• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 WSM Build(Savage)

jjones88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
As stated this will be a 300 WSM build that is based on a savage short action. Being in college this will be a budget build utilizing the following components. I will start posting pictures shortly as time allows.

Stevens short action 308(for now)
Rock 28" 5R 300 WSM 1:10 twist AMU contour
Bell & Carlson medalist type 2
Rifle Basix Trigger
SS 10x42
Badger FTE

Re: 300 WSM Build(Savage)

New right out of the box.
build1.jpg

With new stock
build3.jpg

Barrel is still 3 months out so it will stay a 308 till then, hopefully scope will be in by next week.

The Stevens 200 is a great place to start off! I am almost done with my budget build in .308 and have had a great time building the gun. Looking good so far!

You will have a very nice setup when it is done. How did you manage to find a new Stevens short action rifle. Those things are so hard to find these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have a very nice setup when it is done. How did you manage to find a new Stevens short action rifle. Those things are so hard to find these days.</div></div>

Cheaper than dirt is were I got mine and I think they have a few left in stock. I went with the Stevens 200 over a used Savage, figured might as well start fresh.

Keep in mind most of the 300 WSM savage barrels are large shank, and the stock short action 308s are usually small (standard) shank. I think Shilen does either size for the WSM.
I have a savage with the standard shank receiver (308 caliber)and am wanting to get a 300 WSM barrel also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind most of the 300 WSM savage barrels are large shank, and the stock short action 308s are usually small (standard) shank. I think Shilen does either size for the WSM.
I have a savage with the standard shank receiver (308 caliber)and am wanting to get a 300 WSM barrel also. </div></div>

Shilen will cut the standard shank to 300WSM so no worries there. All that needs to be converted is the bolt face, and the internal box magazine. I think I'm going to try and modify the current internal magazine, if that fails Midway has them for $10 so no real big loss. If you order from Shilen the current lead time is 2 to 3 months.

Started thinking about what to do about a cheek rest, this is the rough sketch. I started getting some stuff together as well.

ccb9cb26.jpg

219d7383.jpg

I have been looking at the badger FTE brake because of the ease of removal. Does anyone use this brake on a 300 WSM or WM, if so whats your opinion of its performance?

You might want to take a look at Ross's Breaks, he's a member here on the Hide. He makes very good Breaks and his servive is awesome!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to take a look at Ross's Breaks, he's a member here on the Hide. He makes very good Breaks and his servive is awesome!! </div></div>

I like his work, but I would like the option of having the ability to easily remove the brake for f-class and a suppressor.

Scope finally mounted up. Decided to go in another direction with the barrel. Shilen is still 3 months behind, but i can get a rock creek in 6 weeks.

a9f3c398.jpg

I have pretty much the same set up as you... I would change the rings! Esp.after you switch to WSM. I had a horrible time trying to get the Burris rings to work. Even Burris suggested I go with their signature rings instead of the xtr's. I now use Badger's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have pretty much the same set up as you... I would change the rings! Esp.after you switch to WSM. I had a horrible time trying to get the Burris rings to work. Even Burris suggested I go with their signature rings instead of the xtr's. I now use Badger's. </div></div>

I have no problems using burris tactical rings on my 300 WSM

Don't know if you checked with him but Kevin ray hill at stockade can get you a benchmark barrel chamber and thread and send to you ready to install in a couple weeks for $425 not to mention he is probably the best savage smith out there

I'm going to have predator customs do the work here in knoxville. I'm getting rid of the barrel nut system as to go with something heavier like a M24 contour barrel. So I get 5R rifling and my brake threads cut and timed up as well. In the end I'm only spending about $100 over what I would have been spending with the shilen, but now I will have much higher quality setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbledroptine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which break did u go with </div></div>

Badger FTE

So I now have somewhat of a delima. It was suggested to me that I should consider the .260 over the 300 wsm. My main intention for this build is pretty much for target shooting and I hope to try my hand at f-class this year. So what do ya'll think. Stick with 300 wsm or go for the .260.

i would not want to shoot a 300wsm 66 times prone no break

with the 260 ... cheaper bullets,powder,brass
the recoil is very tame by comparison

also would rethink getting rid of the barrel nut
you dont need such a heavy contour barrel
and changing barrels is easy with the nut

also while youre at it cut off the front of the scope base
it hangs over the nut ...with it there the base has to be removed every time you change the barrel

either way enjoy your cheap rifle that will shoot just like
an expensive one....hehe yep i shoot savages too

Well I went to Predator Customs today and hashed out all the remaining details. So here it is.

28" Rock Creek 5R 300 WSM
AMU Contour
f-class crown
Badger FTE Brake and thread protector
Skim bedded

You should also know that F-Class rules prohibit muzzle brakes, in Australia they do anyway.

Yep that's what the removable brake and thread protector are for.

Dude, you are going to regret your choice in caliber if this gun is really for F class. You will be the most hated person on the line because of the noise from that big blaster. 260 or 6.5x47 is this is a f class only gun.

It's not just for F class. At some point I will build a dedicated competition rig, but for now this will serve my purpose for the one or two competitions I go to.

Well after a long wait its back from Predator Custom Shop. These guys do great work, and I would highly recommend them.

e30d3821.jpg

f6041c05.jpg

e8004a55.jpg

4406e0d5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that burnt bronze cerakote? </div></div>

Yep, turned out great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of BIPOD is that? </div></div>

Made it. 316L stainless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjones88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that burnt bronze cerakote? </div></div>

Yep, turned out great.</div></div>

same color mine's getting done in....already have my 1911 coated as well