• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Superior to 6.5 Creedmoor CONFIRMED

not sure what F Class you're shooting

if you were talking sub 300y benchrest then yes
Yeah the one where they shoot rifles with stocks that are too straight to do anything else. I'm not shooting F Class, bench or really any other type of comps

Factory ammo out of both rifles.

Don’t talk to me about anecdotal evidence, efficient 6.5 bullets, drop or wind drift. Almost posted this in bear pit
I guess that if you can afford it, you shoot what you like. I have a good shooting 6.5CM rifle. But, regarding factory ammo from the "bang for the buck" aspect, I can't really justify it. Due to price and ammo availability, I end up shooting my 308 guns much more often. The farthest I normally shoot is at my home range. I have an 8" round plate at 764 and a 10" square plate at 956. To add to the difficulty, I shoot from different positions over barriers and over a pack or bags. My hit ratio is about the same with either the 6.5 or the 308 guns. The 6.5 is just more expensive to shoot.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Just got done measuring velocity from my 2 AR10 uppers and numbers don’t lie.

6.5 Creed 140 FMJ at 2480 is supersonic to 920 yards (0.4 MOA group)

308 Win 175 SMK at 2490 is supersonic to 1080 (1.25 MOA group)

To boot, the Creed has a 18” Criterion barrel vs the 308’s Ballistic Advantage 16” barrel.

Factory ammo out of both rifles.

Don’t talk to me about anecdotal evidence, efficient 6.5 bullets, drop or wind drift. Almost posted this in bear pit
Those are really anemic speeds. I'm shooting 153.5gr Berger LRHT at 2,760 FPS and 147-gr ELD-Ms at 2,850 FPS. Berger is supersonic out to 1,600 yards and the ELD-M to 1,400 yards. I'll stick with the 6.5 Man Bun myself. Everybody ought to shoot what they fancy.

It's all about bullet weight.
Physics.
I can lob big heavy bullets at low velocity and they will retain energy much better than light fast bullets due only to bullet weight.
You guys do know that buffalo hunters were shooting old Sharps rifles 800-1000 yards and more in the 1800s, stuff like 45-110 to 50-140.
Those old heavy bullets retained enough energy to kill a buffalo at that same 1000 yards.
Try that with your manbun cartridge of the weak.....I mean week.
I have a 45-70 Govt for shooting critters big to medium. I have a 6.5 Man Bun for shooting steel past 1,000-yards.

Those are really anemic speeds. I'm shooting 153.5gr Berger LRHT at 2,760 FPS and 147-gr ELD-Ms at 2,850 FPS. Berger is supersonic out to 1,600 yards and the ELD-M to 1,400 yards. I'll stick with the 6.5 Man Bun myself. Everybody ought to shoot what they fancy.
Please see post #1, 6, 7 and 9

giphy.gif

• Haha
The data in the first post is completely wrong. Everyone on the internet knows that .308 falls out of the sky at the 800yd line. It's really not .308AARP's fault though. By the 800yd mark, it's smoked the little tennis balls off the tiny walker it used to get there. Then it simply falls over from exhaustion.

Can someone post that meme of the guys on the podium and the guy shooting 308 partying and he ends up 3rd. I want to print that one out

I'm old and incontinent so I wear Depends pads. Used to shoot Palma and Fullbore. Liked lobbing small pills over great distances. Bit I digress. When I have to change my pads I started lobbing the used ones about 12 feet or so across the bathroom into a wastebasket. Started getting better but not too consistent. Finally I started noticing that the heavier pads had a flatter trajectory and were more accurately getting into the basket. That got me thinking about the weight of projectiles and how that might be as important as charge weight/velocity to accuracy. Anyway, I'll have to dig out my copy of "Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets" and see what Bryan Litz says about it. You can find inspiration in the strangest ways.
So now you piss in your diapers three times instead of two just to be able to hit the wastebasket?

I’ll buy it.

Reactions: gopherslayer

To add to my earlier post, another factor I give heavy consideration to is what rifles will be my SHTF guns. My 6.5 sits at the bottom of that list, simply because it's not a 308/7.62 or a 5.56. When it comes to a 1,000+ yard SHTF gun, I have an AR10 and another long gun both in 7.62 for that task. If I manage to escape the initial attack and live to fight another day, the invaders who capture my house will find the 6.5 sitting next to the .22 and 12 gauge bird gun.

To add to my earlier post, another factor I give heavy consideration to is what rifles will be my SHTF guns. My 6.5 sits at the bottom of that list, simply because it's not a 308/7.62 or a 5.56. When it comes to a 1,000+ yard SHTF gun, I have an AR10 and another long gun both in 7.62 for that task. If I manage to escape the initial attack and live to fight another day, the invaders who capture my house will find the 6.5 sitting next to the .22 and 12 gauge bird gun.
Wait, you don’t bury your other guns in the ground for SHTF?! Do you even prep bruh?! It’s your funeral.

• Haha