• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 brass?

gnappi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
I started loading .308 a few months ago (been loading everything else a LONG time) and since Winchester was the only brass available I got a lot of it, and worked up all my current loads using it without doing any of the typical sorting for accuracy.

Recently I came into a bunch of Hornady match, RP, and lake city brass. Has anyone gotten to check any of these for better long range suitability over the other brands?

I've gotten to ~ an inch at 200 yards with the Winchester but I plan on going out to 600 yards soon so every little bit is gonna help. I'd hate to waste effort on prepping a bunch of brass that I can pass by and get something more consistent from the get go.

TIA,

Gary

Re: .308 brass?

If the case is sound and properly prepped, the only variable different brands of brass introduce is case volume. You should be able to build a good working load with any case brand, but maybe not consistent across brands.

WIN brass is about 3rd on the list of top Brass barnds in 308 {Lapua and Norma betin on top}.

As far as durability, I am getting 30+ reloads with a stiff load with Win brass.

Prep it and do whatever sorting yo like. It will last a long time.

I run the Winny brass with my premium loads (Berger-VLD) It has been very consistent. For my 168 and 175SMK and HNDY match bullets I run the RP brass. A little more room than the winny so you have to adjust the charge.

LC has less capacity, so I use the LC and all other nato cases for my plinkers, running 147 M80 pulls at a reduced load just for shooting technique practice. Some may have loads, with the bullet seated out, but I run all of my stuff at mag length and the nato stuff just doesnt have enough room for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WIN brass is about 3rd on the list of top Brass barnds in 308 {Lapua and Norma betin on top}.

As far as durability, I am getting 30+ reloads with a stiff load with Win brass.

Prep it and do whatever sorting yo like. It will last a long time.</div></div>

That is general consensus... but a good reason to use WIN brass is the greater case capacity. It lets you squeeze in a little more powder.

I use Lapua personally, but Winchester is not a bad choice at all.

Lake City is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It has to be prepped well, once fired is widely available, virgin brass less so (I would prefer starting with virgin brass). It is very thick which means lower case capacity, but it is tough and will last a good while. You might also have to remove the military crimp.

I haven't had the opportunity to examine Hornady or Remington brass.

Hey, I been in this same situation of trying all the different brands of brass out for years and for years I thought Winchester was king, until.. I bought Lapua and now wont shoot anything else. Save your time and powder and money and just buy Lapua is my suggestion cause I tried all those different brands out and wish I could just go back and save myself the time and effort. Just my .02