• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag advice

Brent21

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
I have many different bolt guns but my next purchase is going to be a 300 WM. I want this one on the chance I can go out west to hunt elk or up north for bear. I’m currently looking at 3 different rifles and would love some advice. I really like the Browning Hell’s Canyon McMillian Stock, and the Seekins Havoc, as well as the Bergera Premire Series. I love the fact one person builds it and it does come with paperwork showing it’s grouping. I’m sure this is a topic that has been beat to death and I apologize as I am new to this forum. All advice will be appreciated.

Brent

300 Win Mag isn't big enough for the coastal Grizzly bears. It wouldn't matter how well you can place your shot or which high tech bullet you put into a big bear with 30 caliber anything. No decent professional guide will book a grizzly hunt for any firearm under .338 Win Mag. You'd be safer shooting the bear with a broad head arrow. I lived, fished and hunted a number of years in Alaska. Managed to take two caribou, two black bear and one trophy moose.

300 Win Mag isn't big enough for the coastal Grizzly bears. It wouldn't matter how well you can place your shot or which high tech bullet you put into a big bear with 30 caliber anything. No decent professional guide will book a grizzly hunt for any firearm under .338 Win Mag. You'd be safer shooting the bear with a broad head arrow. I lived, fished and hunted a number of years in Alaska. Managed to take two caribou, two black bear and one trophy moose.

Thank you for your input on the Costal Bears. Maybe that’s something I will avoid, my point to this thread is ideas on the rifles themselves.

Reactions: RandyS
Thank you for your input on the Costal Bears. Maybe that’s something I will avoid, my point to this thread is ideas on the rifles themselves.
Brent21,
Sorry, if I came across a bit over the top!
Alaska is a wonderful place for the outdoor enthusiast and if your planning to keep your 300WM for interior hunting, may I suggest using the heaviest 30 cal Barnes TTSX bullet available. The Barnes Triple Shock is a real game changer, it's equivalent to stepping up a caliber with a jacketed bullet. They weren't available when I was in Alaska. I won't rifle hunt with anything else.

Reactions: jrassy
No never thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind. I’m still looking for suggestions on the 3 rifles I’m looking at or another one in the same price range for that matter.

I don't know where you can find a Browning that has been grouped prior to delivery but the Browning rifle I once owned was a tack driver. It was my understanding at the time that Browning was having their barrels made in Japan by Howa. That information gave me the confidence to buy a Howa barreled action for another project - again another tack driver. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the value of a custom build over a quality factory rifle such as Browning. I've read other posts of guys having problems with custom rifles that came with sub MOA target groupings and when they tried to feed it the wrong bullet weight or cheap ammo they couldn't get it to group under 2" at 100y.

Reactions: YetiMagic
Just curious why you are set on the 300 win as there are better newer options out there that I would go with. Do you reload? Also curious why just those 3 rifles maybe if you gave us so more info on what criteria you are looking for we might be able to help you out a bit. I have seen a few bergara's in the wild and a good buddy shoots one and it does its job. No frills just shoots.

I don't know where you can find a Browning that has been grouped prior to delivery but the Browning rifle I once owned was a tack driver. It was my understanding at the time that Browning was having their barrels made in Japan by Howa. That information gave me the confidence to buy a Howa barreled action for another project - again another tack driver. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the value of a custom build over a quality factory rifle such as Browning. I've read other posts of guys having problems with custom rifles that came with sub MOA target groupings and when they tried to feed it the wrong bullet weight or cheap ammo they couldn't get it to group under 2" at 100y.
Sorry for the misunderstanding the only one grouped prior to delivery is the Bergara. You are confirming what I thought from the beginning. I have had the Browning at the top of my list. Just wanted to make a very educated choice.

Just curious why you are set on the 300 win as there are better newer options out there that I would go with. Do you reload? Also curious why just those 3 rifles maybe if you gave us so more info on what criteria you are looking for we might be able to help you out a bit. I have seen a few bergara's in the wild and a good buddy shoots one and it does its job. No frills just shoots.
Well I have several other bolt guns .243.308, 30-06. As far as these 3 guns I wanted something that would reach out and drop something at a long distance, such as Elk and or Mule Deer for hunting out west. This is why I choose the .300 WM. As far as these choices I’m not married to these only just some that I have found during my research. I am definitely open to other ideas.

I like the Browning's twist rate of 1:8. The trigger and bolt lift are also huge draws to it. For a hunting rifle, they seem to be the best value under $2k. The Bergara is 1:10, with a better stock in my opinion. Between them I would still get the Browning McMillan, folks usually get sub-MOA with factory ammo out of the box with them.

If you don't reload I would probably stick with a caliber you can get commercially available ammo for. Reloading for belted Magnums blows...I would look at the the 30 prc, 30 nosler, or 300 Norma if you are dead set on a big 30 and you reload just my 2 cents.

I like the Browning's twist rate of 1:8. The trigger and bolt lift are also huge draws to it. For a hunting rifle, they seem to be the best value under $2k. The Bergara is 1:10, with a better stock in my opinion. Between them I would still get the Browning McMillan, folks usually get sub-MOA with factory ammo out of the box with them.
Thanks for your input from what I have learned the 2018 and newer Browning’s also come in the 1:10 twist rate.

If you don't reload I would probably stick with a caliber you can get commercially available ammo for. Reloading for belted Magnums blows...I would look at the the 30 prc, 30 nosler, or 300 Norma if you are dead set on a big 30 and you reload just my 2 cents.
I don’t and currently don’t see myself reloading anytime soon. So I agree I better stick with something that I can find on a shelf, or on google.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Thanks for your input from what I have learned the 2018 and newer Browning’s also come in the 1:10 twist rate.

"In 2018 faster twist rates were added to select calibers and the twist rate is indicated on the barrel next to the caliber. The 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler became 1-7”. The 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler became 1-8”. Prior to 2018 the 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler were 1-8”; the 28 Nosler was 1-9”; the 7mm Rem Mag was 1-9.5” and the 300 Win Mag was 1-10”. "

But then they spec the 300WM as having an 8" twist. Confusing. I was under the impression that before they were 1:10 and now they are 1:8, but I can't figure out what rabbit hole that info came out of at the moment.

I’m like you I saw it somewhere but as a lefty maybe I read it backwards and it went from 1:10 to the 1:8. Not the other way as I had stated. Thanks for your input. Also of the 3 rifles do you feel the Browning is worth the money?

May also want to take a look at the fierce fury, super nice semi custom gun at the same price point.

"In 2018 faster twist rates were added to select calibers and the twist rate is indicated on the barrel next to the caliber. The 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler became 1-7”. The 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler became 1-8”. Prior to 2018 the 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler were 1-8”; the 28 Nosler was 1-9”; the 7mm Rem Mag was 1-9.5” and the 300 Win Mag was 1-10”. "

But then they spec the 300WM as having an 8" twist. Confusing. I was under the impression that before they were 1:10 and now they are 1:8, but I can't figure out what rabbit hole that info came out of at the moment.

You sir are correct I just called Browning and the Tech guy I spoke with did confirm the .300 WM is a 1:8. So that is good, however when I asked about the .300 PRC he didn’t have a timeframe.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those choices. FWIW I love shooting my 300WM, and I reload for it also. You certainly have some tough decisions. Do not discount weight either, light is nice to pack, but weight tames the thump some (as does a brake). I like the browning specs myself, but I think I might look harder at the seekins. If for no other reason, their reputation. That havak pro hunter is a nice setup. Whatever you choose, test some various grain bullets in it, and make sure it is something readily available. For playing around my 700 likes a 200 grain bullet, but as you know they are all different. Good luck and post some pics!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent21
I am building a 300 win mag for the sole purpose of traveling with it and if my ammo gets lost in transit, I can find ammo at any gun store for it.

as far as taking game with them, I would think you are good for anything north American but im sure some animals may need a bit more umph.

Bergaras are the new go to factory rifle for people it seems here lately. haven't really heard anything wrong with them. if you are trying to stay on budget, you may look at savage. stay away from the axis. im sure everyone will lose their mind that I say to use this peasant brand but I love mine and haven't had any issues with it.

My 13 year old shoots the .308 Axis and for the money it’s hard to beat. As I older I don’t mind spending more money to get something that I can pass along to my boys way down the road. That’s why I am having a hard time trying to make the best decision. My problem now is someone pointed out the .300 PRC. This is a very interesting load and I feel it may be the future with the military buying into it. Problem is there are limited rifles at this time .300 PRC ready.

Right now when you go hunting you can find 300wm ammo pretty much anywhere you go. Not so for the 300 PRC. Since the performance difference is not that much I’d go for the 300wm. It would suck to be on a hunt and not have the ammo you need

Mike

Mike,
Very good advice also you have wore rifle choices that way. I did in fact speak to a friend who works in the industry and after this years shot show 19’ he feels that this is going to be the future of 300 rounds much like the 6.5 Creedmoor and now PRC are replacing one of my favorites the .308. When the military buys into a round the public soon figures out there was probably a good reason why.

Hi,
I have a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with military grade black Teflon coating, BOSS adjustable muzzle brake and a spare magazine for sale.

EXTRAS:
1. Browning laminated thumbhole stock - bedded and pillar bedded
2. Neil Jones competition dies
3. Burris Black Diamond 3 - 12 x 50 30 mm tube scope (MOA turrets W/ mil dot reticle.
4. decent amount of factory ammo (about 6 to 8 boxes)

Eric B. (702) 370-1836
[email protected]

don't overlook cz.my 550 in 300 win mag is a great shooter,but I reload.lot's of info on Cz forums

Will you want to re-barrel it eventually? I don't think too many gunsmiths mess with Brownings, and I think there are no barrel nut options. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have an Abolt II I would like to rebarrel into 300 PRC. Because of this I am doing the same thing you are OP. Thinking about the Savage Hight country, but it only has a 24 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Don’t let people tell you that the 300wm will not kill a Coastal Brown Bear. That’s just ridiculous. Bullet selection and a well placed shot is your best bet for killing one. Heck hunters have been killing Brown Bears with sticks and strings for a long long time. One advantage the 300wm has over most other large calibers is the availability of ammo everywhere.

Don’t let people tell you that the 300wm will not kill a Coastal Brown Bear. That’s just ridiculous. Bullet selection and a well placed shot is your best bet for killing one. Heck hunters have been killing Brown Bears with sticks and strings for a long long time. One advantage the 300wm has over most other large calibers is the availability of ammo everywhere.

I didn't say a 300wm wouldn't kill a coastal brown bear but insinuated that it would be questionable if the bear would die before the shooter. During my four year stint in Alaska, I was part of a sportsman's club that would meet during the middle of winter for show and tell sessions. Of some 50 or so stories about coastal brown bear hunts, not a one was put down first shot. These were all with .375 H&H or .458 wm's. In every instance the bear would charge the direction that the shot came from. The taxidermist that was a part of the club brought in bear skulls and showed that the skull of the adult browns are solid bone 5" or more thick in the front between the eyes. He explained that the only possible way to get to the brain from the front is to shoot through the nose and sinus cavity or the optic nerve canal. He personally found out that was not a good idea when a brown bear charged down a hill at him while hunting Sitka deer. The target was bouncing all over the place, he wasn't sure he even hit the bear. About twenty yards away the bear turned and ran into tall brush. He didn't find any blood. A professional guide who was a part of the group said that he would require his clients to be able to hit four swinging plates within ten seconds from the first shot with 375 H&H or bigger cartridges. The targets were at 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards. The guide said he was tired of soiling his pants and was having a custom 50 cal built. Two army officers had slides of their unguided hunt the first year an area was reopened. That first afternoon they went out after having decided who would get the first shot at a brown bear. About a quarter mile from camp a large bear head was visible about a hundred yards away and the shooting began. Between the two of them they had expended fifteen rounds of 375 & 458 ammo before the bear rolled into the stream dead. While skinning the bear and discussing the adventure they realized that their rifles were about twenty yards away on the bank and they only had twelve rounds of ammo left with the rest of it back at camp. This is real world brown bear hunting. Underestimate brown bear and you stand a very good chance becoming the bear's last meal.

If you buy the Browning, make sure you buy it off the shelf and check the trigger. I picked up one at sportsman’s and the trigger must have been 12 pounds. The sales guy grabbed another one and it was about 7. My stock glocks have better triggers. They were the hells canyon model. I do have a buddy with one and he is very happy.

And on a side note, buy a tikka or the new sako s20.

I didn't say a 300wm wouldn't kill a coastal brown bear but insinuated that it would be questionable if the bear would die before the shooter. During my four year stint in Alaska, I was part of a sportsman's club that would meet during the middle of winter for show and tell sessions. Of some 50 or so stories about coastal brown bear hunts, not a one was put down first shot. These were all with .375 H&H or .458 wm's. In every instance the bear would charge the direction that the shot came from. The taxidermist that was a part of the club brought in bear skulls and showed that the skull of the adult browns are solid bone 5" or more thick in the front between the eyes. He explained that the only possible way to get to the brain from the front is to shoot through the nose and sinus cavity or the optic nerve canal. He personally found out that was not a good idea when a brown bear charged down a hill at him while hunting Sitka deer. The target was bouncing all over the place, he wasn't sure he even hit the bear. About twenty yards away the bear turned and ran into tall brush. He didn't find any blood. A professional guide who was a part of the group said that he would require his clients to be able to hit four swinging plates within ten seconds from the first shot with 375 H&H or bigger cartridges. The targets were at 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards. The guide said he was tired of soiling his pants and was having a custom 50 cal built. Two army officers had slides of their unguided hunt the first year an area was reopened. That first afternoon they went out after having decided who would get the first shot at a brown bear. About a quarter mile from camp a large bear head was visible about a hundred yards away and the shooting began. Between the two of them they had expended fifteen rounds of 375 & 458 ammo before the bear rolled into the stream dead. While skinning the bear and discussing the adventure they realized that their rifles were about twenty yards away on the bank and they only had twelve rounds of ammo left with the rest of it back at camp. This is real world brown bear hunting. Underestimate brown bear and you stand a very good chance becoming the bear's last meal.
I know this is an old thread but just had to comment. You are hilarious dude. 5 in thick huh? Hahaha. Must be a troll

You'll do fine with the 300WM, it will indeed kill all large bears.
Famous long time Alaska bear guide Phil shoemaker killed a Grizzly going after his fishing client, ...With a 9 mm Luger loaded with 147 Buffalo Bore +P in his pistol. Read all about it.
Shoemaker also uses a 30-06 model 70 loaded with Nosler 220 gr to go into the brush after wounded and enraged giant coastal bears, at very close range.
I'd take my 338 WM, as it's shorter than my 300WM.

You'll do fine with the 300WM, it will indeed kill all large bears.
Famous long time Alaska bear guide Phil shoemaker killed a Grizzly going after his fishing client, ...With a 9 mm Luger loaded with 147 Buffalo Bore +P in his pistol. Read all about it.
Shoemaker also uses a 30-06 model 70 loaded with Nosler 220 gr to go into the brush after wounded and enraged giant coastal bears, at very close range.
I'd take my 338 WM, as it's shorter than my 300WM.
Exactly. The idea that 300wm loaded with a 200+ grain partition x bullet or aframe or a 240gr woodleigh isn't enough for brownies is ridiculous. They're not covered in tiger tank armor like some seem to think. No hunter with a brain is trying for headshots anyways.

Reactions: 45-90