• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester

For a 308 AR10, what is the ideal bullet? The barrel is a 20 Krieger, 1:10 twist. Berger 155, 168, or sierra 168mk?
Thanks.

Every single rifle is different. But, I've always leaned towards shooting the heavy side of bullets for the given twist rate. Reason being, heavier bullets tend to stay supersonic over greater distances, which helps your hit percentage(i would think?). Here is Berger's twist calculator. Input your information and it'll spit out what's best, good or marginal.

Berger Bullet Twist Calculator

For an .308 AR10, I would think some 175's or 185's would be great. 200's shoot great in my .308 Rem. 700 with an M24 PVA 1:9 barrel.

Last edited:
I have tested N135 with the 168 SMK but it was just a test and I have not worked on it since.
N140 most excellent in 308 win especially with 165/168 gr
With 130/150/155 the IMR 8208

Last edited:
Do you prefer ccibr2 or fed 210m?
Unless you have one or both in your position it's what ever you can get and willing to pay the $$
To me, primers are just one part of accurate shooting , and probably can't tell the difference between all LRP's till the targets get past 200 yds. ALL else being equal ;ie, same rifle,same shooter, same brass, same powder, ect.ect.

With Varget CCI BR2
With IMR 4895/4064 Fed 210M
WW cases because they have the best capacity

I know 2 of my 308s are 1-10 but I just got a 308 with a 1-12 barrel with 5 grove barrel. I don't know what my FAL is.

I have 500 hornady 150 FMJ I plan to load up for plinking and 1600 168 match kings for some match type shooting.

I plan to to load during the winter for plinking and look to get into target loading in the spring.

I know 2 of my 308s are 1-10 but I just got a 308 with a 1-12 barrel with 5 grove barrel. I don't know what my FAL is.

I have 500 hornady 150 FMJ I plan to load up for plinking and 1600 168 match kings for some match type shooting.

I plan to to load during the winter for plinking and look to get into target loading in the spring.
FAL 1-12 made to shoot military ball 147 ammo just like the G3
One thing about FAL is slam fire and commercial ammo is too hot it will cause a slam fire I suggest to use military 7.62 or load at M14 service rifle level.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmithM21
Wanting to ditch my factory 20" Howa barrel, accuracy is not up to par after buying another gun with a Bartlien. Its not bad but it isn't great either. Will be shooting 155 smks and 150 FMJ stuff for plinking 1000y and in 99% of the time. Should I go to a 22 or 24" barrel? I like the way the 20 handles, only ever got up around 2750ish with the 155s though. Could push it harder I think that was with 46gr of Varget in federal cases at 2.79 COAL. That or move to 6.5... or build a seperate 6.5....

Wanting to ditch my factory 20" Howa barrel, accuracy is not up to par after buying another gun with a Bartlien. Its not bad but it isn't great either. Will be shooting 155 smks and 150 FMJ stuff for plinking 1000y and in 99% of the time. Should I go to a 22 or 24" barrel? I like the way the 20 handles, only ever got up around 2750ish with the 155s though. Could push it harder I think that was with 46gr of Varget in federal cases at 2.79 COAL. That or move to 6.5... or build a seperate 6.5....
Go 26" if you plan to shoot it to 1000 a lot. Doesn't hurt anything having a longer barrel unless you are hiking mountains with it.

Reactions: toxic
every FPS counts when you are stretching the legs....
I like 26" :)
But if given a choice between 22 or 24".. I'd go 24"

Last edited:
Reactions: toxic
For 1000 yds., the 6.5 (CR or PRC) with 24 - 26in would work better for you. I've got a 26" Krieger barrel on my .308 and the 169 SMK's has proving to do quite well at 1000 yds.

I love shooting my .308, but I went to a 6.5 PRC for LR shooting and it's so much better for that. I probably should have just gone with the Creedmoor as it's cheaper to shoot a lot and the barrel lasts longer. But the PRC does very well for me.

Just my $.02 here...

When it comes to target shooting, especially longer ranges, I advise people to go with the longest, heaviest profile barrel/fastest twist that is practical for that cartridge.

There may be limiting factors... Like weight restrictions or barrel length for certain competitions. And if you plan on competing in those matches that will dictate a lot of your choices... If you just want to punch paper/ring steel at distance because you enjoy it, then I stick by my advice above.

If it's a combo target/hunting setup then compromises may have to be made as well.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Mike

I love my 308 but if I were to re-barrel I would go with a 6.5CM. Not much reason not to. Less recoil, longer range, slightly cheaper to shoot. Only real reason not to is components on hand, barrel life, or sentimental value.

That said, the 169 SMK may be a reason to stay with the 308 if 1000 is the max range.

I'm looking to build a new .308 from the ground up. What action and barrel do you recommend? Where can I get them?
I won't live vicariously through your bank account , so what's your total budget including scope ? As well as time frame ? AND intended use ?
Just remember, the more specific your "wants" usually equals more of a wait.
I would check Northland for price comparisons and availability on actions, barrels and stocks .
Also , keep an eye on the classifieds
Northland shooters supply

Reactions: SERE8541
If he’s building my post was the cheapest I would go and don’t kill his bank account.
Well , I guess we can agree to disagree on the point of barrels and the OP's , as well as other shooters ability to prove that , in this case an Osprey barrel will shoot tighter groups that a Shilen barrel, plus since the OP said 308, how many different 308 chamberings does PVA offer ? Criterion offers 4 different one , all based on leade length and ID.

How cheap would you go? And if we based purchases on shooter ability a lot of people wouldn’t have rifles. 😉 Its what he wants to build.

@bohem can answer how many chamberings he has for .308 but the one he did in mine works great for long range bullets uses in a .308.

Reactions: SERE8541 and bohem
Well , I guess we can agree to disagree on the point of barrels and the OP's , as well as other shooters ability to prove that , in this case an Osprey barrel will shoot tighter groups that a Shilen barrel, plus since the OP said 308, how many different 308 chamberings does PVA offer ? Criterion offers 4 different one , all based on leade length and ID.
Enough options that if he wants to shoot 155 SMK's to 1000yd I've got a reamer that shot in the palma finals at the Worlds in 2015.

Which 4895 ? In my experience !MR is a bit more load density sensitive, if you are limited to either 4895 ans 150's I'd start with about 35 gn.
All of my reduced loads are with heavy cast {200 gn} and an M1A
Also, see if anyone in your area are willing to "loan" you either AA 5744 or Trail Boss
IMR 4895 has won a lot of matches in 30-06 and 308 Win over the years with 155 and 168 / 174gr

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific, and I don't mean to start a debate. This gun would be for hunting/field work mostly, so I want to keep the weight down. However, I would like it to hold an MOA out to 1000 yards. I don't want to build a $5K gun. I want to keep it on the economy side. All I need is an action, barrel and base metal. I would like to try using magazines on this build.

I have noticed when you post on Sniper's Hide, people often assume you don't know how to shoot.

Also I plan to use 175 Game Kings or Match Kings. I have the components already. 1:10 twist?

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific, and I don't mean to start a debate. This gun would be for hunting/field work mostly, so I want to keep the weight down. However, I would like it to hold an MOA out to 1000 yards. I don't want to build a $5K gun. I want to keep it on the economy side. All I need is an action, barrel and base metal. I would like to try using magazines on this build.

I have noticed when you post on Sniper's Hide, people often assume you don't know how to shoot.

Also I plan to use 175 Game Kings or Match Kings. I have the components already. 1:10 twist?
Do you have a stock already? If so that will determine your action. I'm not a fan but lots of people have good luck with Bergara. I think you can get a pretty good start here

Just needs a base, glass and rings. Then buy as much ammo as you can afford.

Reactions: SERE8541
Do you have a stock already? If so that will determine your action. I'm not a fan but lots of people have good luck with Bergara. I think you can get a pretty good start here

Just needs a base, glass and rings. Then buy as much ammo as you can afford.
My wife has that rifle but it's the Wilderness with the badass camo stock. It's a nice gun and shoots well but that 20" barrel kind of limits it a bit... It throws a 175 SMK about 2550-2580 depending on temperature (IMR 4064 @42.5 gr).

Granted, I don't push it hard because the wife doesn't like heavy recoil... And I don't see any point wrecking that nice Lapua brass.

I'm sure it could toss a 175 to 1k I just don't know how much scope you'll use up getting it there without running it through the ballistic app.

If it had come with a 24" barrel I probably would've taken it away from her already.😇

Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-171434.png
    Screenshot_20221211-171434.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20221211-171415.png
    Screenshot_20221211-171415.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Alaska

What is economy to you? We need a number. To some it's $5000 to others it's $500.

And you say action, barrel and bottom metal but do you want to put it together or having someone do it? Do you have a stock?

And MOA at 1000 will be very iffy with a factory rifle or going real cheap. If you really want that then you might want to make sure you get parts that can help you do it.

And do you have the 175 GK and SMKs? If not there are a ton of better bullets for shooting to 1000 with a .308.

Just some thoughts. The 20" barrel costs the 308 about 25-30 fps per inch of barrel length which is definitely a penalty when trying to reach 1000yds. The 308 originally was a 12 twist and that is also a bit of a limitation so going with a 10 or 11.25 is a better better option for the higher BC bullets.

Since you want this for hunting you are looking at keeping the weight down. A 20" heavy barrel is going to be around 9 to 10 lbs with scope. A 24" spotter barrel is going to be around 7-1/2 lbs with scope. Expecting a sporter barrel to hold a consist 1 MOA at 1000yds is asking a lot. I think your expectations are counter productive here.

Reactions: Old Corps 8541
A lot of good info on this sticky. Here is my go-to load for the 308…

165 gr Sierra HP
45 gr Varget
CCI LRP

This load shoots very good in all my 308’s.
M1A, Bergara B14, Ruger 77 HB (tang safety model), older Rem 700 HB, and a 2A Armament AR10.
I’ve tried several different loads in past few years, but always come back to this combination.

Love the Bergara Ridge 22” with its No 5 weight barrel……..extremely accurate with 168gr MK and 45.0 of Varget in WW cases with BR2 primers. Love that factory trigger ! And 1-10 twist
Note it says 22” but it measures closer to 21” without brake.

Attachments

• 9D6A2955-A49B-413E-95E7-EC402518CE12.jpeg
    9D6A2955-A49B-413E-95E7-EC402518CE12.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
My wife has that rifle but it's the Wilderness with the badass camo stock. It's a nice gun and shoots well but that 20" barrel kind of limits it a bit... It throws a 175 SMK about 2550-2580 depending on temperature (IMR 4064 @42.5 gr).

Granted, I don't push it hard because the wife doesn't like heavy recoil... And I don't see any point wrecking that nice Lapua brass.

I'm sure it could toss a 175 to 1k I just don't know how much scope you'll use up getting it there without running it through the ballistic app.

If it had come with a 24" barrel I probably would've taken it away from her already.😇

Mike
Suggest WW brass for increased powder space or Black Hills Match .
45.0 of Varget 175 SMK in WW cases with BR2 primers

Last edited:
Suggest WW brass for increased powder space.
45.0 of Varget 175 SMK in WW cases with BR2 primers
I would have better luck finding a hen's tooth in a pile of four leaf clovers than finding Winchester brass right now.

Mike

So will a 198 Seneca from PVA... in fact, there's no conventional bullet that can match the performance even in larger calibers.
Can you provide more info? I've been shooting F class a long time and can say I've never seen or heard of these ever being used in F class match. At least where I have competed.

Can you provide more info? I've been shooting F class a long time and can say I've never seen or heard of these ever being used in F class match. At least where I have competed.
You may have seen them under the name "Flatline"
The larger sisters to the 198 are 212 and 241 respectively. The performance of those bigger ones with larger calibers is just nuts. I have a 300 WSM shooting 241's and it outruns my friend's 375CT

You may have seen them under the name "Flatline"
The larger sisters to the 198 are 212 and 241 respectively. The performance of those bigger ones with larger calibers is just nuts. I have a 300 WSM shooting 241's and it outruns my friend's 375CT
I've got a 9 twist Krieger in the works for my 300 Win Mag... When it starts getting close you can probably expect an order on some of those 198's.

Mike

Reactions: bohem
For 1000 yds., the 6.5 (CR or PRC) with 24 - 26in would work better for you. I've got a 26" Krieger barrel on my .308 and the 169 SMK's has proving to do quite well at 1000 yds.
what's your MV with the 169s in the 26" Krieger? Have you shot 175s? If so, any noticeable difference?

what's your MV with the 169s in the 26" Krieger? Have you shot 175s? If so, any noticeable difference?
My 169 SMK's like to be at 2760 -2780 ft per second, which I got with 3 different powders that performed nicely (AR-Comp, H4895 and IMR-4064). I like the AR-Comp best. And, OH YES! There's a significant difference in MV with whatever powder I've used. For the 175 SMK's, I couldn't find a good accuracy node at that high end and pressure was too high. IMR-4065 did well enough at ~ 50 - 60 fps less (like 2725 fps). Note too the difference in BC: 168 SMK's - .527, 175 SMK's - .505