• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 308 155 amax will it carry out to 1000 yds

lal357

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
millbrook,AL
alittle info on my gun savage mod12 lrpv rebarreled to a shilen select match 30" 308 1-10 twist.
it shoots 168gr amax good @ 300 yds mr-63 target holds 190-196 if i do my part tried some155gr amax heads and it loves them shoot 196-200 in practice for score with between 12-18 x .i have a chance to shoot at longer distances out to 1k but am wondering if the 155's will hold up at that far or should i give some accuracy for distance. i tried the 178 and 190 heads didnt do that good so i put them on the back burner for now until i find a powder,case,primer that will work.

Re: 308 155 amax will it carry out to 1000 yds

A nember of 155`s have been doing 1K+ accurately for years.they`ll carry past 1K.... run them at least 2900+ ft/sec.
bill larson

Run those 155 AMAX's over 45 grains of Varget thru that 30" Shilen tube..and you will love your 1000 yard scores!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sarge7174</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know about the Amax,but Berger 155.5s make it to a thousand quite well.
</div></div>

The Bergers have a G1 BC of ~.464, the Amax; .415. The Amax will require a bit more elevation to make it to 1000, but if you are going over 2925 or so, it should work just fine. Just give them some more wind correction.

Darrell, don't know if you ever saw in my F T/R scope thread, but I went with your advice and went with a NF BR 12-42x56. Picking up my completed rifle w/ scope on Friday evening and heading to the range on Saturday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darrell, don't know if you ever saw in my F T/R scope thread, but I went with your advice and went with a NF BR 12-42x56. Picking up my completed rifle w/ scope on Friday evening and heading to the range on Saturday. </div></div>

Excellent! Which reticle did you get in it?

Down under, we try to push out 155gr to 2950fps or more if able but at least 2950fps for supersonic to 1000yds. Most guys I know are loading at around 45 - 46gr Varget in their rifles. I have 46.5gr but I have a 26" barrel and need the extra powder for velocity. try the SMKs aswell as AMAX and also Bergers(I havent played with them but) and/or Scenars I use an aussie designed and made 155gr VLD.

Good luck matre and watch how flat those 155gr shoot!!

heres my load data for my gun
case: hornady match or lapua
primer: fed gm210m
powder: varget 46.0 grs.
bullet: hornady amax 155gr seated .020 off the lands (likes the jump)
chrono's @ 2928 fps avg.

i could push them more but found the gun likes that load the best at 300yds i've also tried rl-15 i've loaded up some 155 lapua senars (had a box laying around)to see what they will do but i picked the amaxs becuase i can shoot twice as much becuase they cost 1/2 what bergers cost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darrell, don't know if you ever saw in my F T/R scope thread, but I went with your advice and went with a NF BR 12-42x56. Picking up my completed rifle w/ scope on Friday evening and heading to the range on Saturday. </div></div>

Excellent! Which reticle did you get in it? </div></div>

I picked up used. It has the NP-R2 reticle. I'm a Marine field arty guy and have the mil system down pat. It's going to take some getting used to with the moa platform. Old dogs and new tricks and stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sarge7174</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know about the Amax,but Berger 155.5s make it to a thousand quite well.
</div></div>

The Bergers have a G1 BC of ~.464, the Amax; .415. The Amax will require a bit more elevation to make it to 1000, but if you are going over 2925 or so, it should work just fine. Just give them some more wind correction.

</div></div>
How do the Lapua 155's measure up to these two? Until I can afford my own reloading equipment I'm going to have to use factory ammo of the sorts. I like Southwest Ammo's 175smk's so far and was considering trying out their 155 Palma's and Scenars. They use Lapua bullets in Winchester and Lapua brass. Have no idea what they use for powder and primer but they claim 2900fps in a 24" barrel. I'll be running a 30" in 1:10. I should be able to break 2950 with that, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lal357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i could push them more but found the gun likes that load the best at 300yds </div></div>

You've found the important point here. If you're shooting them at 300 yards, you don't NEED a uber-high pressure 1000 yard load. You will probably actually get better groups if you step the loads down a node. A 1000 yard load is typically a compromise between group size and max velocity, to minimize wind drift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Bergers have a G1 BC of ~.464, the Amax; .415.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How do the Lapua 155's measure up to these two? Until I can afford my own reloading equipment I'm going to have to use factory ammo of the sorts. I like Southwest Ammo's 175smk's so far and was considering trying out their 155 Palma's and Scenars. They use Lapua bullets in Winchester and Lapua brass. Have no idea what they use for powder and primer but they claim 2900fps in a 24" barrel. I'll be running a 30" in 1:10. I should be able to break 2950 with that, right? </div></div>

The advertized G1 BC for the Scenars is .462, so, very close to the Bergers. If all other things are equivalent, if they are getting 2900 fps out of a 24" barrel, you should see ~3020 fps out of a 30" barrel.

ok next question for ya with the cost difference between bergers/senars and amaxs is it common practice to shoot the cheaper loads in practice then use the more expensive loads on match day . reason i ask is i shoot twice a month with most of the time only shooting 25 of each cal. (i make a day out of it shoot 3 rifles and maybe 2 pistols. so as you can see it cost alot to shoot like i do. if i keep the dope for each round then adjust the scope accordingly .

If you're only shooting short range (300 yards and under), and you have a good accurate load for your cheaper loads, it can do no harm to get out and work on your position and fundamentals with cheaper bullets (with less-streamlined BC's). If you are going to be doing long-range paractice, 800-1000, etc. I would recommend against running a different bullet than you will use in competition, or whatever. Half of your long-range practice is really getting your brain "synched" up to the wind drift of your competition round.

Darrell

i agree darrell the range i shoot at is only 300 so its more of a fundimental thing unfortunitly the only time i will be able to shoot 500 and out is at a match .so i just want to work on the mechanics(breathing, finger control,eye focus,and reading mirage better).

I shot with a friend of mine this weekend. He had a load worked up for his new rifle (tac 30, 28" kreiger 1 in 10). 155 bergers on top of varget and lapua brass. The wind was crazy and we were shooting at 400 and 500 yards. My 175 vlds were shooting in between his 155's on windage but his vertical was also affected. It was 20mph+ and alot of the time from 12 to 6oc then switching from 6 to 12oc. He was getting a foot of elevation difference in the two conditions at 500yrds... Is this possible because of wind alone or should his load go back to the drawing board? It was certainly the worst conditions either of us have ever shot in with the wind flags literally going in circles with direction change...

A foot is a lot to be wind unless you have some funky elevation/tree line swirl thing. Personally I found that consistent neck tension made a big difference in my vertical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok next question for ya with the cost difference between bergers/senars and amaxs is it common practice to shoot the cheaper loads in practice then use the more expensive loads on match day . reason i ask is i shoot twice a month with most of the time only shooting 25 of each cal. (i make a day out of it shoot 3 rifles and maybe 2 pistols. so as you can see it cost alot to shoot like i do. if i keep the dope for each round then adjust the scope accordingly .
</div></div>

Personally for practice I use Sierra's, whether you shoot 155s or heavies you can get the 155[2165] Palma or 175 SMKs for 1/2 the price of Berger or Lapua. The difference between them and the more expensive rounds is about 1" per MPH of full value. At this point for me the bullet is rarely the reason I drop points missing the change in wind is what hurts me. Think about it, 1MPH = a point in TR, and 1MPH is damned hard to call, at least where I shoot. If you can make SMKs work then the others just save you points you would have missed at match time.

FWIW - I've been shooting the factory CorBon 155 Scenar load from a 24" 11-twist Bartlein (GAP Hospitaller) with the following results (10-shot string):

Lo - 2921 fps
Hi - 2985 fps
Avg - 2957 fps
ES - 64.1 fps
SD - 24.5

Using the 2957 fps avg. MV for the 155 Scenars, altitude = 420 ft, 65 degrees F, 60% humidity, 29.92" Hg, and scope height of 1.96", JBM gives a predicted drop of 30.0 MOA at 1000 yd. It also gives the predicted mach at 1000 yd of 1.148.

For the same rifle/atmospheric data with the Applied Ballistics 175 gr Tactical load (avg. MV = 2725 fps), JBM predicts a drop of 34.1 MOA at 1000 yd and a mach of 1.115.

I am in a similar situation as the OP here. That is, I have my first 1000 yd comp coming up this Sunday. I've only shot the AB 175 load to ~ 880 yd, and the 155 Scenars to 600 yd. Neither of the JBM predictions for these two loads give a mach number of 1.2 (or greater) at 1000 yd, which as I understand it is highly desirable. I posted this question in the Range Report/Exterior Ballistics section a couple wekks ago and received little response. Like the OP, I am wondering whether I will be ok with either of these loads at 1000 yd, as both seem to be on the ragged edge for that range ballistically from this rifle. Any suggestions from the F-Class 1000 yd experts?

I currently have a build underway for a 1000 yd F-Class rifle that will be much more suitable for that range, so this is a temporary situation. It was suggested to me at a midrange competition last weekend that I should go ahead and shoot in the 1000 yd match next Sunday so that I can get some dope for my rifle for use in a wind reading clinic at 1000 yd the following weekend. The idea was that I would get much more out of the clinic if I didn't go into it cold, so I went ahead and signed up for the 1000 yd comp knowing I may have a pretty poor showing with my current setup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I have not shot the 175's from AB but it is my understanding the 175 OTM handles the transonic area very well and stays nose on to the target at ranges that other bullets tend to yaw.

I'm curious to what others have to say as well.

gstaylorg, just read your posting, the only concern I see is the huge es and sd on the Corbon 155 scenar ammo. You could be looking a 15 inch swing in vertical alone with those spreads. If theres one thing I have learned that is for longer range you need the low ed and sd numbers for a start, its that simple. The OTM loads you were using were they your own or factory bought? if the es & sd numbers are better, I might lean towards them.

mjh,

My suspicion is that much of the large range of the ES/SD data is due to my using a Shooting Chrony beta, which doesn't really seem to be the "best" chronograph available. I can tell you that even with the large ES/SD numbers, the vertical dispersion I have observed at 600 yd with either the 175s or 155s is well under 0.5 MOA. Because my drops at various ranges between 100 and 600 yd are also absolutely spot on with what JBM calculates for the avg. MVs I determined with the Shooting Chrony, I've gone ahead and used those numbers. At least with the AB 175s, Bryan Litz has determined the SD for this ammo to be from 7-9 out of a 20" LaRue OBR using a much better chronograph than I have access to. Based on my vertical dispersion and his testing, I'm inclined to believe the numbers for the AB175s from my rifle are a lot tighter than my chronograph is showing. However, I guess I'll find out for sure when I shoot them at 1000 yd on Sunday (LOL).

My main concern is that I really don't want to be the guy hitting the berm 10 yds short of the target frame or putting holes in someone else's target one lane over my first time out at 1000 yd if the rounds are going trans/subsonic at 950 yds. As I mentioned, it was strongly suggested that I get some dope for 1000 yd <span style="font-style: italic">before</span> attending the wind reading clinic in a couple weeks by shooting at the match this Sunday, so that I might have a better learning experience during the clinic. At this point, I'm really leaning toward the AB175s, mainly because I have a lot more experience shooting them in practice and midrange competitions where they have performed very well. I don't really care if I don't score very well in the match using this setup, it's just an interim solution. But I'd hate to potentially mess up someone else's day if my setup is going to be so poor ballistically that hitting the target at all will be a major challenge. Mainly it's just paranoia due to my lack of experience at the longer range. In any case, thanks for your comments, I do appreciate it.

Your welcome, last year I bought an Oehler 35 for that very reason, with decent dope out to 800 with the OTM's I would definetely lean that direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mjh,

My suspicion is that much of the large range of the ES/SD data is due to my using a Shooting Chrony beta, which doesn't really seem to be the "best" chronograph available. I can tell you that even with the large ES/SD numbers, the vertical dispersion I have observed at 600 yd with either the 175s or 155s is well under 0.5 MOA. </div></div>

I get ES numbers from my Beta Chrony that don't bear out at 1000 either. Last yr my vertical was almost never outside of the 10 ring, but my Chrony numbers would suggest otherwise, but like you my dope suggests that the average MV is pretty close.

I shoot 1000s of 155gr Lapua a year about 1200 rds at 1000 yds they work fine 8.4 mils sea level( ajust for DA). Quite a few of that out are out of a DTA SRS 22" barrel at 2930 fps. Never had a problem

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I feel a little better about using this setup now. I'll let you know how it goes.