• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 300 wm build?

ctharv117

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Oakland MD
www.rwbinnovations.com
ok guys

now that u all have goten me to stay with the 300wm let here some info on what barrel brand u all are using and a good twist rate for 195 to 210 gr bullets

i was thinking of a krieger barrel good idea or no

would like to shoot 1000 or more so im guessing 30 inch barrel right?

and twist i have heard of a lot of 1-10 but that is for more hunting loads with box ammo isnt it?

so whats your alls take on it please.

Re: 300 wm build?

Good choice. I love my 300WM, both of them! If 210 grain bullet is max, a 1:11" twist will do you fine. A 26" to 28" is plenty. Kreiger's are good. So is Bartlein, Rock, Lilja, and many others.

I went with a 26" Rock 1:10 twist. But its sill with Robert Gradous getting built. Cant wait to try it out. I dont think you would have to have a 30" barrel to get the velocity needed for 1000 yds.

I think the Rock barrel is a great choice. 26 is long enough too. 1-10 twist is good for a 200 gram bullet. I best it will shoot very well.

Run a 1-10 just to be safe in case you want to shoot 220gr pills or some custom ones , its hard to "overspin" a bullet and ruin accuracy but easy to underspin one and ruin accuracy.

hell a 20" 300 win would get you to 1000yds easy with a 210 gr Berger , i'd run a 26" just because
Personaly I'd run a heavy Palma conture , order it with a 4" shank so you can set it back one good time.

You can go wrong with kreiger barrels , i;ve had good luck with Brux also , as well as Rock Creek , Bartlein , Hart , Pac-Nor , Broughton , Shilen and so on.
Kreiger would be my first choice

My 300WM is a 24" (Obermeyer) 1-10, AMU fluted.