• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .308win ammo for Elk

Re: .308win ammo for Elk

i can spot elk from my livingroom window most days, and i've been hunting, guiding for and eating elk for over 40 years but have never met a serious hunter whose favorite elk rifle was a .308.

RGraff: I don't believe anyone was saying the .308 was favored...just adequate.

Agreed. Just trying to give the guy a hand in choosing what might the proper ammo for his 308 Win during his elk hunt.

.204 RUGER IS THE BEST ELK CARTRIDGE! I was hunting last year bout mid July out West and took this bull with it. I was walking down a mountain and saw that DUDE standing across from me on the other mountain. I know how flat shootin that .204 is so I whipped up my rifle and held a little over his NECK. Gave that suhweet charles daly trigger a yank and HE INSTANTLY DROPPED IN HIS TRACKS!!! It was just over 1700 yards and THAT .204 RUGER did THE TRICK. I know it was just over 1700 yards because I counted my steps when I walked over there.

I'll be taking the old .204 with me to KODIAK ISLAND this year so I can get a couple grizzlies under my belt!

Anyway, here is a couple pics of her.

I didn't realize cow elk had horns??? Is that not normal?

fp5f80.jpg

Here it is a few hours after I killed it. I think laying in the sun dead caused its skin to turn whiter.

2emd1fp.jpg

I don't know who those jokers are standing next to MY ELK. They must have took this pic while I went back to camp to get my skinning knife!
13zbsqg.jpg

For what it's worth I've been hunting Wapiti since I was 12, and I actually started off using a 7mm Rem Mag, and then switched to a 30-06, and now all I use is a 308.

308 is more than adequate for Elk at reasonable ranges. Like so many have said, as long as you don't have something ridiculous like a .204 Ruger, SHOT PLACEMENT is really the only thing that matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">polymer tips,got one better,I loaded some 150 grain,I think they were Remington bullets with a brass tip,alittle stronger than plastic.</div></div>

Hey ive got 5 full boxes of those things there pretty old.

Ive loaded a bunch of stuff for people everyones got their own opinion on "what works". Last October my cousin was going deer hunting in Missouri. Hes got a .300 Win mag in the SPS stainless. He was wanting for me to load some Nosler ballistic tips for him but I was low on my 180 gr bullets. I loaded up some Nosler Partitions (flat nose) verson, and according to him 2 shot and 2 dead deer later they hit like the hammer of thor. The Nosler Partition has my respect for a great hunting bullet.

HEY!!!

You guys better get off of my mentor Waveone, he knows everything there is to know about killin! Especially you Mr. Montana Marine Poopy Pants.

You wanna dance with me??? You better think twice about that mister. I'll have you know I'm 5'3" tall and weigh 135lbs soaking wet with a 3" hard-on, pretty impressive I know.

Let me tell you something else while I'm at it. I'm also a certified 15th degree teenage mutant ninja turtle pink belt so don't fuck with me or my buddy, and that goes for ALL of you cocksuckers!!!

Oh, one more thing; If you don't think I know about hunting your dead wrong, because I'm the jack rabbit, tweety bird killinest mother fucker you ever met! Shot placement....Please...I just stare at them and they fall over dead.

Sincerely,

Mr. Bad-Ass

Winchester at one time made a load that was called the failsafe,i dont know that much about the load except that it had a steel base they claimed was a great penetrator and would keep 96% of its original weight.Whether or not this is true i do not no.
I have talked to afew people that used them out west on elk out of 308s they said they worked great on them but they were not the most accurate round.If i remember they said they didnt feel very good about taking a poke at one at any more than 300 yds.They also said anything up to, and including 300yds would acheive complete penetration.
Like many loads that are not that popular im pretty sure they discontinued this load.I do still a few boxes every once in awhile at gun shows..........just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, accordly to Nosler,ballatic polymer tips are for deer and the "regular" Nosler partition bullets in that grain are for elk' Them Remington brass tip 150 grains bullets are still available,I think from Midway.... </div></div>

when i still kind of liked my .308, i shot a coyote (coming in to the call at less than 100 yards) square in the chest with a 150 gr NBT loaded right to max. there was no exit. i sort of expected coyote confetti. in fairness, those were early ballistic tips, but i pretty much wrote off ballistic tips for anything larger than whitetail.

the Remington Bronze Point seem to be just about as fragile. i still have a box or two of those.

How I came about knowing about the Remy Bronze tip,was many years ago,I pulled into Knab,Utah...movieland,truck stop in my semi truck. Had a flat tire,the tireman that fix it dicover the Remy Bronze tip bullet inside the tire,,,,,Da...someone shooting at me...maybe the ex..anyway ,did a little sreaching and cameon to the bronze tip bullets,loaded up some for the old 30-06,did shoot pretty well. I've taken a nickel plated case,added a bonze colored primer and the Remy Bronze tip bullet,makes a very cool looking cartidge!!!!

Wave. I'm pretty sure that you understand the majority. We stand behind Montana. I'm sorry that you had to get crushed like that but you did really come off like you knew everything and everyone else was wrong.... When I was 18 I thought I knew everything ....The older I get , I realize that there are other people that know alot more about certain subjects than I do. When I am around the people that know best or atleast more than I .......I listen..... There are subjects that I am very skilled at and I guess concidered an expert at and to those less experienced then I, I can offer some advice to those that know less than me..... It's okay not to be the expert at shooting no matter how bad we want to be.......Listen , learn and gain wisdom and experience and then one day you might become one of the top dogs ( I'm not)..... Swallow your pride, I have to when I know that I'm wrong....... I'm okay with " not" being the expert at everything.......... I have alot of grey hairs and a small bit of wisdom.....I Think...... SmokeRolls