• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 WSM Build Questions

Daveworkslocal

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hello all!

This is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I have recently been attending some local NBRSA 1000yd events and I have had less than optimal results with my 6.5 Grendel (no wind record was 7 15/16th's in light gun) and I have set about building a competition rifle to bring me on par.

So far I have:
30"x1.21" straight cylinder Schnieder polygonal barrel in 1 in 9 twist
Donor Remington 700 LA in 300wm
Gary Eliseo RTM chassis (on the way)
And a Sniper's Hide Edition USO SN-3 to top it off

My questions are; what problems will I face when using a Long action with a 300WM magazine when loaded with 300WSM ammunition, and is this even feasible?
I would like to shoot the 210 VLD's but I'm worried I wont be able to match the velocity of that of the 300WM with that bullet. I know most of the disadvantages incurred when using heavy bullets in the WSM is that the bullets must be seated well into the case to stay under max COAL, thus taking up powder capacity.
Will I be able to avoid this by seating the bullets way out utilizing the space created by the LA?

If all else fails, I'll stick with the good ole' 300WM.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

Re: 300 WSM Build Questions

You could shoot 300 WSM out of a long action, but I don't see the point. The 300 WM has a larger case capacity and can more easily accommodate larger bullets like the 208 or 225 BTHPs. Since you already have a 1/9 twist barrel, you would want to use the heaviest bullets you could get your hands on.

Something else to consider is that it might be challenging to reliably feed the short action bullets out of a long action repeater magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could shoot 300 WSM out of a long action, but I don't see the point. The 300 WM has a larger case capacity and can more easily accommodate larger bullets like the 208 or 225 BTHPs. Since you already have a 1/9 twist barrel, you would want to use the heaviest bullets you could get your hands on.

Something else to consider is that it might be challenging to reliably feed the short action bullets out of a long action repeater magazine.</div></div>

Thank you!
I had been set on the WM and an NBRSA friend of mine has been trying to sway me lately. After reading about the short powder column vs long, giving some inherent accuracy I decided to post and get some input. But I really can't get over the horsepower offered by the WM which appeals to primitive side to say the least haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Gradous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 300 Win Mag</div></div>

If the recommendation comes from him, this is really all you need to hear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Gradous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 300 Win Mag</div></div>

If the recommendation comes from him, this is really all you need to hear. </div></div>

I did some reading on him. I'll take that advice. Thank you all. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Lester Bruno will be doing the work unless I can find someone else. He's around 700 to chamber the barrel (which is a truly beautiful peice),crown it, accurize the action, and epoxy said action into the chassis.

Sounds like you'll have no excuses to miss now.. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you'll have no excuses to miss now.. :) </div></div>

I guess not!

Anyone have any chamber/throat recommendations for the Win Mag? I want to avoid single feeding this gun at all costs and the AI magazines allow for a pretty long COAL.

I've been told to do a SAAMI spec minimum chamber, but what about the throat?

If your going long action have you thought about the 300 RUM, 300 norma or 308 Baer? If going to stick between 300wsm or 300wm why not do a 300 wsm.... I'm pretty sure the brass is cheaper, less powder, and the wsm platform is winning matches just check 6mmbr.com/accurateshooter.com. Also I haven't heard of feeding problems in a long action. Think about it like a 6mmbr and 243win in a short action. The 6mmbr is a good bit shorter but they both still work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going long action have you thought about the 300 RUM, 300 norma or 308 Baer? If going to stick between 300wsm or 300wm why not do a 300 wsm.... I'm pretty sure the brass is cheaper, less powder, and the wsm platform is winning matches just check 6mmbr.com/accurateshooter.com. Also I haven't heard of feeding problems in a long action. Think about it like a 6mmbr and 243win in a short action. The 6mmbr is a good bit shorter but they both still work. </div></div>

Because the WM brass is is plentiful, the barrel life on the WM is considerably better than than the RUM while still maintaining 90% of the velocity of the RUM. I thought about doing a WSM build but after some solid advice on this forum I have leaned heavily on the WM.