• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester

I have to thread my .308 Win... So I decided to chop some off of the 24" barrel for a more compact package with the added length of the suppressors. The shortest I've ever gone on .308 Win is 20", and it shot amazing. But back then I didn't even own a chrono, so I have no idea about velocities. LOL

How much velocity will I lose going from a 24" .308 Win to a 20" or possibly a 18" or 16.5" .308?

I have been told that a .308 Win will get nearly a full burn in a 16" barrel due to the large .30 caliber bore diameter. Is this true? If so, wouldn't the velocity increases be minimal after 16-18" barrel lengths? Just curious on some thoughts from those who have done this. I'm used to long barrels and stuff. This whole shorter barrel world is all new to me, but I'm looking forward to the adventure.
If you’d like some loads that I’ve worked up over the past few years, shoot me a PM. I have a 16” 308 and a 26” 308 and have used many powder and bullet combinations just experimenting for fun, especially in the shorter barrel.

Reactions: FuhQ
If you’d like some loads that I’ve worked up over the past few years, shoot me a PM. I have a 16” 308 and a 26” 308 and have used many powder and bullet combinations just experimenting for fun, especially in the shorter barrel.
I mostly use Varget, but have many other powders. And I have developed loads with 168 & 175 Nosler Custom Comps, and Bergers ranging from 168-215gr. With CCI 200’s and Federal 210/210M in Lapua brass.

Anything in that spectrum would be much appreciated. 👍🏼

Here's a new GAP I picked up Friday. 18 inch barrel, first 5 on paper @ 200 yards. Reloder 15 and 168 SMK. Added the HellFire Match to it.
20220402_153911.jpg

20220402_172032.jpg

Shot it for a second time on Monday. This load is just from a batch of 500 I made to use up some powder in November. Not worked up for any rifle.

20220406_235740.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rifle! That 18" barrel looks sharp. Any idea on velocity?
Do it. Shorty 308s are great. My 16” shot 175otm (44.8g Varget) @ 2595fps. I generally shoot to 500m max and it would hit a 6” plate over and over. I even won a club 600m f class match with it. Fun rifles.

I mostly use Varget, but have many other powders. And I have developed loads with 168 & 175 Nosler Custom Comps, and Bergers ranging from 168-215gr. With CCI 200’s and Federal 210/210M in Lapua brass.

Anything in that spectrum would be much appreciated. 👍🏼
If you are using pills 200g or above, I would use Lapua Palma brass as most of us in FTR are using. You can run them at higher pressure before the primer pockets give out.

If you are using pills 200g or above, I would use Lapua Palma brass as most of us in FTR are using. You can run them at higher pressure before the primer pockets give out.
I use Lapua brass. I have way too many boxes of unopened Lapua LR primer to go switching things up. Some of my brass has been loaded close to 10x, and the primer pockets are still fine. And I don’t load lightly.

Hey guys I have been playing phone tag with Berger past few days, so I thought I would ask here.
I have a 1-10T 700P that I shoot mostly at 200Y. Mostly shoot 175 match kings over 4064.
Was thinking about trying some Bergers as they shoot real well in a 223 I own.
So I am wondering what's the difference between the 175 OTM and the 175 long range target?
Also should I even consider the 185 Juggernauts as 99% of my shooting is 200Y.
Thanks!

185 is overkill in price for 200 yards compared to 175 smk. Juggernauts are great when going out to 1k on targets like 1 moa plates. But if you dont mind spending more, they are forgiving to reload.

Just about to load some ammo up for my ar10 just had a fews questions. Bought some imr4064 and 168 eldm's hoping I could get this to work as varget is hard to come by and expensive right now. Has anyone loaded or had any luck with this combo?

suppresed ar10 20" barrel
Imr4064
168 eldm
starline 308 lrp
fed 210m

FYI 4064 has fat kernels, so make sure to use a powder drop or you may end up with seating depth inconsistencies trying to compress them for mag length loads.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
FYI 4064 has fat kernels, so make sure to use a powder drop or you may end up with seating depth inconsistencies trying to compress them for mag length loads.
I do, and yes at times it can be a PITA.
Thanks

Just about to load some ammo up for my ar10 just had a fews questions. Bought some imr4064 and 168 eldm's hoping I could get this to work as varget is hard to come by and expensive right now. Has anyone loaded or had any luck with this combo?

suppresed ar10 20" barrel
Imr4064
168 eldm
starline 308 lrp
fed 210m
IMR-4064 has worked real well for me, but with 168 SMK's out of a bolt gun. I have no experience with the ELDM's. If those ELDM's work well out of your gun with Varget, then the 4064 should work just fine, once you've found the right charge weight. And the Fed 210 primers worked well for me to with theIMR-4064 and 168 SMK's.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
185 is overkill in price for 200 yards compared to 175 smk. Juggernauts are great when going out to 1k on targets like 1 moa plates. But if you dont mind spending more, they are forgiving to reload.
Ok, but what's the difference in the 175 OTM and the 175 LR BT Target?

Ok, but what's the difference in the 175 OTM and the 175 LR BT Target?

Go to their pages and scroll down to specifications. Open them up side by side. The most obvious thing that stands out is longer length on the Target bullet along with more bearing surface. Guessing the tactical bullet is shorter to accommodate magazines.

Anyone do any reloading for a HK91 (80s vintage)? I think the twist is in the range of 1-11.
It's for a friend but having seen what these thing do to brass I feel bad for the Lapua brass. :)

Why would he use Lapua brass in that rifle?! Just use whatever NATO shit is available. That rifle isn't accurate enough to make a difference.

Because you use what you have on hand.
JMG does make a solid point. The HK chambers ruin brass thanks to the flutes in them. I would also recommend buying bulk cheap 147 or 168 grain 7.62x51 NATO stuff. Hell, even steel cased shit will run fine, and contrary to Fuddlore, steel cased ammo does NOT ruin your gun, or your chamber, or cause premature wear and tear. Back when it was cheap and plentiful, I couldn't tell you how many thousands of rounds of steel cased .223 ammo I've shot, and never had any issues in any of my AR's. The chambers are all smooth and perfect.

Reactions: stanley_white
I need suggestions how much powder I need to start with.

168 gr HPBT
Imr 4064
Tulammo large rifle primers

Thanks
Oh you mean powder charge weight... I was going to say 8 lbs. should hold you for a while. 😂

For all my .308 Win loads, I've had awesome luck with Varget. It's my go-to, even though I have many other types sitting here. Especially for my 168 and 175 range loads that I use for inside of 500-600 yards. I do have an excellent Berger 210/215 Hyrbid load with Varget, and it's smoking for it's bullet weight.

I have been tempted to try IMR 7828 SSC in my .308 WIn. I do have a nice .260 Rem load using the Berger 153.5 and 156's with 7828 SSC, and it's putting 3 in the same hole.

• Wow
Reactions: ColinW
Picked up my old Gen1 R700 5R Milspec .308 Win from the smith yesterday afternoon.

Had him chop 2” off, and thread it, and install a DA KeyMount Brake and time it (no shims). So now it’s a 22” barrel, versus the original 24”. I was going to chop it down to 20”, but he would have had to break the barrel & action apart to do so, and price would have gone up.

It’s strictly a target/range gun, and it’s always shot off of bags or a bipod anyway, so barrel length really isn’t a big deal. But I’m very pleased with the outcome.

Before…

279ED87D-2647-46D5-AFF7-A8EB2FD04AA5.jpeg

After…

14B0283D-F7B0-47D3-9F90-73923D4D1798.jpeg

Oh you mean powder charge weight... I was going to say 8 lbs. should hold you for a while. 😂

For all my .308 Win loads, I've had awesome luck with Varget. It's my go-to, even though I have many other types sitting here. Especially for my 168 and 175 range loads that I use for inside of 500-600 yards. I do have an excellent Berger 210/215 Hyrbid load with Varget, and it's smoking for it's bullet weight.

I have been tempted to try IMR 7828 SSC in my .308 WIn. I do have a nice .260 Rem load using the Berger 153.5 and 156's with 7828 SSC, and it's putting 3 in the same hole.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.......Hold on....Wait a second....Everyone just relax! :LOL:

You're using 210 and/or 215 grain bullets in a .308 Win? :unsure: What kind of velocity are you getting? I'm dying to know the recipe! I have a s**t ton of Varget. I haven't been able to find any Berger 175 VLD's ANYWHERE online. So if I can find some 210's or 215's to push the distance, i'm all ears! My .308 Win. barrel is 1:9

Whoa, whoa, whoa.......Hold on....Wait a second....Everyone just relax! :LOL:

You're using 210 and/or 215 grain bullets in a .308 Win? :unsure: What kind of velocity are you getting? I'm dying to know the recipe! I have a s**t ton of Varget. I haven't been able to find any Berger 175 VLD's ANYWHERE online. So if I can find some 210's or 215's to push the distance, i'm all ears! My .308 Win. barrel is 1:9
Been shooting them for over a decade...In a 5R 11.25" twist barrel with amazing results. Years ago, Brian Litz (the head ballistician for Berger) used to converse with me over on Long Range Hunting before I got banned, and he ended up using them in his .308 Win for his first 1,000 yard match...And won. 😏

Velocities will vary due to any number of factors, but I was averaging around 2,400-2,500 FPS MV with the 24" barrel. If you run out a 215 Hybrid on a ballistics chart at 2,500 FPS MV, you'll be shocked when it busts the 6.5CM's ass at around 600 yards, and then there is no comparison out to 1,000 yards...The .308 Win 215 Hybrid wins hands-down in both drop and windage.

If you have a suppressor, you can also make a cool 215 Hybrid subsonic load with CCI 200's and TrailBoss powder. Sounds like an old Red Ryder BB gun if you get it down around 1,000 FPS MV. 😉

Been shooting them for over a decade...In a 5R 11.25" twist barrel with amazing results. Years ago, Brian Litz (the head ballistician for Berger) used to converse with me over on Long Range Hunting before I got banned, and he ended up using them in his .308 Win for his first 1,000 yard match...And won. 😏

Velocities will vary due to any number of factors, but I was averaging around 2,400-2,500 FPS MV with the 24" barrel. If you run out a 215 Hybrid on a ballistics chart at 2,500 FPS MV, you'll be shocked when it busts the 6.5CM's ass at around 600 yards, and then there is no comparison out to 1,000 yards...The .308 Win 215 Hybrid wins hands-down in both drop and windage.

If you have a suppressor, you can also make a cool 215 Hybrid subsonic load with CCI 200's and TrailBoss powder. Sounds like an old Red Ryder BB gun if you get it down around 1,000 FPS MV. 😉

I have no desire to have a subsonic rifle out of the muzzle. That's what my pistols are for :) I'm running a 24" M24 contour 1:9 barrel on a Rem. 700 action.

What's your load recipe for powder with the 210s & 215's? Many thanks!

I have no desire to have a subsonic rifle out of the muzzle. That's what my pistols are for :) I'm running a 24" M24 contour 1:9 barrel on a Rem. 700 action.

What's your load recipe for powder with the 210s & 215's? Many thanks!
That info I will not give. That's one of those work up at your own risk. To find a starting point, look into the Berger reloading manual. 👍🏼

You're missing out on the suppressed subsonic rifle part... Subs are VERY fun, even out to 200-500 yards with a precision rifle.

Reactions: ColinW

Does anyone have any accurate , like MOA or less using IMR 8208 ? The Hodgdon site lists it with 155 th 175 , just wanting to save the Varget , IMR 4064 and H 4895.

I am little perplexed by some load data I received yesterday. I am loading 185 grain Berger VLDs at 2.81". The info I received directly from Berger says a max load of Ram Tac is 41.3 grains with a start load of 37. However, Hodgens gave me a start load of 38 with a max of 43.2 ????? Both using 24" barrels, thats one hell of a discrepency. Im using the Berger data since its their projectile 🤷‍♂️

43.2 is hot for TAC and 185 gr, unless you are shooting in very cold weather. I wouldn't go that high. Stick with the 41.3 max using 185 bullets. And even that may be too much depending on your brass/rifle.

I am little perplexed by some load data I received yesterday. I am loading 185 grain Berger VLDs at 2.81". The info I received directly from Berger says a max load of Ram Tac is 41.3 grains with a start load of 37. However, Hodgens gave me a start load of 38 with a max of 43.2 ????? Both using 24" barrels, thats one hell of a discrepency. Im using the Berger data since its their projectile 🤷‍♂️

Remember, they’re called reloading “guides” for a reason.

Everybody does things differently.

Be your own ‘guide’ and err on the side of caution.

Learn how to interpret pressure signs.

Chris

Remember, they’re called reloading “guides” for a reason.

Everybody does things differently.

Be your own ‘guide’ and err on the side of caution.

Learn how to interpret pressure signs.

Chris
This!

No competitive FTR shooters (.308) are using anything close to what the recommended load data suggests. Conduct lot's of testing and find out what your rifle likes.

41.9gr of 8208 with a 175smk works well for me, lapua brass
THANK YOU, using Hodgdon's data site 42.5 is MAX and at 61.8 psi. Since I'm using Hornady match brass* I'll check case Vol. against some Lapua .
* first time I've run into crimped primers in commercial cases ??
Again, THANK YOU

THANK YOU, using Hodgdon's data site 42.5 is MAX and at 61.8 psi. Since I'm using Hornady match brass* I'll check case Vol. against some Lapua .
* first time I've run into crimped primers in commercial cases ??
Again, THANK YOU
It seams Hornady just loves to crimp everything, the bastards!

Reactions: Baddog 0302
It’s interesting to compare Max data. Remember that each manual is listing a maximum safe load. We have no way of knowing in most instances how that was determined or if it is at or near maximum pressure. In the case of Berger they actually sent me a page from the manual and stated the data was from QL. Also the 308 probably has the widest range of case capacity of any cartridge, on the order of 12%. In the standard Remington 308 the freebore makes the chamber a far cry from the standard SAAMI 308 chamber.

I bought the 8th Hornady manual years ago and was totally baffled by their data when compared to just about anyone else’s data. Digging further it turns out Hornady ran pressure tests in SAAMI test chambers to establish maximum load then shot the loads in a commercial rifle to establish velocity. Middle of page 76 if you want to check. Since Hornady lists loads in 100fps increments, the maximum loads are less than the tested maximum load pressure.