• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.338 L/m oal primative measure

338sniper

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Shooting .338 L/M in a savavge 110 ba. I took a fired case and put a 250 grain lapua scenar hpbt in and slowly closed the bolt and took a measurement of 3.704 . My sierra reload book says a max of 3.681 , a difference of .023 . Questions . Was my measurement viable and if so what would you guys recommend setting oal . Thanks in advance

Re: .338 L/m oal primative measure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serenesniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting .338 L/M in a savavge 110 ba. I took a fired case and put a 250 grain lapua scenar hpbt in and slowly closed the bolt and took a measurement of 3.704 . My sierra reload book says a max of 3.681 , a difference of .023 . Questions . Was my measurement viable and if so what would you guys recommend setting oal . Thanks in advance </div></div>

Not really.

Bullets can get hung up in the lands and be pulled back out, slightly.

You can use the 'dummy' method, if you want. Take a fired case, put a slight dent onto the case mouth and just barely insert a bullet so that it's gripped by the case mouth and color it entirely with a dry erase marker, or Sharpie.

Now, if you can remove your ejector from your bolt, you can do this now, if not, carry on.

Take the dummy cart and insert it gently into the chamber and close the bolt. Open the bolt and remove the case. The bullet should be stuck in the lands, so tap it out GENTLY with a cleaning rod and look to see where the ink has been scraped off, as the bullet gets pushed back into the case mouth, due to hitting the lands.

Take the bullet and CAREFULLY place it back into the case mouth up until that point where the ink is missing and measure.

Repeat this step four more times and average out those measurements.

You can also buy the Hornady modified cases and OAL gage and go that route, for your weapons.

Chris