• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag build.

3378jakesr5

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm building a new long range elk and deer rifle, i have never had one built before so i wanted to share what components im going to use and i was thinking of having mile high shooting work their magic on it. Please let me know if i am missing something or any suggestions,
This is going to be for small string shooting sessions and hunting.

Almost all of the parts are here, just waiting on the barrel :sneaky:

Manners T4 elite fill stock
Gunwerks GBR magnum left hand action
Proof CF 28” 1in9 twist
SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake
Atlas PSR extended bipod
Vortex PST 3-15x44
APA bottom metal

Am i missing anything? What do i need to tell MHS when they build it?

Not really a necessity but since it sounds like you're not going to get the Manners with a mini - chassis, get a bottom metal that accepts CIP length mags so it'll grow with you if you eventually decide to stray from the 300 wm.

Reactions: 3378jakesr5
Yes sir don’t spend 3k on a gun and 2-4 k on your hunt just to have your scope fail. Upgrade the scope.
Haha, the hunting is done on family property and why would that scope fail me? I know i can do a lot better but have the scope from a previous rifle and it tracked just fine, down the road I’ll probably get a razor or something but for now i dont see why this would not work for me.

Last edited:
Not really a necessity but since it sounds like you're not going to get the Manners with a mini - chassis, get a bottom metal that accepts CIP length mags so it'll grow with you if you eventually decide to stray from the 300 wm.
I got the stock on a deal a while back so thats what started this build unfortunately. I have an MDT ESS chassis in 338lapua that will probably get changed before this will.

I'm guessing that rifle will be around 10 pounds.

For me, that's the right weight. Lighter and it will be hard to shoot.

I'm struggling to get my build under 12. An adjustable cheekpiece I want and a heavier scope are part of the problem. My barrel will probably be one pound heavier.

Something to check before finding it's too heavy or too light.

Good luck.

I'm guessing that rifle will be around 10 pounds.

For me, that's the right weight. Lighter and it will be hard to shoot.

I'm struggling to get my build under 12. An adjustable cheekpiece I want and a heavier scope are part of the problem. My barrel will probably be one pound heavier.

Something to check before finding it's too heavy or too light.

Good luck.
damn that was pretty spot on, its looking like it will be right at 11 lbs 1 oz all said and done

Yes sir don’t spend 3k on a gun and 2-4 k on your hunt just to have your scope fail. Upgrade the scope.

I’ll second this. I owned 3 Vipers. 2 failed. The Hs and PST. I’m not sure how the current ones are as I haven’t even considered them in the last few years. But I can say their customer service was top notch...as many others can say as well

I’ll second this. I owned 3 Vipers. 2 failed. The Hs and PST. I’m not sure how the current ones are as I haven’t even considered them in the last few years. But I can say their customer service was top notch...as many others can say as well
That is good information to hear but again forgive my ignorance, what fails on these guys? I have delt with their customer service before and its been awesome, so now i am just scared on what is failing for you guys.

That is good information to hear but again forgive my ignorance, what fails on these guys? I have delt with their customer service before and its been awesome, so now i am just scared on what is failing for you guys.

HS- The elevation knob crapped out at about 50 rounds of 308. Was getting drop info for a hunt. Fired a round at 400 yards. The round hit in front of the target. Looking through the scope adjusting the elevation and the reticle just shook in the scope

The PST the parallax crapped out. Was good at 35 yards but nothing else. And I mean so blurry at 100 yards it was useless

The razors are a different animal tho. Made in Japan at LOW last I heard. I’ve honestly owned Burris/Sightron and NF from LOW and have zero complaints there

If you want impressive optics for the money the market on a used Razor or Athlon Cronus BTR is a good place to look. $1200-$1500. I have the Athlon and it stacks up against my ATACR NF very well.

The Burris XTRII is another bulletproof design. But the glass lacks in the 4-20 and 5-25. I’ve had the 1-8, 4-20, and have the 3-15. 3-15 is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
PST's are not PSTII's

The ones I had were after they first came out. Made in Philippines. First gen models

I’m sure they solved the issues with newer models as they were a fairly new company then. They definitely took good care of me in the CS Dept tho

The ones I had were after they first came out. Made in Philippines. First gen models

I’m sure they solved the issues with newer models as they were a fairly new company then. They definitely took good care of me in the CS Dept tho

sadly they havent fixed the reliability of the pst line with the gen 2’s in my experience, ive had the reticle cant when adjusting the magnification, erector spring failure and a zero stop that just quit doing its job. needless to say the number of vortex I own in steadily getting less and less. Ive had zero complaints however with my razor gen 2

Not wanting to add another caliber to the lineup of reloading dies.

300wm will work just fine. And the PST will work too. Try it out, if it starts to act up send it to Vortex for repair/replacement and then punt it when you get it back and explore other options. I know quite a few people with those scopes on light weight magnum hunting guns and they haven't had any issues.

Should be a fun build!

I listed it as a pst I reality It was 2 pst II vipers in mil mil. Both where placed on rimfires and placed in my trunk for a summer. I would leave from work and go kill groundhogs. Both scopes reticles failed. I hope the hell when you really need it the cross hairs are not rolling around. I have Schmidt, Minox, Burris xtr 2's and several others. Other than the razor line i will never trust a vortex...Yes there warranty is impeachable. I want the scope I wont need it as much.

Reactions: Longrange403