• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 AR recoil question

Bumbellybeak

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
Illinois, USA
I'm looking for your input from first hand experience. I have never fired an AR style .308 and I'm curious about the recoil. The only input I've had is from an AR .223 shooter who told me when he shot a short barreled SR-25, to him, it kicked like a mule.
I have shot a Winchester Mod 70 and Remington 700; both hunting rifles.

What is the recoil like in a .308AR? Does it differ from say and Armalite, to a Stoner or a POF?

Re: .308 AR recoil question

I have a POF lower with a DPMS AP4 upper and recoil is not bad at all I would say it is less than my bolt .308's

from what I hear the gas piston uppers are very nice to shoot and I hear tell that there is a Endyne buffer on the market now as well

The Enidine hydraulic buffer is going to be in stock within a few weeks, I'm told (by NoKick, where they sell Enidines).

I have an AR-10T, and the kick isn't bad at all. I mean, compared to a .223, it's more, but it's hardly the kind of recoil that flattens a man.

I have to ask: how short WAS the barrel on that SR-25? Maybe that was a cause of your friend's bad recoil experience.

I have a DPMS LR-308 with a 16" and 24" upper. Both have brakes on them and recoil isn't bad, it is a lot different than a .223 simply because of the bolt group weight. Took me a while to get used to the bolt slamming shut. The recoil impulse lasts longer and takes some getting used to.

I have a 20, 16, and 12" POF and none of them are bad. I have a 14.5 on backorder. The 12" was rebarreled to that length and registered as an SBR. They are all 308's.

But then again I've been known to blow through 100 rounds of 50BMG in one range sitting.

Your body will adjust to the recoil, seriously. After a few shot you will adjust to the rifle, it's no biggie(from a guy with 160 lbs and 5'5"). The bad guy at another end of the rifle is the one that need to be worry,not you.

Recoil is not really the problem. There is so much mass in the action that it take a bit of the kick out; I run a slash buffer by the way. One problem you may want to watch out for is with all that mass in the action, the rifle can move around a lot when the bolt chambers up a new round.

I don't think my AR10 has very much recoil at all. Is it noticeably more than a smooth running AR15? Yes, but honestly I don't really notice it most of the time. I'm running an MGI buffer though, a bit more pricey than the Enidine but worth it IMO.