• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum

Yeah, that's nuts. 300s @ 2750 fps is about as good as most people get out of 26-28" barrels. For comparison, I can push 300s to 3050 fps....with a .338LM Improved 40 and a 36" barrel.
Side NOTE:
Anyone know Berger's secret sauce on their 338LM 250 grains at 3,000 3005 fps? I wonder what powder they use

PS - If I won the lottery, I'd never reload again :) ; I'd buy Berger or have someone else do the leg work...
While it's fun, it's akin to getting 12 cuckoo clocks to all go off at the same time.

When I first started shooting .338LM in the 00s, my fastest 250 loads were with RL25 or N560. I was getting around 2950 fps out of a 26" barrel, but both were pretty hot loads.

It's really hard to imagine a commercial load performing like that, but hey, that's cool if it in fact works safely.

Reactions: babyguppy
When I first started shooting .338LM in the 00s, my fastest 250 loads were with RL25 or N560. I was getting around 2950 fps out of a 26" barrel, but both were pretty hot loads.

It's really hard to imagine a commercial load performing like that, but hey, that's cool if it in fact works safely.
N560, I was on the hot side around 3035 fps, I started to get some good ES, SDs. Beger 250 Hunters were 2983 fps avg out of my 27" barrel.
N170 got me there as well, but I preferred N560.
Then, I'm thinking, do I want to really shoot such a hot load and decrease the barrel life.
Then the other side of the brain goes, but why buy a Ferrari, if you aren't going to drive fast....
Then the ex's lawyer says, if you have $$ to shoot, you aren't paying enough.....

I bought 110 rounds of factory Lapua 250gr scenar's for the cost of the brass alone.
They chrono at over 3000 fps but the accuracy is garbage out of my rifle.
I'm going to pull them and see if I can reduce the load and improve accuracy.

Hi guys,

Hoping I can ask y'all for some more help here because I'm not really satisfied with the results I'm getting. I shot some more groups over the weekend again using 300 gr bergers, and N570 out of lapua brass and CCI 250's at 100 yards. I had some pretty strong gusts of wind up to 11mph, but it was mostly a tail wind I thought, so maybe that's a factor here, but I'm really chasing hole on hole performance out of the AX338. I also measured the length of the bergers and noticed they're off a couple of thousandth's here and there, so instead of measuring for 3.895 COAL, I measured a 3.035 oal to OGIVE instead - I checked every round too, and if it was off 1 thousandth I let it slide, but if I was off 2 thousandths I would redo it. I'm using a Forster press and have redding S type dies. Can 1thousandth of a difference really give this much of a difference on velocity? Because my velocity is all over the place.

For my 89 gr load, the velocities went (in this order) --> 2661 - 2748 - 2782 - 2837 - 2980. That's honestly not encouraging results. I was hoping for a 50fps range, and I waited almost a full minute inbetween shots if not more. It was measured via a caldwell on a tripod, at 5 yards from muzzle.

For my 90 Grain bullet (I did adjust down 6 clicks and left 2 - 1/4 MOA per click). But then can't get any holes touching. Velocities were --> 2820 - 2955 - ERROR - ERROR - 2805 (thanks Caldwell...)

92 Grain --> 2814 - 2814 - ERROR (srs wtf) - 2849 - 2843

And the groups are below. I'm not the best shot in the world, and wind was present, but is it wrong to expect hole on hole performance? The trigger on the AX isn't spectacular, and the rifle was born in 2012, but I'm in over my head now and not sure what to try next.

Dime Drills? Look at target #3.
100 yards and 2 rounds touching and 1" higher, 2 rounds almost touching.

It sounds like you are an experienced reloader so I will discount that aspect. To get those variations in velocity I believe it must be either inconsistent powder charges or chronograph is bad. What do you use for measuring your powder charges? What do you use for your chronograph?

most likely issues in general are you, powder, bullet, barrel, seating depth, or some combination of those.

Are you sure this load is good for this gun? Have you tried RETUMBO or RL33 or altering seating depth?

It sounds like you are an experienced reloader so I will discount that aspect. To get those variations in velocity I believe it must be either inconsistent powder charges or chronograph is bad. What do you use for measuring your powder charges? What do you use for your chronograph?

Using a national metallic digital powder scale. Was very meticulous about this process. Can't say I rushed anything, and was using a caldwell chronorgraph, which yeah is the McDonalds version of Chronographs, but I'm hesitant to just blame that.

most likely issues in general are you, powder, bullet, barrel, seating depth, or some combination of those.

Are you sure this load is good for this gun? Have you tried RETUMBO or RL33 or altering seating depth?

I haven't yet done any loads at the standard 338 case length, but I guess I will try. My initial goal was to just push the biggest bullet as fast as possible and then choose whichever load gave acceptable accuracy. Retumbo is going for $75 a pound on gb right now, so maybe I pick a pound up, wanted to use what I had first though.

N570 is a damned good powder for .338LM with 300s, so don't get too wrapped around the axle about the powder choice. Still, when doing load dev for a new cartridge, it never hurts to try a few different powders. Your velocity variation is unusual and not the kind of thing subtle COAL differences will cause. That's often a powder charge issue, but the delta is high enough in that 89gr string that I would be scratching my head.

My initial goal was to just push the biggest bullet as fast as possible and then choose whichever load gave acceptable accuracy.
that's my concern, that you are evaluating a narrow selection of the variables and their ranges. big, fast, long, hotrod powder.
And accuracy and velocity SD not acceptable, so the goals may need reconsidered.
How are you with shooting the big magnums? When I said "it's either you...." I meant your shootiong, not your reloading

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
that's my concern, that you are evaluating a narrow selection of the variables and their ranges. big, fast, long, hotrod powder.
And accuracy and velocity SD not acceptable, so the goals may need reconsidered.
How are you with shooting the big magnums? When I said "it's either you...." I meant your shootiong, not your reloading

I need to improve my shooting most definitely. I'm not used to this cartridge/rig at all, but I am destined to get out of my 6.5 comfort zone.

I’m working on burning up my fourth 338 barrel, and each of them took much longer to get shooting well, then it should have if I had been a better shooter to remove that variable from load development.

Ideally, you have a good recoil management device, pay extra careful attention to your form, and don’t shoot too many rounds in a given session.

device, pay extra careful attention to your form, and don’t shoot too many rounds in a given session.
Because reasons I had to shoot 94 rounds out of my 375 cheytac in one range session. Not even sure I was hitting in the same zip code as the target towards the end there. 🤣

Was able to shoot this group over the weekend on Saturday. 100 yards, with a 300 gr berger and 92 gr of N570. Definitely a lot happier about my results, and owe thanks to y'all. Was able to hit a gong at 1,220 yards on the first shot after dialing the scope. So much happier than I was a few weeks ago with this rifle.

That was basically my .338LM 300gr load for many years...

Yeah, that’s a great load and don’t get greedy and deviate from it at least not till you shot 500 rounds and burned up your barrel and decided to go to a milder powder like Mutombo for the next barrel lol

In all seriousness, 570 scorches barrels, pretty hard

Try N170 if you want to save the throat and extend barrel life. Single-base vs Double-base powders generate less heat, but you will lose about 75-120fps. But if you think of barrels as consumables, and performance matters above all else, then N570 is the way to go ;)

So I'm helping get a friend up to speed with reloading and we set out to make a clone of the BH 300SMK load that shoots exceptionally well in one of his rifles. First off, I chrono'd five rounds and was floored he was getting an avg 2881fps out of a 27" barrel with this factory load (that's well over 100fps more than I would expect, and while there were no obvious pressure signs, I did get the impression it was getting close).

I measured a 3.59" COAL and pulled a few rounds to look at the powder: 99.9gr of some kind of ball powder. That really narrows the options.

What say you? Doesn't this look like US 869?

1696803892274.png

I'm under no illusions that this could be some proprietary powder, especially given those insane velocities, but I'm just curious what others think?

Reactions: lash
So I'm helping get a friend up to speed with reloading and we set out to make a clone of the BH 300SMK load that shoots exceptionally well in one of his rifles. First off, I chrono'd five rounds and was floored he was getting an avg 2881fps out of a 27" barrel with this factory load (that's well over 100fps more than I would expect, and while there were no obvious pressure signs, I did get the impression it was getting close).

I measured a 3.59" COAL and pulled a few rounds to look at the powder: 99.9gr of some kind of ball powder. That really narrows the options.

View attachment 8244642

I'm under no illusions that this could be some proprietary powder, especially given those insane velocities, but I'm just curious what others think?
I have some 2460 that's round.. hard to tell size on the net.. ;)
GUEST_6351ae19-509d-4d3f-9efa-6688eb0004a6

US 869 seems way too slow for .338LM, however I just did a comparison with Ramshot LRT and they look remarkably similar. And Western says the max load for that combo is 101gr, so we may have a winner.

Try N170 if you want to save the throat and extend barrel life. Single-base vs Double-base powders generate less heat, but you will lose about 75-120fps. But if you think of barrels as consumables, and performance matters above all else, then N570 is the way to go ;)
Do you run n170? What load are you using?
I’m running 90.5gr n170 with 300smk 2710fps.

i had the following with N170, sako TRG 42 stock (1 -10 twist)
N170 / 300 grains Bergers / FPS / 3/72" COAL (maximum mag length) / petersen brass / BR2 lg rifle mag primers
92 - 2794
93 - 2802
94 - 2828
95 - 2852
92.4 was the sweet spot in my rifle
I stopped working this load, because H1000 worked better in my rifle.
*remember - always work up your loads, safety first. God only gave you two eyes

Reactions: Jeffsg61
i had the following with N170, sako TRG 42 stock (1 -10 twist)
N170 / 300 grains Bergers / FPS / 3/72" COAL (maximum mag length) / petersen brass / BR2 lg rifle mag primers
92 - 2794
93 - 2802
94 - 2828
95 - 2852
92.4 was the sweet spot in my rifle
I stopped working this load, because H1000 worked better in my rifle.
*remember - always work up your loads, safety first. God only gave you two eyes
True, and as mentioned above, if you’re after accuracy versus just velocity, life is better for both you and the barrel.

Reactions: babyguppy
I'm using N170 with .300NM. For .338LM I'm still using N570 - I'm down to my last barrel. The rest of my .338's are Improved 40s using RL33.

how fast you want to go... How much do you want to spend ;) holds true in shooting

Yes, it’s a good fit for 300s. For 250s, you want something a bit faster like N560.

I was able to buy 10 pounds of Retumbo for only $52 a pound on Natchez site.

Do you guys have recipes for Retumbo and a 300 gr Berger?

Was also able to hit my goal of hitting a mile long shot this weekend. Actually hit it twice in a row too.

I haven’t used Retumbo in a .338LM since 2008, but when I did my load was 93gr. I think book max was 94gr, so it’s fairly hot and you should work up to it to make sure it’s safe on your end.

I haven’t used Retumbo in a .338LM since 2008, but when I did my load was 93gr. I think book max was 94gr, so it’s fairly hot and you should work up to it to make sure it’s safe on your end.
Why’s that? I thought Retumbo was the G.O.A.T 338lm powder.

It’s popular, yes. I’m just such a total reloading hipster that I refuse to use things that are popular just so I can be contrarian. I mean dude, come on, I’m still evangelizing N570 here while others bitch about it burning barrels. Oh and I also wrap my thumb around the pistol grip. So pfffft.

It’s popular, yes. I’m just such a total reloading hipster that I refuse to use things that are popular just so I can be contrarian. I mean dude, come on, I’m still evangelizing N570 here while others bitch about it burning barrels. Oh and I also wrap my thumb around the pistol grip. So pfffft.
Let me guess you also shoot prone?

Sarcasm^ of course..

I was able to buy 10 pounds of Retumbo for only $52 a pound on Natchez site.

Do you guys have recipes for Retumbo and a 300 gr Berger?

Was also able to hit my goal of hitting a mile long shot this weekend. Actually hit it twice in a row too.
lots of great receipes here

I to, have been successful in hitting a target at 1 mile :)
108121d1426987361-show-us-your-targets-barn-target-1.jpg

• Haha
lots of great receipes here

I to, have been successful in hitting a target at 1 mile :)
108121d1426987361-show-us-your-targets-barn-target-1.jpg
It’s Too* by the way ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: lash and babyguppy
So my brother has an early 12 twist trg 42 that favors 250's. He's got 200 rounds of prime 300gr ammo that it doesn't particularly care for. Planning on pulling the 300's and setting some different 250's to see if we can utilize it and at least fire form some brass.

He wants to buy some components while stuff is available. If a guy was going to buy 8lbs of powder for a 338lm on a whim to shoot 250gr bullets what would you get ?

I ran 250s out of 1:10 barrels for about a decade and used RL25 and N560. The latter is much more temp stable. H1000 and Retumbo are also very popular with .338LM in general. Unfortunately, with the exception of N560, all of those powders will be hard to find.

Here you go guys. Retumbo has been in stock for two weeks now. Get you sum.

Though I tend to prefer H1000 or other faster powder for the 250s.

Reactions: XP1K

View attachment 8244642

That’s 869.

Mega speed in 50BMG too. For a while the Hornady factory ammo was loaded w it, but now they use RL50 last time I checked

It seems to match Ramshot LRT. I did a pressure ladder up to the load charge weight and the velocity was pretty close. 869 should be too slow.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Has anybody used StaballHD in the lapua yet ?

It's right after retumbo on the burn rate. Too slow for 250's ?

N560 seems to be around, h1k is nowhere to be found, retumbo seems to be disappearing fast.

Probably too slow...

1700065583941.png

Even Retumbo is slow with 250s. Here you can see even at 99% case fill you're still just barely cracking 41k PSI and velocity is anemic for 250s.

1700065659812.png

N560 is a much better fit

Reactions: lash and XP1K