• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .308 Chamber reamer recommendations requested

Unsichtbar

Online Training Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2008
Texas
Need to rebarrel AIAW .308 I need recommendations for a chamber reamer purchase. This is a rifle used in professional instruction classes, TAC matches and some F class F/TR. The 7.62 chamber kind of hard on .308 brass and want to stay away from too tight match/Palma chamber. Shooting mostly .155 Lapua and some 175 SMK of course mag length for both.

I can recommendations from Pac Tool and Die but wanted some other opinions.

Re: .308 Chamber reamer recommendations requested

Stick with the recommendations from Dave at PTG, he won't steer you wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stick with the recommendations from Dave at PTG, he won't steer you wrong. </div></div>

+1

Call Dave, tell him what you want to do, and do what he says. I'm really glad that I did.

The Bisley reamer is my second favorite .308 reamer. The 1995 Palma is #1 but, it's tight. With a free bore of .150", the Bisley is GTG in an AI magazine. Loose enough to shoot milsurp, tight enough to shoot bug holes.

+2 on Dave Kiff, he reccomended both of the reamers I mentioned
wink.gif

Thanks to all exactly the info I needed, the Bisley PTD sounds ike the ticket.

Being the (as usual) sole dissenting poster; I have always used SAAMI chamber specs. It sacrifices some small degree of accuracy, no doubt. But it also adds a level of simplicity; making some operations, like neck turning, far less critical to accuracy, and additionally, allows the substitution of commercial ammo in circumstances of unforseen necessity. With all my guns, in a pinch, I can nominally shoot any ammo I can lay my hands on.

Greg

Here's the specs George gave me for my current F-TR .308 build:

.342 jk 90fb 1 deg 30

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the specs George gave me for my current F-TR .308 build:

.342 jk 90fb 1 deg 30 </div></div>

Thats a little tight on the neck, but close enough that it would eat most brass without a problem.

PTG has a Bisley reamer w/ a .341 neck (standard is .343) that works very well w/ lapua brass. a little tight if Federal GMM is on the menu though.

I have two PTG 98 Palma reamers one is a.336 neck the other is a .344, fired brass measures .369 at the base. Load to 2.800 and go

In a semi auto I would go with the SAAMI reamer, usually.

In a bolt action or single shot, I want the tighter, but no turn neck.

When I order the no turn neck reamer, there is a wait and a cost added, and I often tack on some change to the throat length.

The wait for a custom from Manson or PTG can be terrible.
You can get idiots on the phone at PTG, but Dave Manson is a very sharp guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what would be the best compromise between absolute reliability in the dirt and accuracy? This would be for a bolt gun. </div></div>

This one, modified Palma reamer

308jpg.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

.... cut at .004" over minimum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

.... cut at .004" over minimum. </div></div>

Yep, haven't found anything factory or properly loaded ammo that wouldn't feed and there are a whole lot of tactical rifles cut with this reamer and I'm not the only one using it.

Randy........your modified reamer print is almost the same as my Bisley print. Very close.

Check your email.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy........your modified reamer print is almost the same as my Bisley print. Very close.

Check your email. </div></div>

Got it. All seemed to work fine.

I emailed PTG as suggested, responce:

I recommend the 308 Tactical Match Finish reamer with a .343 neck and .098 freebore (1&#730;-30).
Regards,
Dave

Pacific Tool & Gauge

I have used ptg, mason and two dif clymers for 308. brownells sells a clymer m852 match. after using the clymer 852 match i will never use any other. chambers are clean. flashing around the case neck is minimal. fired cases are not deformed. never had a stuck case. i use 168gr sierra but it likes 155s also.

Randy,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats basically a WTC95 Palma chamber throated long for a S175MK - or a Lapua 155 Scenar - right?

For the rest of ya... having had a Rock 5R barrel chambered by Randy with that reamer, I can attest that it does shoot very, very well. Had mine cut to fit my headspace gauges - which made factory FGMM a very (too) snug fit, but that wasn't what I had in mind anyways.

Monte

Just a question, why doesn't anyone build a 308 reamer with a 308 lead and
starting throat diameter? Doesn't make sense to me to start the bullet out with
a loose fit in the bore. It has worked wonders with the Wylde chamber in .223.

Can someone give this noob the cliff notes version of the different chambers that are available and their specific applications? I am having trouble visualizing the differences.

Thanks Duey

Will normal brass fit in a .308 palma ptg chamber or would you have to turn down the necks. Do you use small necked reloading dies for it.
My barrel is suposed to show up this week so I need to make a dission on a chambering reamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

.... cut at .004" over minimum. </div></div>

.004 over min headspace 9H? Nevermind I think you are implying .004 more freebore...

Well, I'm new here and stumbled over this thread looking for advice on a 308 reamer. Is the consensus to still contact Dave at PTG? Has something changed?

Well, I'm new here and stumbled over this thread looking for advice on a 308 reamer. Is the consensus to still contact Dave at PTG? Has something changed?
Search for Pacific tool and gauge.

Google 4d reamer rentals. I've not tried them, but there are good reviews out.