to be a little bit faster with the 225 ELD M. I'm guessing to get faster I'd need to try a different powders?
2. I was thinking usually a barrel would have a low node and a high node..... I'm only seeing one node around 76 grs. Am I missing a second higher node somewhere in my data?
3. Given how close the node appears to be around 76.1 that's what I'm going to target. Any reason I might run into trouble only running at 2780 fps assuming this load actually groups well?

My goal is to use this load for shooting between 1000-2000 yds.
Looks like the low and high speed nodes are potentially pretty wide.

I’d really consider a bit more jump.

How many bullets do you have down the barrel? Also, I think the RPR is 26" on the barrel, correct?

Last weekend I helped a friend do load development on his carbon-barreled hunting rifle (26" Bartlein barrel - the whole rifle weighs like 6 lbs!). Factory 225s were getting him in the low-mid 2900s (~2930, if I remember correctly). So, 2850 on the factory 225s seems a bit on the low side. And we found a good node at ~2880-2900 with the ladder.

Interestingly, the factory ammo out of his rifle shot horribly - and I mean HORRIBLY. He was lucky to get 1.5 MOA on a 5-shot group - and it's not him, or me, because he's also had other competition shooters get the same results. He wasn't planning on getting into reloading now, but I convinced him to let me load up a ladder using RL26 and Berger 230s. The ladder was very consistent (and actually better groups throughout the whole ladder than Hornady factory!).

As mentioned, we found a node at the 2880 range, then tried to load some rounds at the range to validate. Unfortunately, the wind was really blowing and it was tough to get the portable scale just right, so the validation rounds were a bit hot at just above 2900, but they still grouped okay (and had a 5 SD...). I'm loading up some more for him at the proper charge weight for the next trip.

And oh yeah, he's ordering reloading stuff :)
Ya, not great results from factory 225’s in mine either but handload 225’s were excellent. Odd really since bullet seating was same just different powder and better concentricity average, not enough to make as much difference as it did. Very curious

Anyone having issues with the ADG brass on the 2nd firing?

I am loading the virgin brass74.2gr of RL26 first loading it’s butter smooth.

I FL size bump it back 4 thou using a whidden die and then load it the same. But now it’s causing hard bolt lift. Chambers fine but after firing it’s tight. Shoots great... so I don’t think it’s a pressure issue.

This is from my ADG brass yesterday....Shot fine groupings...but was way over pressure...230gr A-Tips doing 2996fps with RL-26 and a lot more powder than you. However, bolt lift was normal.

target_image2.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic...Range Buddy and I don't get along sometimes.

Reactions: TripleBull
I think it had something to do with the die not sizing the casing enough.

i'd vote this. down at the web/bottom of the case

die issue most likely

I don't neck size, so this is not coming from a point of experience, but wouldn't the cases be okay for a few firings at least? It seems odd that they'd get sticky after one firing.

Just to double check, these cases weren't once-fired from someone else's rifle, right?

I don't neck size, so this is not coming from a point of experience, but wouldn't the cases be okay for a few firings at least? It seems odd that they'd get sticky after one firing.

Just to double check, these cases weren't once-fired from someone else's rifle, right?
If your pressures are up they will get tight after 1 firing.

Reactions: Rocketmandb
If your pressures are up they will get tight after 1 firing.
yup this.

I've had this problem before with my 7SAW.

on virgin brass. 162 eldm at 2860 node. worked well. no pressure ever

next firing failure to extract and hard bolt lift quite often.

load to 2800 node. fine for a few hundred rounds. then fail to extract and hard bolt lift.

small base die and same loading protocol. no issues at either node.

turned out to be a die issue. have a new set now. yeah the brass is def gonna be fucked earlier that expected but oh well nbd

Anyone shooting the Sierra 230 SMK? Browsing back through this thread I'm not seeing much discussion around it even though it appears to have an attractive BC.

Anyone have any experience running 250gr atips with H1000 powder?

I don't....I have experience with the 250's and Retumbo, N565, and RL-26....of which...I prefer N565...after several testing sessions. I have also gone back to N565 on the 230's

b2lee whats your n565 230 ATIP load. All my components will be in this week and this is what I'm going to work up!

b2lee whats your n565 230 ATIP load. All my components will be in this week and this is what I'm going to work up!

Well...as we transition from winter to summer...my loads have been dialed back a bit. I was running on the ragged edge for cold weather...and have been going down a full grain here and there. I'm currently at 75.0 grains of N565 in ADG 2x fired brass. I give myself 3 thou to fit in the magazine....heh

Depends on your gun..but you may find a nice node around 74 grains if you care about paper groups at 100yds.

Yea...work up...every gun is different...what works in mine may be dangerous in yours....so 70.0 and work up and find that velocity flatspot....

Reactions: b6graham
Thanks I'm just looking for a starting point, we are really hot here already. I will start at 70 and see where I fall. I have a 1/8 and I'm gonna be looking for a ELR match load first so if I single feed it's ok. I do have the extended wyatt 300 PRC box that will fit 3.85. What jump are you guys starting with the ATIPS? Sorry for all the questions but i'm not gonna have a bunch of time before this first match.

Reactions: Patrick61
Had some good luck today with H1k, 230 bergers and 220 ELDX. Both loads @ 77.5gr were stacking them. Both loads were true @ 370yds based off labradar velocity’s. This barrel wants to shoot! It’s a 1:9 Bartlein put together by Aaron Roberts. Got to find a longer range to see what this sucker can really do. :-(
54A527B8-8D86-45EB-9851-E34DD1E3096C.jpeg

Last edited:
Well...as we transition from winter to summer...my loads have been dialed back a bit. I was running on the ragged edge for cold weather...and have been going down a full grain here and there. I'm currently at 75.0 grains of N565 in ADG 2x fired brass. I give myself 3 thou to fit in the magazine....heh

Depends on your gun..but you may find a nice node around 74 grains if you care about paper groups at 100yds.

Yea...work up...every gun is different...what works in mine may be dangerous in yours....so 70.0 and work up and find that velocity flatspot....

What die are you using for sizing?

Had some good luck today with H1k, 230 bergers and 220 ELDX. Both loads @ 77.5gr were stacking them. Both loads were true @ 370yds based off labradar velocity’s. This barrel wants to shoot! It’s a 1:9 Bartlein put together by Aaron Roberts. Got to find a longer range to see what this sucker can really do. :-(View attachment 7341488

What was the velocity on the 230 bergers? Nice looking rifle

What was the velocity on the 230 bergers? Nice looking rifle

I had a couple labradar read errors, still learning how to use it, at the 77.5gr load I was getting 2830. Don’t see a need to push it any harder. Trying to get as much life out of this ADG brass as possible as I’m not setup to anneal.

I had a couple labradar read errors, still learning how to use it, at the 77.5gr load I was getting 2830. Don’t see a need to push it any harder. Trying to get as much life out of this ADG brass as possible as I’m not setup to anneal.

I would be happy to fall in the 2850 range with the 230 class pills.

Any recommendations for a ballistic app for the 245 Berger’s? I’ve been using the Hornady app with Hornady bullets and really like it but I’m not sure how well it will work with the Berger

Any recommendations for a ballistic app for the 245 Berger’s? I’ve been using the Hornady app with Hornady bullets and really like it but I’m not sure how well it will work with the Berger
i prefer geoballistics/ballisticsarc for everything. hornady app is the furthest thing from intuitive and it's slow to operate

Finally got my hands on some ADG brass up north of the border and need to get started on some load development. I have Retumbo and R26 and 225g ELD M's and 230 g Bergers. I know its probably buried in this thread but where should I be starting at charge wise? My previous load that was showing promise with factory brass was 78.4g Retumbo with the Bergers. Probably start with the 225's on the ADG.

You might want to start a little lower than 75gr with the Retumbo and ADG....and you'll probably find a nice wide node at 75.0 grains with the 225 ELD-M's...all my previous work was done when the weather was cold.....and I've since retired my Hornady brass and don't really run the 225's any more. A-Tips4Lyfe!@

Reactions: doctordoctor
Finally got my hands on some ADG brass up north of the border and need to get started on some load development. I have Retumbo and R26 and 225g ELD M's and 230 g Bergers. I know its probably buried in this thread but where should I be starting at charge wise? My previous load that was showing promise with factory brass was 78.4g Retumbo with the Bergers. Probably start with the 225's on the ADG.
I just tested RL26 on virgin ADG brass with 225's. Tested at 75, 75.5, 76 grains with 76 being very promising. 4 shot group avg 2906 with an of ES of 7. This was also on a brand new barrel with less than 50 rounds

Reactions: TripleBull
Finally got my hands on some ADG brass up north of the border and need to get started on some load development. I have Retumbo and R26 and 225g ELD M's and 230 g Bergers.

I'm shooting Berger 230s now through my 28" 1-9 Bartlein. I'm using 73.2 gr of RL26 and getting 2850ish. I also just ordered 600 A Tips (they were on sale) and I'll be playing with those as soon as they arrive.

Reactions: B_w.
Curious what kind of bullet jump is getting the best results?

I'm working with 225 eldm & 230 bergers but also thinking I might try the 230 SMK.

Curious what kind of bullet jump is getting the best results?

I'm working with 225 eldm & 230 bergers but also thinking I might try the 230 SMK.
.020 and .060 seem to be most common for a wide range of bullets

sometimes its .005 and sometimes its .040

.020 is where I've basically always started and typically don't deviate much

I just load the 230-ATips to fit the magazine....

When you shoot the Mile and you can't tell if you have any vertical dispersion...it's all horizontal between wind gusts...then me personally...I don't try to fine tune a jump so that 100 yard paper looks marginally better. Maybe I'm just lucky and the stars aligned perfectly for my situation...but I'm working in different areas for accuracy.... neck tension consistency.

Reactions: Prw and b6graham
Okay thanks guys. Going to load up a ladder test for some 230 bergers and was looking for a starting point. I'm thinking I'll start in that . 020" range.

I load the 230 Atip like 20 or 30 thou back from max magainze length. Started there and pushed back and that shot well so am sending it.

Okay thanks guys. Going to load up a ladder test for some 230 bergers and was looking for a starting point. I'm thinking I'll start in that . 020" range.

I’m at ~0.018 for the 230’s and the 220 ELDX. No need to jam these with this caliber from what I’ve seen so far. Pretty much the easiest caliber I’ve ever loaded. Probably has a lot to do with the build quality though.

Good deal, thanks. I went out today with the 230 bergers at .025" jump and the results are promising. Having a bit of trouble getting the velocity dialed in where I want it however.

Shot a ladder and saw:

78.6gr- 2898
78.8gr- 2892
79.0gr- 2899

So I loaded 2- 5 rd strings at 78.8 and shot them over the chrony getting an SD of 17 & 15...... not as consistent as I want so I've got to get that dialed in next.

Good deal, thanks. I went out today with the 230 bergers at .025" jump and the results are promising. Having a bit of trouble getting the velocity dialed in where I want it however.

Shot a ladder and saw:

78.6gr- 2898
78.8gr- 2892
79.0gr- 2899

So I loaded 2- 5 rd strings at 78.8 and shot them over the chrony getting an SD of 17 & 15...... not as consistent as I want so I've got to get that dialed in next.
That’s with H1k? Barrel length? Sorry if I missed that in a earlier post.

yea...what powder...what barrel length...and were those SD's of 17 and 15 or Extreme Spreads?

H1000 powder, 26" barrel and SD of 15 & 17. ES were pushing 40 on both groups. I'm really not sure what to make of it given how nice the 76.6-79.0 range looked in the ladder testing.