• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 WM Load Question

Ornery

Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
S. California
I have an accurate load for my Rem 700 PS in 300 WM, but I do not have a chronograph, or easy access to a range greater than 200 yards (sucky S. Cal). I am trying to figure out, or get a decent guess at the velocity of this load to work out a range card.

Here are the details:

1. 26 inch barrel
2. Hornady 208 A Max bullet (set at 3.600" COL)
3. Winchester brass
4. CCI Mag rifle primers
5. 74.5 grains of H1000

I go up 3/4 moa from 100 to 200 yards.

I am guessing the velocity is around 2700 fps. Does anyone have any input on this load velocity?

Thanks,

Ornery

Re: 300 WM Load Question

We could probably get you in the ballpark, but without the chronograph or a longer range to work backwards, it is going to be tough. Do you have a longer range that you can slip out to for a trip or to? If you could get say a 300 and 600 yard dope, you would be able to get pretty close to you speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ornery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an accurate load for my Rem 700 PS in 300 WM, but I do not have a chronograph, or easy access to a range greater than 200 yards (sucky S. Cal). I am trying to figure out, or get a decent guess at the velocity of this load to work out a range card.

Here are the details:

1. 26 inch barrel
3. Winchester brass
4. CCI Mag rifle primers
5. 74.5 grains of H1000

I am guessing the velocity is around 2700 fps. Does anyone have any input on this load velocity?

Thanks,

Ornery</div></div>

dude...welcome.....you have paid the freight for the long range game....so now......get a fuckin chrono and live the good life......................................................................................

hey with the info you gave out this is what I came up with.2648 fps from the muzzel.hope this helps out.useing what I used to get it works great for me.most of the time its right on for me.now just work up the dope and find out for your-self.

but need to ask whay you are not pushing the bullet alittle faster.for me a charge of 76.0gn's works better with the same powder.and my rifel is a 5R in a 300wm.

No way to know for sure without a crono, but Id say your a little slow but if its accurate who cares, and especially if you cant get out past 200 yards. You wont even begin to see how freaking good that 208 Amax is until you stretch it out from 700 to 1000.
heres my current load and speeds out of a bone stock 300 WM Sendero 26 inch .
Hornady cases,, ultra-sonicly cleaned after each use.
Fed 215
76.8 H-1000
208 Amax
3.608 OAL just into the lands
~2988 Fps.
It is compressed but not too bad as the brass is now fully fireformed.
It cuts the wind like a YOSHI BLADE

Chronys are cheap, take out all the guesswork.
Work good, don't rust' rot or mildew, last a long time.
The Chrony claims to be accurate to a gnats ass, I don't know, but will give you an idea of what your load is doing.

Become a member of Desert Marksman. Do know where that is? Off the 14 freeway in Palmdale area. Great range, has paper all the way to 600 yards and then there's a 1000 yard line. It is a private range though so you gotta be a member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ornery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an accurate load for my Rem 700 PS in 300 WM, but I do not have a chronograph, or easy access to a range greater than 200 yards (sucky S. Cal). I am trying to figure out, or get a decent guess at the velocity of this load to work out a range card.

Here are the details:

1. 26 inch barrel
3. Winchester brass
4. CCI Mag rifle primers
5. 74.5 grains of H1000

Thanks,

Ornery</div></div>

Plan A - get a chrony.

Plan B - zero exactly at 100

shoot several groups off a rest at 200, calculate the drop

run an analysis on JBM, fiddle the MV until the two correlate

Ideally ? - go with Plan A + Plan B but out at 300

I have the 5R 300 wm as well . Try the 240 SMK with 65.5 H4831 SC at ten thousandths of the rifling . I chronoed the at an average of 2606 FPS and they are down right brutal on impact and sail good out to 1000yds . Also I didn't have so much luck with the H1000 , did I do something wrong ? Thanks .

Thanks for all of the information.

It looks like I will just get a chronograph. I also have a 700 PSS in 308 that I should get the fps down better.

I haven't made it to Los Angelos shooting range or to the Desert Marksman range in Palmdale yet.

I e-mailed Hornady with the same question. Their reply was: the velocity should be between 2,500 - 2,800 fps. Not much help at all.

Ornaery